DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yeah. At the rights fees, inflation adjusted, were miniscule compared to today. For example, the NBA got $1.5M the year ESPN launched. Its current contract is $2.2B.

Sports on TV before ESPN and TBS consisted of 4 to 6 hours on the weekends on three networks, the playoffs (one round) and World Series, and Monday night football. College football was one game of the week. Baseball got two, Saturday afternoon and Monday night. Football was 1 & 4 plus Monday night. The NBA was mostly on tape delay. College basketball was regularly broadcast in its regular season. In the largest cities, the local baseball, and in a few places, NHL team might have some locally produced games, but MLB's agreement with MiLB prohibited local telecasts being syndicated to other markets if the market had an MiLB team playing at home.

Max hours might be 20 in the largest city.
Yep, perfect example how things have evolved since then and will continue to evolve to a streaming model and then who knows, maybe some kind of VR to make you feel like you are at the game.

Then, a Holodeck, until the computer has a issue and all the Holograms try to kill you.

Yeah. At the rights fees, inflation adjusted, were miniscule compared to today. For example, the NBA got $1.5M the year ESPN launched. Its current contract is $2.2B.

Sports on TV before ESPN and TBS consisted of 4 to 6 hours on the weekends on three networks, the playoffs (one round) and World Series, and Monday night football. College football was one game of the week. Baseball got two, Saturday afternoon and Monday night. Football was 1 & 4 plus Monday night. The NBA was mostly on tape delay. College basketball was regularly broadcast in its regular season. In the largest cities, the local baseball, and in a few places, NHL team might have some locally produced games, but MLB's agreement with MiLB prohibited local telecasts being syndicated to other markets if the market had an MiLB team playing at home.

Max hours might be 20 in the largest city.
Athletes made reasonable salaries and hot dogs didn't cost $20 at the stadium either

Athletes made reasonable salaries and hot dogs didn't cost $20 at the stadium either
And owners were millionaires and now they are billionaires......Stadiums same thing....Its that the middle class keeps shrinking

Of course, it is a mistake to extrapolate the numbers about people dropping linear TV (and these are not reported, as the number that simply cord-switched from cable or satellite to a streaming linear service are not reported, but are certainly substantial) as some sort of trend.
The numbers are reported with the exception of DirecTV stream, Hulu Live has 4 Million, 5 Million for YTTV, 2 Million for Sling and a few hundred thousand for Fubo, so maybe 13 million ( guessing over a million for Stream) vs 32 million leaving Traditional Providers.

Also we, at the end of last quarter with the loss of another 2.1 million gone ( and they think it could be more because of DirecTV not reporting anymore), Traditional TV subs were at 68 million, now 2nd Quarter numbers are starting to come out, with just 3 companies reporting, already over 800,000 lost, looking at least another 2 million gone.
Rather, a new choice was available, and those who want that choice, which, more than anything is to save $$ and do that because the do not like sports, which an outsized cost on linear TV. Those who want that choice have mostly all moved. We are very near to peak streaming.
We are nowhere near peak, as more and more leave Traditional Live TV, they usually will pick up more services.

For example, here in the U.S., 40 million subscribe to Paramount+, that leaves 90 Million more Households that do not yet, so plenty of customers they can attract.
The churn issue with streaming is also, certainly, a thing. The nature of the product makes it so that it is easy to go from one to the next to the next, Bingeing whatever you want and then moving on. It is the nature of the technology.
Please prove your churn issue, I believe it is just another talking point, the evidence is every streaming company went up in subscribers last quarter, gaining millions of subs, except Netflix, Sling and Fubo, and the totals of those losses is still less then the losses of Traditional TV in the same quarter.
As to what alternative ESPN has, lots of people at Disney are working on that. Same at its imitators. As with any marketing question, there is not always an answer. ESPN can never sell the service a la carte. Doing so undoes all of its linear contracts.
New contracts every 3-5 years, ESPN can go and say we will not ask for a increase in the per sub fees, but we want the rights to put the content on our app.

How do I know that could work, someone already did it, Discovery, that is what they did with every new contract, took about 3 years to plan out, now they have a streaming service only 2 years old, all it does show content that was already on their Cable Channels, it has about 25 million subs and gaining more, so that is, at least, $1.5 Billion a year for a bunch of reruns.

It also means they still get the per sub fees from Traditional Providers.
Which, since it can never be sold a la carte, and those who do not wish to pay are no longer doing so, we are at the point where the bids for sports rights, and thus sports salaries, start to go down. Breaks my heart.

Rights will not go down, that is why sports leagues are looking into streaming services, MLB got a extra $85 million a year just for one game a week, NFL got a billion dollars a year for TNF, NHL got $450 million from ESPN.

As more rights come available, Apple, Amazon and rest will keep bidding more $$$$ then what Traditional TV will pay, the Sports Leagues will just be happy to take more.
As to the unique thing that is ST, different rules apply. It is unprofitable on a cash basis, and will continue to be. The only question that remains is which of these two streamers will buy it and predicate access upon buying their general streamers, which many people, and most all public houses, have no use for.
Again, we have no idea what Apple or Amazon has planned for NFLST, but these are two com that have shown they know what they are doing, no one has said this new version of ST will be like the old.

The numbers are reported with the exception of DirecTV stream, Hulu Live has 4 Million, 5 Million for YTTV, 2 Million for Sling and a few hundred thousand for Fubo, so maybe 13 million ( guessing over a million for Stream) vs 32 million leaving Traditional Providers.

Also we, at the end of last quarter with the loss of another 2.1 million gone ( and they think it could be more because of DirecTV not reporting anymore), Traditional TV subs were at 68 million, now 2nd Quarter numbers are starting to come out, with just 3 companies reporting, already over 800,000 lost, looking at least another 2 million gone.

We are nowhere near peak, as more and more leave Traditional Live TV, they usually will pick up more services.

For example, here in the U.S., 40 million subscribe to Paramount+, that leaves 90 Million more Households that do not yet, so plenty of customers they can attract.

Please prove your churn issue, I believe it is just another talking point, the evidence is every streaming company went up in subscribers last quarter, gaining millions of subs, except Netflix, Sling and Fubo, and the totals of those losses is still less then the losses of Traditional TV in the same quarter.

New contracts every 3-5 years, ESPN can go and say we will not ask for a increase in the per sub fees, but we want the rights to put the content on our app.

How do I know that could work, someone already did it, Discovery, that is what they did with every new contract, took about 3 years to plan out, now they have a streaming service only 2 years old, all it does show content that was already on their Cable Channels, it has about 25 million subs and gaining more, so that is, at least, $1.5 Billion a year for a bunch of reruns.

It also means they still get the per sub fees from Traditional Providers.

Rights will not go down, that is why sports leagues are looking into streaming services, MLB got a extra $85 million a year just for one game a week, NFL got a billion dollars a year for TNF, NHL got $450 million from ESPN.

As more rights come available, Apple, Amazon and rest will keep bidding more $$$$ then what Traditional TV will pay, the Sports Leagues will just be happy to take more.

Again, we have no idea what Apple or Amazon has planned for NFLST, but these are two com that have shown they know what they are doing, no one has said this new version of ST will be like the old.
The reason people left traditional providers for streaming is cost cough sports cough...moving expensive sports to streaming does not mean that more will get more subscribers..people don't hate cable or satellite..they hate high bills..no matter how many stats you post....sports are just too expensive and most non fans will avoid them

The reason people left traditional providers for streaming is cost cough sports cough...moving expensive sports to streaming does not mean that more will get more subscribers..people don't hate cable or satellite..they hate high bills..no matter how many stats you post....sports are just too expensive and most non fans will avoid them
No, I left when they decided to get sneaky with the extra charges, Broadcast Channels and the RSN fees, I remember the first bill that had those on them, I called up and said if they charge extra for them, at least they should give me the option of not having them, because basically they made them into premium channels.

Of course they did not work, research my options, moved to Playstation Vue the next day, called Comcast back up and of course when I was ready to cancel, then they offered me $20 off a month for a year, too late.

Same reason I stay away from all Traditional providers, all the fees, Broadcast, Sports, bo:mad:s), DVR, etc, etc.

I would have rather have something like Dish/DirecTV, sooner or later we will get by Hurricanes here and I would rather have a service that is not affected by wires going down, but they do not make it easy with all the extra fees.

No, I left when they decided to get sneaky with the extra charges, Broadcast Channels and the RSN fees, I remember the first bill that had those on them, I called up and said if they charge extra for them, at least they should give me the option of not having them, because basically they made them into premium channels.

Of course they did not work, research my options, moved to Playstation Vue the next day, called Comcast back up and of course when I was ready to cancel, then they offered me $20 off a month for a year, too late.

Same reason I stay away from all Traditional providers, all the fees, Broadcast, Sports, bo:mad:s), DVR, etc, etc.

I would have rather have something like Dish/DirecTV, sooner or later we will get by Hurricanes here and I would rather have a service that is not affected by wires going down, but they do not make it easy with all the extra fees.
Most of the increases are sports related...

Almost $50 of my mom's $125 DirecTV bills are DirecTV-specific fees. 40%. That'll shrink to about 30% of her bill when her $50/mo credit expires in September and we're required to call and beg for credits to make it palatable to continue service.

This is why I'll never return to DirecTV, and will be happy to pick up Sunday Ticket from it's new provider. Their service is inferior to what I get for $122/mo from YTTV (Live TV, 4k, sports, HBO, Showtime), DirecTV isn't even in the same ballpark and that's the crux of why their entire business model is being refactored and the floor to their subscriber loss still hasn't been found.

But some complain about the NFL's 'greed'. Comical.

So you overstated it by one-third.
Nope, people that want sport-free life have all signed up. Unless someone moves or they build a new internet hub for somebody, everybody that wants to be sports-free has signed on.
But they haven't. Its available. Everyone else has decided that life is too short, and stuck with linear TV (like you have).
South Park covered it well in the most recent movie.
No. Rather Disney, et al, is in a quandy. Maybe there is not a solution. But one thing that is 100% certain is that no body at Disney is dumb enough to sell linear ESPN a la carte. It would kill the service. No body.

Except the customers that are streaming only, unlike yourself, are such because they do not like sports. If they did, they would get linear TV, where the sports are.

And always will be.
Umm, I believe it will be games produced by Fox and CBS for broadcast in other cities, shown nationally.

What do you think it will be?

What I do know is the number of people that want it are about 2M, which is not nearly enough to make it profitable. Which is why, just like with DirecTV, it will be predicated on first buying something else. The main difference being far less people, and far less public places, will be able to access it, and what it is going to be predicated upon, most people don't want. Certainly most public places don't.

Nope, people that want sport-free life have all signed up. Unless someone moves or they build a new internet hub for somebody, everybody that wants to be sports-free has signed on.

I'd like to see a citation, trend, or research justifying these absolutes. No services are stagnant, they're either declining or gaining, so I can't even pretend to make a case for something you're stating as fact.

No, I left because or outrageous monthly equipment fees for multiple TVs. Had nothing to do with "sports costs".

Reactions: AZ.
No, I left because or outrageous monthly equipment fees for multiple TVs. Had nothing to do with "sports costs".
Had everything to do with sports costs and programming costs in general..moving to streaming will be just as expensive..if you buy sports

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
Had everything to do with sports costs and programming costs in general..moving to streaming will be just as expensive..if you buy sports
They haven't introduced new equipment in years...just another way to pay for sunday ticket

They haven't introduced new equipment in years
What does that have to do with box fees, are they not going to charge because their equipment is old.

You do now that the two biggest cable provider, Comcast and Charter let’s you avoid box Fees.

DirecTV, if they cared, should let you access D*Stream if you sub to the Sat Service, same for Dish with Sling, with not extra charge

There is no way I would touch either because I would need eleven boxes for when I have guests ( I only need two normally).

This Thanksgiving and Xmas, I will have a full house, You Tube TV will let me have unlimited streams ( I have 3 normally) for $10 a month, so I will activated the day before people arrive, cancel the extra stream when they leave, repeat the next year, with the Sat. Companies, I would be pay over $70 every month for 24 months, that is a extra $1680 for 2 years, then the programming costs.

What does that have to do with box fees, are they not going to charge because their equipment is old.

You do now that the two biggest cable provider, Comcast and Charter let’s you avoid box Fees.

DirecTV, if they cared, should let you access D*Stream if you sub to the Sat Service, same for Dish with Sling, with not extra charge

There is no way I would touch either because I would need eleven boxes for when I have guests ( I only need two normally).

This Thanksgiving and Xmas, I will have a full house, You Tube TV will let me have unlimited streams ( I have 3 normally) for $10 a month, so I will activated the day before people arrive, cancel the extra stream when they leave, repeat the next year, with the Sat. Companies, I would be pay over $70 every month for 24 months, that is a extra $1680 for 2 years, then the programming costs.
Just pay your $600 for sunday ticket and be happy

Just pay your $600 for sunday ticket and be happy
$600 for 2 years, yep I will be happy.
No it is not, first off, YTTV includes all sports except your RSN, it has ESPN, Fox Sports, Big Ten, Broadcast Networks with NFL, etc.

All that $65 a month

Extra for me, MLB for $60 for the year so I can watch the Tigers.
ESPN+ for the NHL/Red Wings, basically free since part of the Hulu Package, $19.99 for Hulu Commercial Free, Disney, ESPN+, so I will say $4 a month because of the bundle.

So keep in mind, I can get, with YTTV, all the same College Basketball games that are on DirecTV, March Madness, College Football, all the Bowl Games, the NFL on Fox and CBS, SNF on NBC, MNF on ESPN, all Playoff games for all the major sports leagues.

So total costs per month, YTTV, MLB, ESPN+=$74.00 a month.

The extras would be Sunday Ticket and Prime for TNF, but that would cost you extra normally if you had DirecTV or any other provider.

$600 for 2 years, yep I will be happy.

No it is not, first off, YTTV includes all sports except your RSN, it has ESPN, Fox Sports, Big Ten, Broadcast Networks with NFL, etc.

All that $65 a month

Extra for me, MLB for $60 for the year so I can watch the Tigers.
ESPN+ for the NHL/Red Wings, basically free since part of the Hulu Package, $19.99 for Hulu Commercial Free, Disney, ESPN+, so I will say $4 a month because of the bundle.

So keep in mind, I can get, with YTTV, all the same College Basketball games that are on DirecTV, March Madness, College Football, all the Bowl Games, the NFL on Fox and CBS, SNF on NBC, MNF on ESPN, all Playoff games for all the major sports leagues.

So total costs per month, YTTV, MLB, ESPN+=$74.00 a month.

The extras would be Sunday Ticket and Prime for TNF, but that would cost you extra normally if you had DirecTV or any other provider.
No RSN...well nobody has signed a contract with the directv price point..good luck with your 2 year deal

Reactions: SamCdbs
No RSN...well nobody has signed a contract with the directv price point..good luck with your 2 year deal
Proved you wrong again and that is your response?

Reactions: meStevo
Status
Please reply by conversation.