DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So they want someone else to take the risk and directv will simply act as a reseller if they can get the right pricepoint from the new rights owner

Again, why would Apple/Amazon toss a bone to a Traditional Provider, streaming companies wants them to fail, Netflix has come out and said it and gave a timetable of 5-10 years.

Do you not think why streaming companies are spending so much money on getting content away from Traditional Providers/Channels, not just sports but TV Shows and Movies also, they smell the blood in the water.

They wish to be dominant and are on the way to being so.
Which would allow an additional revenue stream to the new rights owner by serving customers that are hard to reach by broadband...a win for all stakeholders involved
Again it is not that much for rural subs, now that has come out that there is only 1.5 million subs to it ( and nobody has shown how many pay vs free), 15% is 225,000 ( and how many will have broadband next year with Star Link out there and other options), that is only $67.5 million.

I also believe both companies has bigger plans for making money from NFLST then just getting subscribers, the hold up might not be the $2.5 billion price but how much ad space they want.

A lot of these posts here keep posting over and over that Apple/Amazon are stupid and will not make enough money back for the price of getting NFLST.

Where has it been shown that Apple and Amazon are stupid, the only one who has proven how unintelligent they are is AT&T in their mismanagement of DirecTV and Warner.

Again, why would Apple/Amazon toss a bone to a Traditional Provider, streaming companies wants them to fail, Netflix has come out and said it and gave a timetable of 5-10 years.

Do you not think why streaming companies are spending so much money on getting content away from Traditional Providers/Channels, not just sports but TV Shows and Movies also, they smell the blood in the water.

They wish to be dominant and are on the way to being so.

Again it is not that much for rural subs, now that has come out that there is only 1.5 million subs to it ( and nobody has shown how many pay vs free), 15% is 225,000 ( and how many will have broadband next year with Star Link out there and other options), that is only $67.5 million.

I also believe both companies has bigger plans for making money from NFLST then just getting subscribers, the hold up might not be the $2.5 billion price but how much ad space they want.

A lot of these posts here keep posting over and over that Apple/Amazon are stupid and will not make enough money back for the price of getting NFLST.

Where has it been shown that Apple and Amazon are stupid, the only one who has proven how unintelligent they are is AT&T in their mismanagement of DirecTV and Warner.
Obviously it would cost apple nothing to service customers they cant reach on a existing platform...easy cash...not hard to see

Reactions: SamCdbs
You still have at least another 8-10 years before you have to start worrying about Sats ....

Why can't you stream ichigan football games ?
Most are on FOX, Fox Sports should have all the games.

I haven't needed to stream any Buckeye games as they are on TRADITIONAL TV just fine every week.
I think MOST of ichigan games are also on traditional tv ... when I was helping friends in Florida, they never had any issues getting Buckeye games, why would ichigan be any different ?
Is your M button broken?

One year away and I will,
Well, that one service. However, the plethora of sports remains on linear TV.
Ok, time for more math, Traditional Providers lost 2 million subs last quarter ( and 30 million the last 8 years), the pace of people leaving is picking up, so if that continues and does not increase ( it will as older customers die off), that is 8 million a year leaving, then times 5 years is 40 million gone, that leaves only 28 million households subbing to Traditional TV, out of 130 million households, hence why I said unprofitable.
Except it doesn’t work that way at all. Yes, streaming hit and the people that want that, which is to say people that don’t like sports and people trying to save four cents, all have adopted it.

It doesn’t mean this continues into the future. The people that want out of the sports system, have all opted out.
And DirecTV is in worse trouble then Dish,
Now that is funny.
Yet only 10 million Households subscribe to it, that means 120 million do not want it, should tell you something.
Yep. That ST is a niche product and that people who extrapolate millions and millions of subscribers for it, just don’t understand business.
No one knows, it just has a chance to pick up a lot more going streaming then staying with DirecTV, the company who decided they no longer want ST.
Right. Millions and millions of people are staring dumbly at their phone, wishing oh wishing it got channels and packages it doesn’t get.
They might need it in a year, times change, sooner or later they will have to upgrade.
Nice spending of other people’s money. So let do the de facto math:

The cost of ST to a sports bar, or other commercial establishment, is now going to be not only the cost of ST itself, but the cost of establishing and maintaining video quality internet it otherwise does not need.

Raise the price. Great plan there.
Yes streaming is great, glad you agree.
Yes, it is a nice supplement to linear TV, the center of a sports fan’s life.
Never been to a sports bar
Millions have. It is a business. YOUR personal choices are yours and fine. I was just discussing the huge costs that internet only ST does to those businesses.

Same as DirecTV, but a lot less expensive.
Except DirecTV gives the sports bar, a business you are totally unfamiliar with, the material they want for their customers. While streaming gives the Flight Attendant, the Handmaid’s Tale, and Fargo.

Well, that one service. However, the plethora of sports remains on linear TV.
And that is changing, again 3-5 years before all sports are, at least, streaming also.
Except it doesn’t work that way at all. Yes, streaming hit and the people that want that, which is to say people that don’t like sports and people trying to save four cents, all have adopted it.

It doesn’t mean this continues into the future. The people that want out of the sports system, have all opted out.
Show me one piece of evidence that people leaving Traditional Providers is slowing down.
Now that is funny.

Yep. That ST is a niche product and that people who extrapolate millions and millions of subscribers for it, just don’t understand business.
And why do you doubt that Amazon/Apple has plans for it beyond just getting subscribers, these are companies that knows how to make money.

Let’s talk about how well AT&T did with DirecTV.
Right. Millions and millions of people are staring dumbly at their phone, wishing oh wishing it got channels and packages it doesn’t get.
I am waiting till next year and will sign up, as have a few people in this thread that does not have DirecTV.
Nice spending of other people’s money. So let do the de facto math:

The cost of ST to a sports bar, or other commercial establishment, is now going to be not only the cost of ST itself, but the cost of establishing and maintaining video quality internet it otherwise does not need.

Raise the price. Great plan there.
Owning a business is like owning a house, sooner or later you have to do improvements.

And yes, sooner or later, they will have to upgrade their equipment, remember DirecTV has said they are no longer designing, building or launching a new Satellite, that means they are on the slow train to the end of their Satellite Service and have started the transition to streaming.
Yes, it is a nice supplement to linear TV, the center of a sports fan’s life.

Millions have. It is a business. YOUR personal choices are yours and fine. I was just discussing the huge costs that internet only ST does to those businesses.
But if they can get all those sports packages online, they no longer need DirecTV and can save money that way.

And you and I both do not know what Apple/Amazon will charge businesses, it could be less and that could help cover the upgrades.
Except DirecTV gives the sports bar, a business you are totally unfamiliar with, the material they want for their customers. While streaming gives the Flight Attendant, the Handmaid’s Tale, and Fargo.
And streaming has MLB, NHL, NBA, Soccer, certain College Basketball games and March Madness, certain College Football games, certain NFL games, etc.

Some of the above is available to businesses streaming, sooner or later the rest will be and then more.

We are in a transition period, things are changing as Television has for 80 years or so, if it did not, we would still be watching stuff recorded on Kinescope.

I just do not get this aversion to change, things are so much better now then even 10 years ago with the availability of programming.

We now are getting new movies 30 days to 3 months after premiering on streaming service in better quality then some theaters, I love how things are changing.

And that is changing, again 3-5 years before all sports are, at least, streaming also.

Show me one piece of evidence that people leaving Traditional Providers is slowing down.

And why do you doubt that Amazon/Apple has plans for it beyond just getting subscribers, these are companies that knows how to make money.

Let’s talk about how well AT&T did with DirecTV.

I am waiting till next year and will sign up, as have a few people in this thread that does not have DirecTV.

Owning a business is like owning a house, sooner or later you have to do improvements.

And yes, sooner or later, they will have to upgrade their equipment, remember DirecTV has said they are no longer designing, building or launching a new Satellite, that means they are on the slow train to the end of their Satellite Service and have started the transition to streaming.

But if they can get all those sports packages online, they no longer need DirecTV and can save money that way.

And you and I both do not know what Apple/Amazon will charge businesses, it could be less and that could help cover the upgrades.

And streaming has MLB, NHL, NBA, Soccer, certain College Basketball games and March Madness, certain College Football games, certain NFL games, etc.

Some of the above is available to businesses streaming, sooner or later the rest will be and then more.

We are in a transition period, things are changing as Television has for 80 years or so, if it did not, we would still be watching stuff recorded on Kinescope.

I just do not get this aversion to change, things are so much better now then even 10 years ago with the availability of programming.

We now are getting new movies 30 days to 3 months after premiering on streaming service in better quality then some theaters, I love how things are changing.
But alas
Sports is too expensive to sell alacart

But alas
Sports is too expensive to sell alacart
MLB package was $60 ( Father’s Day special ), that was Ala cart .

I get Center Ice on ESPN+, part of the Hulu Bundle at $19.99 ( which I use Gift Cards for), so before, Hulu Commercial Free was $12.99, Disney+ was $7.99, so that means I get it free basically.

All I need then is NFLST next year, $300 and Michigan Football on a streaming service and I am all set.

So, as of next year with ST, I will be paying $360 a year, or $30 a month for all the sports I care about, not too expensive.

So, if I keep Live TV for the playoff games on Cable Channels and College Football, that is $65 for YTTV, so $95 a month and only $5 in real money because of my Gift Card loophole.

MLB package was $60 ( Father’s Day special ), that was Ala cart .

I get Center Ice on ESPN+, part of the Hulu Bundle at $19.99 ( which I use Gift Cards for), so before, Hulu Commercial Free was $12.99, Disney+ was $7.99, so that means I get it free basically.

All I need then is NFLST next year, $300 and Michigan Football on a streaming service and I am all set.

So, as of next year with ST, I will be paying $360 a year, or $30 a month for all the sports I care about, not too expensive.

So, if I keep Live TV for the playoff games on Cable Channels and College Football, that is $65 for YTTV, so $95 a month and only $5 in real money because of my Gift Card loophole.
Sunday Ticket won't be $300 if apple pays double what directv paid

NFL+ already existed in prior years, it was called Game Pass and still carries that branding in other markets.
NFL+ is bigger than Game Pass as it also includes live streaming of local Sunday games on mobile devices, a feature that in the past had been exclusively licensed to Verizon.

I extremely doubt that, there are going to charge as least as possible ( allowed to) to maximize subscribers, the more that subscribe will then affect their Ad Revenue ( more eyeballs).

Advertising is where they will make a lot of money from, specially Targeted Ads.

I extremely doubt that, there are going to charge as least as possible ( allowed to) to maximize subscribers, the more that subscribe will then affect their Ad Revenue ( more eyeballs).

Advertising is where they will make a lot of money from, specially Targeted Ads.
They are not going to lose money

Got some inside information?

As stated earlier, it’s looking like the new ST will be different than your father’s ST. Possibly RedZone, a part ownership of NFL Media, and sub-packages……

Got some inside information?

As stated earlier, it’s looking like the new ST will be different than your father’s ST. Possibly RedZone, a part ownership of NFL Media, and sub-packages……
Yep, it is pretty idiotic to think Apple/Amazon does not know what to do with NFLST and how to make money with it.

These are two companies that have done everything right, especially in recent history, both have tons of cash on hand.

Amazon has turned their video service, which was just a extra with free shipping, into a must have service and great for people who want to add services, like Paramount, which Amazon then gets a piece of.

Apple TV+ was considered a joke when started, now it has some of best shows on, won Emmys and Oscars, including Best Picture, also rumored to have 40 million subs now.

They know what they are doing.

Reactions: cosmo_kramer
Yep, it is pretty idiotic to think Apple/Amazon does not know what to do with NFLST and how to make money with it.

These are two companies that have done everything right, especially in recent history, both have tons of cash on hand.

Amazon has turned their video service, which was just a extra with free shipping, into a must have service and great for people who want to add services, like Paramount, which Amazon then gets a piece of.

Apple TV+ was considered a joke when started, now it has some of best shows on, won Emmys and Oscars, including Best Picture, also rumored to have 40 million subs now.

They haven't signed a deal...probably because the price is too high just for sunday ticket

Apple paid $87 million annually to bring 'Friday Night Baseball' to Apple TV+. Not sure If I agree that they know what they're doing after watching the broadcast or what they're paying for Friday Night games. The average age of a person watching a baseball game on television is 57 old and Baseball is in serious trouble​

Status
Please reply by conversation.

4K Events Schedule & Discussion

May Free Previews - Add Notes Here