DirecTV vs Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

officialbulldog

Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
United States
I am just curious what you guys think. Please be specific on why you think so in terms of PQ, HD channels, equpiment, service, customer service, etc.. Thanks!

Ok,
I'll start ...
However, this thread will probably end up in the Pit where the rest of them are.

Personally I feel D* has better Picture quality, and they have the Sunday Ticket, theres 2 things on the D* side.
Many say that DISH has better overall equipment.

Dish has a history of channels being dropped due to negotiations, while D* typically works thru the negotiation and ends up keeping them.

In reality, you should start by looking to see which provider has the Channels you Need most, the one that has them is the way to go.

I've had both, and like D*, for the reasons posted above. PQ just a little bit better, and I actually like D*'s DVR and software better than Dish. To be fair though, I didn't have Dish's latest and greatest hopper, which I do have the Genie setup with D*.
If your into sports, then I would stick with Direct. When I was with Dish, they dropped NY RSN's, and never got them back.

This is a Directv forum. That means that people here have chosen Directv over Dish.

Not necessarily since this is a public forum about both services. Well, lots more than that!! :)

I've had both, like both for different reasons. Since boxing and golf are my favorite sports, both services are pretty equal for me when it comes to sports.

D* has slightly better HD PQ, but very much worse SD PQ if that is important. For most people, the channels selections in HD are close enough to be more or less, not a big issue. But if you are into sports, especially the pay sports channels and RSN's in HD, then D* is a better choice IMO.

The equipment is just different approaches to whole home and in most respects is a wash. Dish equipment tends to operate much quicker and stays that way while Direct's equipment is a bit slower, and can and often does, get very much slower as changes/updates to the firmware happen. The GUI interface on the Hopper/Joey is a real graphic interface with lots of icons and a very nice appearance and has a 3 hour windows in the guide. Direct's GUI really is just an improvement in looks over the standard non-GUI they had before, the guide only has 1.5 hour window.

Service and support from both is pretty much a wash with most of us not having horrible experiences with either, though there are always some who do. Dish has the leg up here because of the DIRT team that is here to offer better and quicker response to real issues. And with Dish, almost any interaction you need to do with them can be done online either straight at the website or via chat. With Direct, sales can be done online or via chat, virtually anything else other than changing base sub levels, has to be done via phone. Some see that as a real issue, others not so much.

My take is to look at the channels you want, and what you want in HD, and look at pricing beyond the promo periods to see which makes the most sense for your needs.

For me it comes down to if you like sports or not.

If you like Sports then DIRECTV hands down.

If you do not like Sports then DISH might be better for you.

I like the Hopper better then the Genie, but that's not saying the Genie is bad! I like the PrimeTime Anytime Feature, the Built in Sling and being able to access my videos from my Network.

So take a look at what you actually watch and decide what best suits you, as no matter what you choose you are going to be happy.

I look at programming first, and since I'm a Yankees fan, I want the YES network. Since Dish doesn't have it and Directv does, it's an easy decision for me. Next I would consider the equipment, then picture quality, then cost.

I've had both and prefer Directv over Dish because of their programming, better picture quality and better customer service. I think Dish's equipment is better and faster but Directv's equipment meets the needs for our household.

I will give you one for each;

With Direct whole home dvr if you have two dvr your recordings are integrated.

Dish Network has 3 hours of programing in the guide view.

Heres my take...similar to others.

I have both Hoppers with /sling and Genie HR44 and 2 hr24

Dish superior equipment-hands down-Game changing features: Prime time, Auto Hop. Plus Blu tooth for wireless headset.

Direc: To me, a slightly better picture HD channels. Sports galore-My go to place for all Ny Sports. Genie is very good
Lots of tuners and recording space.

If you want state of the art equipment with better movie/cable channel choices-Dish network
If you want excellent equipment and all the sports you could want with a stellar HD picture go Direct.

Customer service: Dish pulls channels at will or at a drop of the hat. If theres a dispute the channel might be history.
Nothing is safe with dish. Voom my favorite channel lineup was pulled in the dark of night.

Direct: past couple of years in my opinion their customer service has been horrendous. They are not
as thrilled to take care of long standing customers are they are with new subs.

lern,

How do you make the financial choice to have both services? I'm very interested in having both, but it looks like it would nearly double my billing. Can you give me some hints?

PM if you prefer.

lern,

How do you make the financial choice to have both services? I'm very interested in having both, but it looks like it would nearly double my billing. Can you give me some hints?

PM if you prefer.

Well, Ive got no secrets. I choose to spend extra on a hobby
I love, electronics.

You don't need duplication. You can have bare bones on one system
and a better package on the other.
Just get minimum basic for direc and pay for the sports packages you want.
Thats the best way to keep the cost down.

I don't have a full package with Direc tv.
but I do have choice extra.

Direc is basically my guilty pleasure.
I have been annoyed with direc for the longest time.
If Dish or even Uverse carried equal channels and
sports packages Id leave direc in a heartbeat.
They have not treated me well in years.

Living in South Florida growing up on Long Island
I want my Jets, Ranger, Yankees and Knicks.
I work hard so I basically give most of my play money to direc tv.

My house loves dish...Thats the preferred main system in my home.
Remember dish does not have my favorite MSG network, Yes or even SNY.

I will say that dish has always treated me like a valued customer!

Its just money right??

Last edited:
what are the main channels on dish that directv doesn't have that draw you to pay for both, been considering both, would you mind breaking down what packages/ extras you have for both.

If you like sports, DirecTV is a no-brainer. You never go to a sports bar or restaurant and see Dish network. It's always DirecTv because they are #1 in sports.

My now deceased uncle had dish which was terrible for him and he later switched to Verizon Fios which was not much better except for fast internet. have had DirecTV for 13 or so years and have had many equipment upgrades from Sd receiver to dvr and now 2 Hd dvrs and 1 genie and for me DirecTV always keeps up with the latest technology and from what I have checked has the most Hd of any service I can get where I live in southern California. For me DirecTV is much better my dvr’s get at least 1 firmware update a month which installs in the middle of the night and they are always fixing issues and adding feature and improving existing ones plus DirecTV is launching two new satellites this year which will help keep them ahead of the competition. So that is my opinion.

So far so good with Directv's HD DVR. No having to restart the receiver because of a frozen picture or sound loss like on the Vip 612.

I have had both
I liked the 622 and 722 I had with dish
I like the hr24 and genie(hr34) I have with direct
I not like the fact with dish you have to give up existing equipment to get a hopper
with direct the genie connects to what you have
I prefer 5 tuners 24/7 over 3, or 6 with prime time anytime as long as you record the big 4
I don't like the idea of the minis on either system

directv seems to have fewer disputes then dish had when I was there

I have had both because both providers are varying some channels the other don't have like the Hopper about if not a little better with fact they have sling and the Genie doesn't and Hopper is a little faster but not much but like DirecTV guide and pq is betterbut not by much and better it shows so much more like all people in the show and future shows in that 1 spot but if you like sports and I do DirecTV is for you but for other things Dish would be better but as far as negotiations for channels DirecTV is better in keeping them on whereas Dish pulls them fast and I have been treated great by both though DirecTV does give me bigger discounts on programming than Dish does and I have been with Dish a lot longer!!! imo :)

I signed up for Dish Network back in 1997, and had them in my house until Dish Dropped MSG. I had numerous Dish Receivers in that time, my last Dish Receiver was a 721k with OTA Module, loved it. It was great to be able to record Three things at a time. My one complaint with the 721 was the drop to live bug on both tuners, if I watched a pre-recorded event. I loved the ability to add an external Hard Drive and use the internal Drive at the same time, as well as the PIP feature of the DUAL DVR.

I've had DirecTV for about 3 1/2 years now. My original DVR was the HR24 nice receiver, although a little on the slow side. It did like some of the features that Dish didn't have, like the ability to Rewind either or the two tuners when I dropped out of a pre-recorded event, and I love the UI of the DirecTV DVR's way better. I have since upgraded to the Genie HR-34 with a AM21. My complaint with the AM21 was DirecTV taking away the ability to tune EVERY Local Sub-channel on a later Firmware release to the HR34. I do love the ability to record 4 events on my Genie and be able to watch another event, as well as the ability to stream different shows to different rooms at the same time. DirecTV was late to the PIP party but they did finally show up on the Genie, although it had to be added to the Firmware later after its initial release.

Lastly, I do think DirecTV's HD PQ is slightly better. Dish does have a couple of additional HD channels I wish I could still get on DirecTV, notably EPIX.

In the end both Companies have much better hardware then their Cable Competition (which is not very hard to accomplish). It comes down to programing, as it always should. For me, Dish's unwillingness to sign agreements with MSG, and their horrible HD coverage in they Out of Market Sports Packages (NHL Center Ice) means I will be with DirecTV for a long time to come.

I'd might be with Dish today, if they would have added MSG HD, Dish still beats DirecTV with National HD channels, but not by a lot.

My biggest beef with Dish is their BULLS&^T sliding fee for secondary receivers. I had 4 Secondary Dual DVR's and Dish charged an extra $17 per month for each one, the secondary receiver fees almost doubled my bill each month.

John

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts