DirecTV Will Pass On Epix

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MLBurks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
Huntingdon TN
DirecTV will pass on the premium movie channel Epix that will launch later this year. "That's another one that I don't think you'll be seeing us being interested in," DirecTV interim CEO Larry Hunter said.

Click here for story

He goes on to say that DirecTV subs are showing little interest in the premium movie channels and don't have any plans to add more.

D* HD subs show little interest in premium movie channels because D* has such an incomplete lineup of them! Anyone subbing to them feels ripped off! I know I did for 6 years. I suppose when they keep skyrocketing the package prices and nickle and diming for HD access, even figuring ways to milk more money with a stupid HD PAK, then Premium channels are the first to go for peoples budgets. I know thats one thing that drove me to quit, I simply couldnt justify their cost anymore. That really is the most asinine statement Ive heard yet from D*, no wait, they have said far stupider things before. I suppose instead of more HD premiums they will add more HD PPV channels.... as always.

At least D* hasn't removed HDNet and HDNet Movies like some other providers.

But this lagging behind is getting irritating. No MSNBC HD or BBC America HD. Not that I would watch BBC America since it is censored.

But this lagging behind is getting irritating. No MSNBC HD or BBC America HD. Not that I would watch BBC America since it is censored.

So, you want it in the lineup, but you won't watch it?

Read a little more about Epix and this will be clearer. Epix is pitching itself as a premium movie network with similar fees to the provider, but wants to be included in base packages. They want to drive up the cost of the base package and not be an itemized package. Not so surprising that people are avoiding that model right now.

Give them time, they have no room right now. As soon as the new satellite goes up I'm sure you'll see a ton of new additions.

Read a little more about Epix and this will be clearer. Epix is pitching itself as a premium movie network with similar fees to the provider, but wants to be included in base packages. They want to drive up the cost of the base package and not be an itemized package. Not so surprising that people are avoiding that model right now.

No wonder D*, Comcast and Cablevision have all passed on it. The providers would have to add the channel at a loss or raise the price of their basic service.

That statement from DirecTv pisses me off so much, first off because Movie channels will typically be the first thing to go on DirecTV for customers not just because there trying to save money on the bill, but its because they cant justify the ridiculous prices, There not providing all of the movie channels, cinemax is possible the biggest ripoff, with only 3 channels, when they off about 12, people would keep there movie channels if they had a reason to, and when your not giving them enough movies to watch on it (eg more channels = more movies) there not going to keep it.

DirecTV will pass on the premium movie channel Epix that will launch later this year. "That's another one that I don't think you'll be seeing us being interested in," DirecTV interim CEO Larry Hunter said.

Click here for story

He goes on to say that DirecTV subs are showing little interest in the premium movie channels and don't have any plans to add more.

Kudos to D** for realizing that the Premium Movie channel Market is dying a slow death.

Far too many other outlets to see second run movies.

I don't expect D*** to add any additional Premium Movie Channels when D12 goes active either.

I suspect D** will priortize their customers in the current order even after D12 goes live.

1.Sports
2.Locals
3.National HD
4.Upgrading Subs Hardware
5.Any other unmentioned sect
6.Premium Movie Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts