DirecTv won't give me any deal. I may be forced to go to the Dish Network.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PIZ

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Pennsylvania
I have to say I am really disappointed in DirecTV. I have been a DirecTv for at least 10 years, BUT have only ever had NFL Sunday Ticket. I have only had cable and NFL Sunday Ticket. I have never taken advantage of any special package deals. I called DirecTV to see if I was eligible for the $29.99 offer for new customers and everyone said no, I was not eligible, since I was already a customer, even though I have NEVER had a base package. Customer Retention offered me "Select Package", for $44.99 a month. They sent me the 120 channel line up, and it is crap....about 5o of them are music. It is basically one of your base packages with less channels.Not a great deal.I consider myself a NEW customer, but DirecTV does not. They also offered me the Family Package for $29.99 but the channel listing on that are crap.

I am not eligible for any of the package / installation deals and no one will give me a discount off of my Sunday Ticket (which is why I got DirecTv to begin with). Do I have any other options? I may just go with the Dish Network and get the NFL Redzone add-on. Wouldn't you think they would do anything they could to get me on one of their packages, even if at a discounted rate for a year?

I also called last year, and they told me the same thing.

.........also, if I cancel my Sunday Ticket, and request a new phone # from my phone company and have my wife sign-up, would I get the special deal?

The best you can hope for is to drop DIRECTV altogether for at least a year and come back. At that point, you'll be required to subscribe to a base package to qualify for MFLST.

You may or may not get a discount on NFLST.

Sunday Ticket is not (and i dont think ever has been) a stand alone package with Directv.

.........also, if I cancel my Sunday Ticket, and request a new phone # from my phone company and have my wife sign-up, would I get the special deal?
The offers are based on a credit check so they'll more than likely figure out what's going on. If you want to be able to subscribe to NFLST without having to subscribe to a base package, you should probably leave well enough alone.

Not true. It was indeed available as a standalone package as the OP is evidence of. Grandfathering can be a beautiful thing as long as you keep it up.

I was not aware of it in the past, which Is why I added "I dont think". I was pretty sure about currently.

In any case, I would do like you said and leave well enough alone. He isnt a new customer, as he has been subscribing to ST through them for 10 years, and even at full price he comes out cheaper than going to Dish for a year and not having ST.

Sunday Ticket is not (and i dont think ever has been) a stand alone package with Directv.

Actually it WAS up until about 5+ years ago - before then, you could even have a locals-only pkg if you so desired.
Then D* pulled the plug on being able to have ANY a la carte prog WITHOUT a base pkg. It was my understanding that current NFL-ST a la carte subs were grandfathered in from requiring a base pkg, but even THAT was supposed to have changed a couple years ago, after which then NOBODY was exempt from needing a base pkg.

PIZ, I don't understand why you think you should be considered a new customer since you aren't! Perhaps your wife could sign up under her name and ss#, even with the same telephone number. Directv sometimes uses the address to determine if someone is new, but it can't hurt to try!

I called DirecTV to see if I was eligible for the $29.99 offer for new customers and everyone said no, I was not eligible, since I was already a customer, even though I have NEVER had a base package.

Hate to tell you this, but other providers are the SAME way - a la carte DISH subs (w/out an AT/DL pkg) are STILL considered an existing customer, & a Comcast customer only on internet &/or limited basic, that wants to do a triple play, is usually NOT eligible for a new customer discounts, either.

You could always try & disco it, & see if either the retention person will offer you any deals to upgrade your equipment AND prog, & stay a customer; considering you're now an NFL-ST sub at least, I'm surprised they wouldn't offer you something to be paying them MORE $$$ as a full-serivce sub! Understand that they WILL require you to commit to 2 years - but if you really want some sort of deal bad enough, it might be worth it to you???

You could also go ahead & disco it, then see if they call you up with some sort of "win-back" offer - but there's obviously a risk they may NOT...

Last edited:
PIZ, I don't understand why you think you should be considered a new customer since you aren't! Perhaps your wife could sign up under her name and ss#, even with the same telephone number. Directv sometimes uses the address to determine if someone is new, but it can't hurt to try!

Because I never had a programming package. I guess the best I can hope for is to get a discount off the NFL Sunday Ticket...........doubtful though I would get one.

Because I never had a programming package. I guess the best I can hope for is to get a discount off the NFL Sunday Ticket...........doubtful though I would get one.
Without a programming package to subsidize it, they're not going to give you any discounts. Hang on to your grandfathered situation.

It doesn't matter what kind of programming you have had, you are not a new customer.

raoul5788 said:

Actually, it can hurt to try in this case. In order to get his wife to try, he will have to cancel service first, losing his grandfathered NFLST only package, which he won't be able to get back.

Actually, it can hurt to try in this case. In order to get his wife to try, he will have to cancel service first, losing his grandfathered NFLST only package, which he won't be able to get back.

WHY does he have to cancel HIS service first??? If you are concerned about D* installing at the same address, HE could always "move" HIS service to another address, THEN have his wife sign up on her own at their actual address.
You have to be creative with this stuff... ;) ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts