DirecTV / XM Rumor

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Scott Greczkowski said:
I have just received the complete XM on DirecTV lineup.

I need to clean it up a bit as it has my contracts information on it and I don't want them getting in trouble. :)

The XM Channels will air on Channels 801 - 879.

I don't care of the lineup though, as the channel numbers do not match the actual channel numbers like they do with Sirius on Dish Network. For example on Dish Network Sirius Channel 8 airs on Dish Network channel 6008.

On DirecTV XM Channel 8 airs on 805. It would have been much better if it was on 808.

Stay tuned, we will keep you informed. :)

Once you clean it up can you post the line up???

This will give me the best of both worlds!! I have Sirius in the car and now I will have XM at home.

hancox said:
This ROCKS!

Does XM have anything like Sirius' "Hair Nation?" Miss that from my E* days :)
Not really. I tune to that every time I am in one of my parents cars. Great station. XM has a "Top Tracks" channel but it includes harder rock from the 70's and late 60's. A good channel , but not like Hair Nation.

Thats what I say, keep the channels in the correct order. Makes it much easier when you leave the house to find what you were listening to in the house.

Interesting distribution of the XM channels across the various packages. (Source )

TOTAL CHOICE® customers will receive 50 XM music channels

TOTAL CHOICE® PLUS customers will receive 67 XM music channels

TOTAL CHOICE® PREMIER customers will receive 67 XM music channels

DIRECTV PARA TODOS® customers will receive 7 Latin Music XM music channels in addition to their regular package selection.

Commercial Business customers will receive all XM channels carried by DIRECTV, including 7 Spanish-language channels.

Does XM Radio have anything similar to Music Choice's Sounds of the Season? I enjoyed their selections during St Patty's, Halloween, & Christmas. :)

mcbeevee said:
Does XM Radio have anything similar to Music Choice's Sounds of the Season? I enjoyed their selections during St Patty's, Halloween, & Christmas. :)
they had 4 christmas channels last year

I suggest that everyone that is knocking XM give them a listen. There is a reason that they have 2/3 of the satellite market share. Another post said it right... there are basically the same music channels but XM has a lot of the stuff that plays better on radio... baseball, hockey, Opien and Anthony (sorry, they kick Stern's arse and I'm a former fan of his. For those of you that complained about commercials, Stern's show will be having commercials where O&A only have about two minutes of show promos an hour while they take a break). Who listens to football on radio? And Martha Stewart? I think no. Trust me, XM is better.

Ramone, bring me my Roadie

dishrich said:
A D* dealer on Claude's board just said he got this notice himself as well.
Assuming this is true - YUCK, YUCK, I will definately miss MC.
If I wanted DJ chit chat between songs, I'd still listen to FM radio.
This is exactly why I haven't taken the plung into either XM or Sirius.

And you've obviously never listened to XM. XM has little to no DJ "chit chat", depending on the channel and the program. They do run little station ID drops, which are usually creative and entertaining, and amount to 10 seconds every fourth or fifth song. Sometimes, they may have a specific themed show that may have a host.

There are a few channels that feature DJs, but only if it fits the format. For example, the 50's channel has 50's style DJs, which is something most people from that generation seem to want, judging from the outcry when WCBS flipped formats. Also, a few have DJs in the morning only. Even then, we're talking about a minute of announcer after every fourth or fifth song.

Meanwhile, you're getting the absolute deepest playlists imaginable, and twice as many formats for free.

I get Sirius, "DISH CD", and Muzak for free on DISH network, but I still usually listen to my XM BoomBox in the house. It's just that good. Give it a chance, and you'll probably enjoy it.

Slump Buster said:
I suggest that everyone that is knocking XM give them a listen. There is a reason that they have 2/3 of the satellite market share. Another post said it right... there are basically the same music channels but XM has a lot of the stuff that plays better on radio... baseball, hockey, Opien and Anthony (sorry, they kick Stern's arse and I'm a former fan of his. For those of you that complained about commercials, Stern's show will be having commercials where O&A only have about two minutes of show promos an hour while they take a break). Who listens to football on radio? And Martha Stewart? I think no. Trust me, XM is better.

Ramone, bring me my Roadie

I don't knock either service as they are 99% the same, but for the most part it seems they (XM) is 2/3 of the market because of the advanced head start they got in their roll out. Getting to market first has its supreme advantages in promotion, but it does not make one service far and away better or worse in the long run.

Each has "special content" that matches up with what the other has. Stern is no better or worse than O&A and visa versa.

ALL sports suck over the radio, they were intended to be watched unless you call chess or basket weaving a sport; so who cares.

Why would anyone give a rats arse about talk radio, Martha Stewart, etc? If this is someone's main reason for radio, then free radio is all you need.

Commercials are commercials regardless, just because one show may have a bit more or less for now doesn't mean much in the end because the door is wide open and the amount will grow. Anyway, NO ONE has any idea, nor can they comment or compare on how much Stern will have vs O&A or others because it has NOT EVEN AIRED YET!

So that leaves the music. The REAL reason anyone would pay for satellite radio anyhow. Now we are back to the same 99.95% commercial-free exactness between the two. Same for the monthly cost.

So listeners just use the free trials for the sampling of music and shop to get the best price and/or promotion for hardware that suits your wallet and you will be more than happy without having to deal with one-sided reviewers.

I have had both and soon realized how exactly the same they really are and it isn't worth ANY arguments.

I humbly disagree... if I want to listen to music I'll put in DTS-encoded music DVD and really enjoy it. I did buy xm just for talk radio (I can't stand the local hacks so radio is of no use to me) and sports like hockey and especially baseball are great to listen to on the radio if you're bumping around the house or around town. And Stern has been mailing it in for five years now.

I do agree with the earlier statement about having a headstart with subscribers but it seems like XM has been making far better decisions in regards to where they dump their money.

Anyway, back to the technical talk. What kind of sound quality can we expect out of this? Dolby Digital? It has to be better than what you get out of the receivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts