DirecTV / XM Rumor

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No it wont be Dolby Digital, the sound quality should match what you hear from MusicChoice now.

I have both Sirius and XM and love them both.

I listen to both Howard Stern and O&A, and to be honest both of them suck most of the time, yet both of them have times where they are great as well. No show can be 100% good all of the time. I am happy to be able to have the opportinity to listen to them both.

I actually think this is a BAD business move by XM.

Here in my office a guy has been asking me about XM for over a week, he wanted to get XM for his wife so she could listen to country music at home, when he heard this news today he no longer wants to buy an XM unit because he has DirecTV. 1 lost sale there.

In addition I know a bunch of O&A fans who go XM just for O&A and these guys also have DirecTV, I cant see them continuing to pay for XM when they can get O&A for free on DirecTV.

And how come Special X will be on DirecTV, yet they dont even have this channel on their own Satellite Service? :(

Slump Buster said:
I suggest that everyone that is knocking XM give them a listen. There is a reason that they have 2/3 of the satellite market share. Another post said it right... there are basically the same music channels but XM has a lot of the stuff that plays better on radio... baseball, hockey, Opien and Anthony (sorry, they kick Stern's arse and I'm a former fan of his. For those of you that complained about commercials, Stern's show will be having commercials where O&A only have about two minutes of show promos an hour while they take a break). Who listens to football on radio? And Martha Stewart? I think no. Trust me, XM is better.

Ramone, bring me my Roadie
nope the real reason is that xm made a deal with GM and other car makers before sirius did and thats the only reason

M Sparks said:
And you've obviously never listened to XM. XM has little to no DJ "chit chat", depending on the channel and the program. They do run little station ID drops, which are usually creative and entertaining, and amount to 10 seconds every fourth or fifth song. Sometimes, they may have a specific themed show that may have a host.

t.
When "heidi sexlexa"(80's channel) worked there her show was almost all chit chat..it depends on the station

I think the opposite will happen.... people will hear it at home and want it in the car. By your logic, everyone would be listening online and there wouldn't be any portable units sold. And I'm sure they are getting cash out of this, so why wouldn't they? I wonder if they're going to count a portion of the directv users as part of their subscription base?

Scott Greczkowski said:
And how come Special X will be on DirecTV, yet they dont even have this channel on their own Satellite Service? :(
Why is it lumped in with the urban channels? AND WHY NOT LIQUID METAL!!!

juan said:
nope the real reason is that xm made a deal with GM and other car makers before sirius did and thats the only reason

I think you may want to check your dates on this one... XM was kicking Sirius arse well before that. Also, just because it is in the car does not make it active. You still have to go out and pay for it. Sirius is bleeding cash right now.

I currently have XM, in my car, and I think this will be a NICE upgrade over the Music Choice channels, that I never listen to.

Slump Buster said:
I think you may want to check your dates on this one... XM was kicking Sirius arse well before that. Also, just because it is in the car does not make it active. You still have to go out and pay for it. Sirius is bleeding cash right now.
Dude I have both Both have plusses and minuses XM was started by Hughes electronics (which is owned by GM) It is active the first 3 months by default XM just has better contracts with the auto manufactures because they had a 2 year head start

excited to get xm via d* just hate to loose my metal channel. oh well can't have your cake and eat it to i guess thanks d*still a good move though.

From the DirecTV web page http://www.directv.com/see/landing/xm.html :

Great tunes. Great talk. Get more with DIRECTV.

On November 15, DIRECTV launches XM Satellite Radio, America's #1 satellite radio service with 5 million subscribers, on channels 801 through 879. Enjoy America's Largest Playlist with a wide range of music genres, talk shows and more.
From the faxed list that Scott posted I see just *two* talk channels - hardly worthy of the buildup given in the above text posted on their web page.

Xm

The other reason XM has an advantage over sirius is the fact that sirius' satellites are not stationary, whereas XM satellites are stationary. So Sirius lost out when it came to people and businessess who only wanted it for a fixed location. With XM, just point toward the satellite and the signal strength stays the same. With Sirius, the signal strength would fluctuate depending on where the satellite was. XM's satellite setup is far superior to Sirius.

I got my Dealer Notice today, and they just said that they were going to kill one and bring on the other... Simple, no fuss, no muss, and no choice... LOL well at least no "Music Choice"... :no ... I will be getting a lot of calls in the weeks to come, from a lot of Clients... More wasted time, and more lost revenue, sitting and answering the Clients questions... :eek:

I am not too thrilled about this, I'll miss Music Choice. I am not overly impressed with XM from what I have heard of it, I would have prefered if D* would have added Sirius instead. I think they play a better selection of music and the sound quality is better as well. Disappointing.. :(

greatwhite000 said:
The other reason XM has an advantage over sirius is the fact that sirius' satellites are not stationary, whereas XM satellites are stationary. So Sirius lost out when it came to people and businessess who only wanted it for a fixed location. With XM, just point toward the satellite and the signal strength stays the same. With Sirius, the signal strength would fluctuate depending on where the satellite was. XM's satellite setup is far superior to Sirius.
HUh? how does that work unless sirus has a fleet os sats which makes zero business and profit sense

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)