DirecTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

A330 Driver

Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Hello everyone:

I used to live in Fort Lauderdale, FL and now live in Dubai UAE. I used to have DirecTV service and was quite happy with it. The satellite provider here in Dubai is woefully inadequate and very expensive.

My question is, if I were to purchase and install the DirecTV system over here, would it work? I do have a US address for them to bill me at, and a VOIP phone to plug it into.

If you do know that it will work, please fill me in on any details that I would need.

Thanks.

Welcome to satellite guys! If you have a residence you can get DirecTV and with a broadband connrction and a slingbox you can watch and control your DirecTV in the U.A.E. on your computer.

Just a warning, if you try to use D* signal outside of the US, and D* knows about it, don't ever try to come back into the country, you'll have a warrant out for your arrest. A Slingbox, however, is COMPLETELY LEGAL!

Contrary to the prior poster, there will not be a warrant for your arrest should you use D* outside the country. That is a pure overreaction. No laws will have been broken. However, it is definitely outside of their guidelines and rules as governed by the federal government. If they knew you were using a D* decoder outside the country they would be obligated to cut it off (likewise for Canadian/Mexican customers).

However, to use D* from Dubai, the only way you would be able to see the system would be via a Slingbox and your internet connection. One advantage to a Slingbox-based connection would be the capability to have your local channels available from over there.

A Slingbox would not violate D*'s guidelines, as the physical hardware would remain at your home address in the States. Conversely, you would be paying for the internet bandwidth yourself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)