Well I Got My DVR R15 replacement.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

icee_smooth

Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
As the topic says, my DIRECTV DVR Plus receiver replacement finally came this week and I am in the process of installing it now. It notice that comparing the two, the new model sent to me is bigger than the one it replaces. The replacment model is a R15-100 while the old model is R15-300.

So I guess what I'm asking is if the R15-100 is the latest version of the DirecTV DVR Plus, or is it some refurbished model that DirecTV sent to me. I want to know because the representative stated I would receive a whole new receiver and that's what I want...not something that's been refurbished.

From what I understand, R15-100 is the newest version of the R15. It comes from a different supplier than the -300 and -500. There is usually a refurbished or reconditioned sticker on the bottom of the unit if it is a refurb. However, I work in the electronics industry and can say that refurb. units are often as good or better than new. New units are not tested as thoroughly. It really depends on what they replaced for the refurb. For example, I wouldn't want a unit that had an old hard drive.

However, I work in the electronics industry and can say that refurb. units are often as good or better than new. New units are not tested as thoroughly. It really depends on what they replaced for the refurb. For example, I wouldn't want a unit that had an old hard drive.

I hear that from a LOT of sales people, but I've purchased 4 different products that were refurbs, and I could not be more angry. ALL of them were giant pieces of junk, some even DOA, which should never happen because it's "inspected & tested even more than new" (as I was promised) My sister has also had the same experience with refurb Sony electronics.

Personally, I stay away from refurbs, I'm sure there are some really good things out there, but I do not see it myself, nor does anyone that I know see it.

Sorry, just putting my 2 cents in, no offense.

I'm pretty sure the D* warranty does not state that you will receive new equipment, or even the same model, but that it will be comparable.

But the R15-100 just started showing up a few weeks ago. It should have a "refurb' sticker on the bottom if it is not new.

The 100 model is made by RCA, the 500 by Humax, and the 300 by Phillips.

Wow, finally some responses :D

O.K., here's an update for those that may be interested. I didn't find a Refurbished stick either on the back, sides or bottom of the receiver. There is one sticker on the back that along with the serial number and Receiver ID number lists a manufacturer's date of 07/18/06, so I guess it's fairly new.

I've only had two minor problems with it thus far that that's the fact that the menu function is hit or miss on this unit. I'll press it over and over again and just won't bring up the menu (even let the unit just sit there thinking it'll bring it up a few minutes later) forcing me to utilize the reset button so that I can gain access to menu screen as needed. My other problem I have with this unit is that it's exceptionally loud, well the fan in the back is exceptionally loud. It's a constant loud whirling sound that's more loud than any electrical device in my house that uses a cooling fan, even my desktop computer. Hell I think it's even louder than my old Packard Bell computer and that thing was a piece of sh...

I called DirecTV earlier in the day Saturday after two days of this noisy receiver (I was hoping it would work itself out), and was basically told they can't do anything about the noise and I have no choice but to deal with it. I responded by saying as one of your subscribers, I should be given a product that works, is quiet and efficient for me not to have to turn up the volume a considerable amount to drown out the constant loud whirling sound. Finally after much back & forth and being shifted from one phone call to another, then hung up on (accidently I presume) they said they would send me my second replacement box this week although they couldn't guarantee the replacement box would be quieter.

As far as getting a new receiver, I was told by a DirecTV customer service rep when my old box went kaput on my back in the early part of October that a brand new receiver would be coming to my house. Not to nitpick but if he can't guarantee the receiver I was going to get was going to be new, he shouldn't have made that claim.

For full dislosure, the DirecTV rep told me the box I received as a replacement to my original box was a refurbished model although there's no sticker on it. Then again this box could be new and the guy just may not know what he's talking about. I don't have a problem getting a leased refurbished product as long as it's held to a strict quality code and it works. I don't want anyone to think that I have a problem with refurbished products because I don't. It's recorded everything I've set it up to tape and that's great, no freezing, and no stopping mid program during a recording. My only gripe is the fact that the cooling fan is exceptionally loud which has me a little worried when other electronical devices in my house that are the same size (or greater) than this DVR are far more quiet.

Last edited:
We just got our new R15 and it is an R15-100. Now we have a 100, 300, and 500, along with the HR20.

No real problems here with any of them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)