Status
Please reply by conversation.

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
This is my first full day on my new D* install so I'm exploring...

I just booted to my native Windows 7 install (my primary OS is linux) and installed directv2pc so I could see what it looks like, how it works, etc. My son doesn't have a receiver in his room but he has his computer hooked up to both a monitor and his 32" LCD TV.

I am PLEASANTLY surprised! I was under the impression you could watch a recorded program off of the DVR with this, but that it could only play, and not pause, rewind, skip forward...

WRONG! (and pleasantly so)

It found both of our DVRs, presented a playlist, and allowed me to pause, rewind, skip forward... AND the picture was really really good. This is definitely a usable application. It defaults to running full screen but can run windowed and handles multi-monitor setups.

So yet ANOTHER great reason to switch :) .... and yeah, I feel silly being all excited about new toys, but this was a really nice surprise and I thought it was worth mentioning

Yes, I really like DirecTV2PC for the computers. There's more coming, something called Project Nomad. I don't know the details but I've read about it.

Only issue I have with DirecTV2PC is it seems to just dominate my network connection from time to time... if im playing a game or browsing websites at the same time things will sometimes time out or disconnect. This is especially true just after fast forwarding/rewinding/jumping around the timeline.

If im doing nothing else though, it's great.

I can't seem to run it an any of my computers. Once says there is no HDCP and the other (a new laptop) says the video driver isn't new enough.

As far as the video driver, you may just be able to update your card with the most recent driver. That is what my son did. Our experience with the TV2C is great so far. The only downside is that if you are watching a recorded program on the computer, your wife cannot watch a recorded program on the normal TV at the same time.

We have had Direct for a couple of weeks now and are actually pleased.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts