rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
Doug announced this tonight as part of this weeks CE, see DBSTalk 1080 thread-requires membership .

There is a special surprise in this weeks CE release ..

1080p

I'm sure many of you will find this quite exciting. There are however certain conditions in which this will work.

This is only for the HR20 .. It is not available on the HR21 or HR22 at the moment.
Only available via DIRECTV on Demand at the moment (Channel 1080)
You must use HDMI
You must turn Native to 'on'
Both 720p and 1080i LEDs will illuminate when in 1080p mode

I think it's pretty cool that DIRECTV chose 1080 for the channel number .. So, discuss away and have fun.

Note: Channel 1080 (DIRECTV on Demand) may not exist at the moment, but should be available soon.

Thanks Rad, another one I missed this weekend. Lets keep any discussion of the 1080p in this thread, including issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad I have no way of seeing it. I only have 1080i and 720p TV's. I will get a 1080p when my old huge projection dies. Its only component and only one 1080i in. Its about 6-7 years old and due for a replacement. Hopefully I can get another 2 years out of it.

Just ran accrost this on Directv's website, you must go to Directv.com select TV SCHEDULE TAB, then DIRECTV ON DEMAND, go thru the channels listed and you'll see HD 1080p CE TEST CHANNEL, select it and it will record "The bucket list" FREE.

Just ran accrost this on Directv's website, you must go to Directv.com select TV SCHEDULE TAB, then DIRECTV ON DEMAND, go thru the channels listed and you'll see HD 1080p CE TEST CHANNEL, select it and it will record "The bucket list" FREE.

Working for me and downloading as we speak. Need to grab the HDMI Cable :)

Ok, so im all downloaded... my Screen went black.. Both 720p and 1080I lights came on.. It did the DHCP hand Shake.. My TV's display went to 1080P. We went from a black screen, to a black screen with a green line that went from 1/4th of the way from the bottom and rolled down the screen. A picture of mountians appeared for a split second and looked oh so pritty... then a black screen. Pressing play, does nothing... Guess im out of luck :( Sending diag report for D*

Was able to exit out. Waiting... Waiting.... Waiting.... Ok were done.. Report Number: 20080817-214C

Now im trying again.... starting over.. DHCP hand Shake... Blue screen on tv (its waiting signal from D* box.) Both lights are lit, but the box is not outputting a 1080P signal. My tv does accept 1080P sigs, as I have 4 1080 P devices hooked up to it... Xbox360, Bluray, HDDVD, and now D*

Trying one more time.. BTW no sound coming from the box. Now were at the blue screen again.. Awating a signal from D* box.

My setup... D* reciver ------Dennon 1080P AV Audio reciver----- Mitsubishi 1080P TV.

The Dennon AV reciver passes on what ever is coming from HDMI in its native format and only decodes the audio.

So, for now untill the next software update D*'s 1080P is not working. I do reccommend others to give it a shot.

Update: when going to a 720P channel, I was able to get it to reconize the movie.. But it has no sound and flash'es periodically like its playing but having a hard time playing the movie. It will flash for a half a second, then go black.. Then flash for a half of second more. When it does show, there is sound as I was able to just catch morgan freeman saying pat or something like that. The video quality that I am seeing from the flash's is really good, allthough if I had more than half seconds to compare I could give you a defiate.... Right now it sounds like that its drivers for the HDMI port that is causing an issue...

I downloaded via the Directtv.com site...took about 2 1/4 hrs. (10K dwnload speed). Phelps' 8th took priority, but from what I saw/heard it was outstanding. No playback problems whatsoever (1080p TV).

For those without access to the DBSTalk site: If you try to watch it while it downloads the only method that works (it was in the CE notes) is by highlighting the movie on "My Playlist" and pressing the play button on the remote. Don't use the "play" from the submenu.

Also note this is only for the HR20...It is not available on the HR21 or HR22 at the moment.

Last edited:
My 1080p set will not display the 1080p VOD movie. Funny that it has no problem with real 1080p (BluRay). Ive heard of this same problem on Dish too.

Hey thanks for the link that I cant view :) ;)

Sorry, I was in a rush and just wanted to get some news here so that if folks were interested they could do the CE last night. And just like here, if you want in the CE section of the forum you need to be registered.

OK, mine D/L while I was asleep, but it plays fine and looks great; scaled to 1080i (I guess that's what we call it) on my FPTV - got all the HD Olympic beach volleyball matches too.

Works from a HR20-700 to a Samsung LN-S4696D, 1920x1080p 24hz.

I hope they can get more compatibility. If they don't they are not going to sell very many 1080p downloads.

For grins I tried it with my Dell W3201C, which is a 720p panel from my other HR20-700, set the DVR to native output like the instructions said and bingo, played just fine, TV said it was a 1080i source.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)