Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
It’s DIRECTV’s 29th birthday on June 17! To celebrate and to see how far we have come, here are a few fun facts about the history of DIRECTV:

• DIRECTV is Born (June 17, 1994) The first DIRECTV system was bought by Lemoyne Martin at “Cowboy Maloney’s” electronics store in Jackson, MI
  • The First Sports Package (1994) DIRECTV launches NFL Sunday Ticket, allowing football fans to watch the full slate of out-of-marker games on Sundays
  • Entertainment to the Skies (2000) DIRECTV introduces the first live in-flight television service for airlines on JetBlue
  • Going Local (2002) DIRECTV deploys the first local-into-local spot beam satellite to beam all local channels for the top 41 markets in the US
  • Content in High-Definition (2005) DIRECTV launches High-Def local channels using Spaceway satellites, and followed with 100+ HD National channels, sparking the US’s appetite for HDTV
  • A New Sports Experience (2008) DIRECTV launches the Game Mix channels with NFL Sunday Ticket, allowing customers to watch 8 games at once
  • On the Move (2011) DIRECTV is the first service to allow you to take your DVR content on-the-go with the GenieGO product
  • More Rooms, Less Wires (2014) DIRECTV launches the Wireless Genie Mini and Wireless Video Bridge, bringing high-def live video to any room in our customer’s homes without running extra wires
  • First in 4K (2014) DIRECTV introduces the first 4K UHD content with Push VOD rentals, followed with live sports in 4K with the 2016 Masters Tournament (Golf) and 25 MLB games
  • TV Wherever, Whenever (2016) DIRECTV NOW “General Market” streaming service launches with Cloud DVR
  • Smart, Superior Streaming (2020) The AT&T TV premium streaming service launches nationally
  • DIRECTV All-In on Video (2021) DIRECTV becomes a standalone company with a singular focus on video
  • Gemini Product Launch (2023) DIRECTV’s first product launch in over 7 years

Their 30th is gonna be an even bigger event. I plan to somehow gather my entire DTV collection (consists of every directv branded receiver every made) and showcase this to commemorate the innovation that each new receiver brought.

I signed on with them in '95. It has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride, over the years gone by. But, I have hung around and I am still doing business with them, to this day. Happy 29th coming soon!

I've been with Directv since 1999, 24 yrs. I bought a 2 receiver Sony package from Egghead. We had to install and set it up yourself back then.
Same here. I purchased my DIRECTV system December 1994 as a Christmas gift for my family. Froze my ass off installing it the first week of January 1995.

Reactions: John2021 and AZ.
Same here. I purchased my DIRECTV system December 1994 as a Christmas gift for my family. Froze my ass off installing it the first week of January 1995.
we paid someone to freeze there ass off since we couldn't find the sat :biggrin. it was well worth the 199.00. thank god because at that time it had to go up on the chimley