DirecTV's HD DVR or HMC HD DVR?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Maverick77

Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
NC
Hello, this is my first post here. The reason I am posting is that I called DirecTV about getting whole home DVR service. They said that I need to upgrade my current HD DVR (over 3 years old) first. They gave me two choices (each with a $49.99 installation charge): I can upgrade to their newer HD DVR (400 hour storage capacity) for free or I could upgrade to the new HMC HD DVR for $299 (they offered me $100 off the $399 price).

My question: Is the HMC HD DVR worth paying $299 for over their other HD DVR?

What model is your current HD DVR?...I just ordered an HD DVR from them directly & they sent me one that is 4 years old (HR21) - refurbished...but it was free:) I also have one HD DVR that is over 5 years old (HR20) I have have MRV set up...

You still under contract? If not you should be able to get the HMC for $99
So I just called and they said it is a full $399 now, they didn't even offer me the $100 off I got from the guy last night. They said the fact that I am not under contract doesn't matter.

What model is your current HD DVR?...I just ordered an HD DVR from them directly & they sent me one that is 4 years old (HR21) - refurbished...but it was free:) I also have one HD DVR that is over 5 years old (HR20) I have have MRV set up...
It just says HD DVR on the front. They did tell me that it wouldn't work with whole home DVR service and I would need to upgrade either to their newer DVR or the HMC DVR.

Hello, this is my first post here. The reason I am posting is that I called DirecTV about getting whole home DVR service. They said that I need to upgrade my current HD DVR (over 3 years old) first. They gave me two choices (each with a $49.99 installation charge): I can upgrade to their newer HD DVR (400 hour storage capacity) for free or I could upgrade to the new HMC HD DVR for $299 (they offered me $100 off the $399 price).

My question: Is the HMC HD DVR worth paying $299 for over their other HD DVR?
what receivers do you currently have?

Maverick77 said:
So I just called and they said it is a full $399 now, they didn't even offer me the $100 off I got from the guy last night. They said the fact that I am not under contract doesn't matter.

Speak to retentions and threat to cancel. That may work

The HR22 will do MRV, the CSR was just trying to get you to upgrade. Unless you upgrade to the HMC HR34, you might get an even older HDDVR.
The H21 will also work.

The HMC has 5 tuners and requires the SWM installation.

BTW, you might be able to get DirecTV to authorize an unsupported installation of Whole Home.

Just connect your current DVR and receiver to your router with Cat5 cable and go through the network setup on the units.

I am going to call and cancel my NFL Ticket I just bought yesterday and lower my tier programing and see if that works.

What kind of set up do you have for your HR22 & H21? Do you have to have 2 cables run to your HR22 from your satellite dish with B-Band converters(& do you have a B-Band Converter running to your H21?) or only one? Is your satellite LNB 4 cables out or only 1? Unless you just want to upgrade everything,you can easily send an email to DIRECTV saying that you want "unsupported MRV(multi-room viewing)" whole home DVR set up(which is a whole lot cheaper than the price you'd pay for upgrading your dish to SWM + if you add or upgrade to a HR34,if you don't want to go that route,& it won't extend your contract). You'd have to hook up both your HR22 & H21 by ethernet cable to your router(no wireless set up). See if you can go this route first.

Those will work fine with whole home......the CSR did not know what he was talking about.

Speak to retentions and threat to cancel. That may work

Threatening to cancel is not a good idea. If you get the "wrong" csr, they may say "okay, fine, bye!"
Be nice and just say you are considering your options and you want to know what they can do for you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)