Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
DirecTV is getting ready to release a new SD-DVR called the R22.

This is basically a SD version of the HR21.

It is targeted for release in new locals markets where they put the locals up in MPEG-4 on the new D11 satellite. This may be released along the same time they start offering the slimline-3 dish, which only sees 99/101/103.

Here is a link to a hands-on review / opening of the new R22.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=127839

image_01.jpg

No, not at all.

This is just simply an R16 with HR21 features (ethernet for VOD, MPEG4)

Any SD locals that have rolled out recently have been MPEG4 as will any future ones.

Thus they need an SD receiver that can decode MPEG4. Plus this fits right in with their long term plans of going to MPEG4 only receivers in a couple years.

But SD in MPEG2 is here to stay since there are 30+ million receivers that would need to be replaced. That's a whole lot of money. Over time with attrition it will be easier to do but I wouldn't be seeing DirecTV even considering it for at least 5 years if not more. Maybe by 2015.

No, not at all.

This is just simply an R16 with HR21 features (ethernet for VOD, MPEG4)

Any SD locals that have rolled out recently have been MPEG4 as will any future ones.

Thus they need an SD receiver that can decode MPEG4. Plus this fits right in with their long term plans of going to MPEG4 only receivers in a couple years.

But SD in MPEG2 is here to stay since there are 30+ million receivers that would need to be replaced. That's a whole lot of money. Over time with attrition it will be easier to do but I wouldn't be seeing DirecTV even considering it for at least 5 years if not more. Maybe by 2015.

the thing is eventually they can have just 1 box like a hr21 for both sd and hd customers. remember that these boxes can also display sd. to me it would be great to have everything at mpeg4.

Hello all, Has anyone solved the problem of not having a viiv intel chip on their computer and has anyone found a way to use d*tv's media sharing capability? I cannot view photos, music vids because I have am using vista ultimate 64.
D*tv is no help at all and their response is that media share will work only with viiv intel chip computers. Are there actually only computers out there that have that feature, if there are it must be in 5 househols around the world?
Well, I have gotten that rant out of my system, and I hope some kind soul can tell me how to get D*tv's media share to actully work!
Many thanks,
Marie

Hello all, Has anyone solved the problem of not having a viiv intel chip on their computer and has anyone found a way to use d*tv's media sharing capability? I cannot view photos, music vids because I have am using vista ultimate 64.
D*tv is no help at all and their response is that media share will work only with viiv intel chip computers. Are there actually only computers out there that have that feature, if there are it must be in 5 househols around the world?
Well, I have gotten that rant out of my system, and I hope some kind soul can tell me how to get D*tv's media share to actully work!
Many thanks,
Marie

You do not need Viiv. Directv's CSRs only seem to be trained in Viiv support, however.

The Viiv software has some features which others do not so far, and only will work with computers that have the Viiv chipset.

You should be able to get Media Share to work with WMP11, Tversity, Orb or Twonky (there may be others). Most people running Windows seem to prefer Tversity. I am using EyeConnect on a Mac and it works as well as any of the other media servers.

There is a lot of information on setting up Media Share in one of the DBSTalk forums.

Just wanted to update this thread, I got a R22 in my install, I will snap some pics and give you guys impressions of the box (impressions after I get to play with it a bit)!!

I've got an R22 also. Very nice box. Looks like it is ready for a software upgrade to HD, but don't know if it has all of the circuitry for that. It has HDMI output and lights on the front of it to indicate 720p and 1080i output.

here are the three pics I snapped, just showing front, back, and HDMI and all the hookups....So far it seems to have the UI of the HR21...I just got installed today so I will be playing for awhile on these things...also I have to run another line and the RG6 so I cna really take advantage of this thing!

Attachments

• DSC03682.JPG
    DSC03682.JPG
    654.1 KB · Views: 699
  • DSC03683.JPG
    DSC03683.JPG
    640.6 KB · Views: 695
  • DSC03684.JPG
    DSC03684.JPG
    712.2 KB · Views: 544
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)