Directx Swm device or Swim

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

LBDirectvnew

Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
Texas
I'm looking at subscribing to Directv. Need a couple receivers for house, and one for my camper. However, a friend recently had a system installed and stated that directv uses a new thing called a "swim" device ? Keeps you from running dual cables for DVRs, etc and it all works with one cable. (I hope I'm saying this right as I'm not up to speed on these things). He stated that if you don't have your receiver plugged into this that every 30 days the receivers talk to each other and if it doesn't see the receiver, it will cancel the receiver. So my question is whether this happens ? I don't use the camper often, and sometimes months before using, but it would be nice to use satelite when we do go. But, this spare receiver won't be used very often. Will this new system actually cancel my service if it's not always hookep up ? Thanks for any advice. I don't want to get the extra receiver if that is the case.
LB

I don't know for sure but I've seen a receiver that's been powered off (unplugged, not just the power off button) loose it's authorization after awhile, don't know the time frame. The account isn't cancelled just the receiver needs to be reauthorizedm which you can do online or via the automated phone system.

Thank you for the reply. The other concern for the receivers that would be for the house is phone lines. My TV is nowhere near a phone line. I would have to run a wire across the floor whihc I can't do with the grandkids running through the house. I've been told that you must always have a connection as well or you lose service too. It would be very difficult to run a phone line to my TV. With my house. nothing is ever easy.

Unless you order a pay per view via the remote you don't need a phone line and the won't disable your account.

Thank you RAD. I feel more comfortable with the switch from cable to satelite. My buddy had me worried that it may not work at my house with the phone / etc. I appreicate all the help.

I called my buddy who had Directv installed a few weeks ago to tell him that I'm going forward with it since I think he gets the referral credit. I explained what I learned here. His reply was "when I got mine installed, the tech said the phone line needed to be plugged in because this new SWM device allows the main receiver to talk to the other receivers. The phone line allows directv to "ping" the receiver which then the main receiver determines if the other receivers are attached and working properly with all updates. If the main doesn't see all the receivers, it deactivates them." So, just to be sure, if I use a standard one in my camper, the main receiver won't see it. And, not only that, I won't be able to keep a phone line plugged into the main receiver or any receiver for that matter. at the house. From what the tech told him, this is something new that directv does by pinging the main receiver via the phone line to monitor them and send a signal back I guess through the phone line or he said through the dish which I didn't think that was possible as I thought they only receive, not transmit, that all receivers are working and "talking" to each other. And, if they can't send a signal back, they stop working. The tech said it's something new, so maybe only with the new systems they install ? I know other replies from people said they have never plugged their receivers into a phone jack as well, but it sounded like they are the old or legacy receivers. I don't get it, but with what he says, does any of that make sense ? Or I can assume I should not have any issues with mine when I get it ?

What a SWiM WILL allow is for all SWiM attached receivers to use a phone or network connection to report PPV purchase back via that one receiver.

You've asked this question a number of times and we've said no phoneline is necessary unless you want to order PPV programs via your remote. If you are that worried about the phone line tell the DirecTV installer to run a line for you. Or you can go out and purchase a powerline phone line extender like Amazon.com: RCA RC920 Wireless Phone Jack Extension: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/7123VFQ8TTL.@@AMEPARAM@@7123VFQ8TTL.

Sounds good then. I think I'm ready to make the switch from cable to satelite. I'm sorry for all the questions. I am always leary on signing a 2yr agreement and having all the cancelation fees. I feel much better on it now.
On the other forum, I had asked about using just a standard receiver from the house when we camp. I have an old tv that would be great to use satelite on. At home, I will get HD and also one standard. I was told that when I take the receiver (standard one) to my camper, to change settings from SWM to I guess the round dish (as I will purchase a used round dish for the camper). So, if I understand this correctly, my standard receiver that I will get will be set to SWM at the house, but when I go to campsite, I have to switch to Round dish ? If this is correct, then I have 2 more questions.
1. Will the standard receiver not work with the round dish until I change the settings from SWM to Round ? If so, is it because the dishes receive signals different so you have to tell the receiver what type of dish you are using ?
2. How do you change from SWM to Round ?
progress.gif

We can not promise you swim equipment.

Again no one can promise you swim equiment our Order managment system selects the equipments that gets put on the tech truck .

I think you have to have 5 or more DIRECTV tuners to even maybe get SWM installed.

Who knows what the guy driving the DIRECTV truck will have when he get's to your house.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)