DIRT Help/Advice

andyin137

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Lompoc,California
After 10 years with my present Job I was Laid off due to government cutbacks and same month I had a stroke ,this has limited my income and ability to seek work immediately.Anyway I am not asking for a handout but as A good/longtime Customer was wondering if dish has any available discounts for me.I have been switching around packages trying to find the one that has best (most watched channels,in my household)and unfortunately the only package that suits my needs is AT 250,mainly because its carries Bio,A& E,Discovery,TLC,Hist,SYFY and TRavel.Unfortunately Dish doesnt offer these channels in a lower package in order to get them I have to really stretch budget and get AT250.The Ideal Package for us was Dish Gold(but its not available anymore).
Directv has made me an offer for 46.00 a month that carries the Channels I want.I dont like switching ,so I am seeing if Dish can offer me a deal to stay.I would even reup contract if offer is good.I have 2 days to decide what to do.I hope to stay with dish..Just to add,My lay off came completle out of the Blue due to government cut backs (sequester).I was told one day you job is saved ,then called in next day saying it wasnt.My family is hurting finacially now because of low savings,and very small Unemployement check.If I cant get some bills reduced (ot at least ask )Dish will have to be cancelled.I just cant see paying for all those channels to only watch a few.Its like ordering and extra Large pizza and eating 2 pieces and throwing away the rest.Waste of money.But when it comes down to the big picture ,do I really need an extra large pizza when I could of ordered a small that had all the toppings I wanted?

Last edited:
After 10 years with my present Job I was Laid off due to government cutbacks and same month I had a stroke ,this has limited my income and ability to seek work immediately.Anyway I am not asking for a handout but as A good/longtime Customer was wondering if dish has any available discounts for me.I have been switching around packages trying to find the one that has best (most watched channels,in my household)and unfortunately the only package that suits my needs is AT 250,mainly because its carries Bio,A& E,Discovery,TLC,Hist,SYFY and TRavel.Unfortunately Dish doesnt offer these channels in a lower package in order to get them I have to really stretch budget and get AT250.The Ideal Package for us was Dish Gold(but its not available anymore).
Directv has made me an offer for 46.00 a month that carries the Channels I want.I dont like switching ,so I am seeing if Dish can offer me a deal to stay.I would even reup contract if offer is good.I have 2 days to decide what to do.I hope to stay with dish..
This is a reply you won't like. Irregardless of the programming the family wants buy at regular price only what you can afford. You already know you can't equal your previous earnings and disability if you can qualify is a fixed amount. The Welcome Pak at $19.99 doesn't give all your programming but it is a reasonable price and with free previews allows a large amount of programming. Any promotional offer is subject to change especially Directv, how many months is it good for?

.I know about welcome pack and thats my last resort if finances get worse.I am just asking to see if any offers are out there.And what my choices are.My nieghbor got a good deal from Loyalty dept and they kept her as a customer.(But unfortunately she ended up passing away and didnt get the full benefits of her offer).

Thank You to DIRT for responding so quickly and helping me save a little money while laid off,while not having to drop package way down.Decided to pay on account every 2 weeks,so as to not seem too bad.Hope it doesn't confuse billing dept.

Thank you to DIRT for helping me so fast and getting me a little discount to help out ,the additional BBH free for 3 months is nice as you can stream movies.I work for The Air Force and due to The Sequester my Job was temporarily eliminated(Baker for the Troops)in order for AF to renovate Dining Hall.I am hoping this Lay off is only for a couple months,and they will give my Job back,but no guarentee as Sedexo has taken over food contracts.I have been working fulltime for over 35 years,never collected Unemployement,now I only receive half of my normal pay.But I will make it work.Thanks for the well wishes..