disable daily upgrade check?

Didn't know the 211 had so few. I find the 99 on the 722k to limited at times.

WOA!! 99 timers!??!?!?!! That rocks!!

THAT, would be more than enough for me..

Seriously, I should buy a second tuner that just sits and records my favorite series and use this one just for watching.

There's tons of stuff I would love to have the entire series of. Weekends are my catch up days, I can sit and watch TV for 12-14 hours at a time, if not more.. :eek:

I'm atheist. ;)

But there is wisdom/common sense in that prayer... :)

So, changing the reboot time is not an option, and neither is setting an auto-tune timer to wake it up. How about sleeping with the radio on instead of the TV. :) Just trying to help.

The radio makes me insane. I can't sleep at all with music playing. It keeps me awake better than quadruple shots of espresso ..

Actually the 622/722/722K are limited to 96 timers. However you can use Dish Remote Access to circumvent that limit.

WOA!! 99 timers!??!?!?!! That rocks!!

THAT, would be more than enough for me..

Seriously, I should buy a second tuner that just sits and records my favorite series and use this one just for watching.

There's tons of stuff I would love to have the entire series of. Weekends are my catch up days, I can sit and watch TV for 12-14 hours at a time, if not more.. :eek:
722k has 4 tuners so you can divide the 96 (typo earlier was in hosp at the time). So it would be 24 timers per tuner on the 722k. Have run into the limit several times as others have. You may be hitting the combo of timers/events. Part of the time I've hit the limit was due to the combo. Many of us have asked many times when there such a low limit.

Actually the 622/722/722K are limited to 96 timers. However you can use Dish Remote Access to circumvent that limit.
Found out today the hosp I was in wouldn't let me to remote access (barracuda filter that blocked it-not Dish just remote). A real pisser. Didn't know if I was getting out for sure and knew I was getting close to filling up the HDD. Fortunately I did get out and had a little over an hr left for time on the HDD.

This morning the whole thing, check the disk, acquire the signals, download the guide data, rebooting and whatever else it was doing, took THIRTY FIVE MINUTES......

That's unacceptable.. :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

If it did that once a week, I would be ok with that. But everyday? :mad::rant:

35 minutes!! REALLY?????? :rant:

On a 622/722 you can add more than 96 timers by using remote access but then you cannot add more locally until you are below 96. On a 622/722 the time to reset includes a disk file system check (fsck) of the EHD, so it depends on the size of the drive and can be more than 30 minutes. Anytime before or during that check you can pull the EHD power or the USB connection and it will finish off the reboot in about 5 minutes.

You can check when the last fsck was by Menu+6+3+Counters+PageDowns.

On the 211, you probably do not want to disconnect the EHD or you will not get the 9-day guide. So live with a small drive or plan for it to take a long time to reboot. See, you really wanted a 722 to pull the EHD and still get the long guide.

You will want to allow for the EHD fsck in the reboot because once started you cannot start a timer or view a program until completed. The alternative would be to unplug the EHD and restart the reboot manually to be sure you get the full guide or live with no guide until you can reboot. The longer you postpone the reboot, the squirrel-ier it will get. Sometimes that happens before 24 hours are up especially with a lot of EHD activity--that's bad. But sometimes you can defer the reboot for 48 or more hours--good luck.

-Ken

This morning I was watching TV in my office on my ASUS PC screen.

7am rolls around and there we go, off into LA-LA-Land for half an hour. I sat and watched it and it did TWO disk checks. It did the first one that took quite a while then when it was finished the screen cleared for a few seconds and it did a whole 'nother disk check all over again, just as long as the first one. :mad:

Then it downloaded the program guide, went through a few screens of "Acquiring satellite signal" then shut down. When it shut down it locked up the ASUS screen. The screen went from showing it's normal blue LED to an amber LED and was non-responsive to any buttons I pressed on it. It has no remote control at all. It's a PC screen not a TV. I can only assume that when the tuner shut down the PC screen assumed that it too should go into LA-LA-Land as well.
I had to power off the screen then turn it back on again just to see the stupid Dish screen saying that the tuner is "powered off".. :rolleyes:

On my Vizio TV, when the tuner shuts down, the TV stays on and it displays the 'Hi, I'm powered off' screen. The PC screen I also use, trips out and locks up.
That really annoys me. I guess it's trying to be a happy little energy saver but it really should wait like 2-3 minutes before it flips out. Or give you the option to turn that feature off.

Oh well. It does what it does. It can't be disabled or overridden so I just have to live with it. I really wish Dish would have given us the option to go through this nonsense once a week rather than every bloody day...

Sigh......

I'm sorry, but there just has to be a 30 minute period of your day where you could set the update to occur where it won't conflict with your viewing habits.

I'm sorry, but there just has to be a 30 minute period of your day where you could set the update to occur where it won't conflict with your viewing habits.

Sure there is. But it changes every day. It's absolutely impossible for me to sleep a set pattern of hours. I go to bed and wake up at different times almost every day.

Oh well..

the problem has to be the aftermarket switch/lnb config is confusing the receiver.

the entire process of running a check switch and downloading the program guide takes less than 5 minutes on the 211k when using DPP equipment. Even when using legacy LNBs w/ sw21 it takes less than 10 minutes.

the problem has to be the aftermarket switch/lnb config is confusing the receiver.

the entire process of running a check switch and downloading the program guide takes less than 5 minutes on the 211k when using DPP equipment. Even when using legacy LNBs w/ sw21 it takes less than 10 minutes.

you know that is a possibility. I had used a SW31 before I switched to a SW21 with Legacy Twin/dual setups. But even then it did take longer than normal. It would take like 15 minutes but if I rebooted it manually it would be less than 7 or so

I don't agree. I have a brand new setup, vip211k and 1000.4 EA dish and check switch takes at least 5 minutes and sometimes as long as 8 minutes. Acquiring signal normally takes around 3 to 4 minutes. Downloading program guide has never taken less than 8 minutes and usually more than 10 minutes.

I disabled going into standby because it would go into standby every night, then when I turned on TV every morning it would reset receiver and I would have to wait for the whole process before I could watch the morning news. Since I disabled, no problems with resets.

I have to make mention that the disk is a 2 terabyte 5900rpm. It doesn't have a lot on it.
It says right now, "HD 184hr 45min - SD 738hr 59min Avail"

I can't get to the HD diagnostics screen right now because it's recording.

The thing that is the big time consumer is the disk check and it's doing two of them in a row at over 10 minutes apiece. That's 20+ minutes right there.
The acquiring signal and downloading the guide part is only a 1/3 of the whole thing and is probably normal.

Again, I don't think it would be unacceptable for this to happen on a weekly basis, especially considering the guide is what, 9 days?

Checking the disk twice a day, in my opinion, is beyond excessive.

I use Ubuntu Linux on my internet PC. It uses EXT4 and has two 2tb disks in it. I leave it powered up all the time, I rarely ever shut it off.
Even so, it's standard for fsck to run like every 30 mounts. I rarely ever reboot so fsck rarely runs on it. It's entirely possible that the thing could go a year without checking the disk so every few months I force a manual check and I've never had any problems. A few months ago a disk began to fail and a huge warning popped up on my screen warning me to immediately backup and remove the disk because it was about to fail.

I've read that the Dish systems use Linux and that the file system on the DVR disks is some version of EXT. I would assume it's EXT3 but I hope it's EXT4 though that's unlikely.

EXT is a very reliable file system that rarely has problems unless there is a hardware problem.

I know this because after having years of bad experiences getting ripped off by Best Buy & Circuit City over Windows problems I got wise to the game and switched to Ubuntu Linux.
I vowed to learn some basics about it because the days of paying people to "fix" my computer had come to an end.

I don't know a lot about Linux but I know enough now that I no longer pay people to do any computer stuff for me. I can put in new disks, new video cards, etc. I can upgrade from an old version of Ubuntu to a new version and not lose any files in the process because I partition my disks. So I do know a little about Linux. Not a lot but enough to get by on my own.

That said, I believe preforming TWO disk checks in a row, per day is far above and beyond excessive and totally unnecessary. ONE dish check a week would be more than enough.

But again, the problem is that it's baked into the system and can not be changed at all. My only option now is to just live with it. It is what it is, as they say..

I guess the best solution is to schedule the checks to happen during the time of day when I'm switched over to my FTA tuner watching C-band. The only problem then would be maybe recordings but I suppose it would know that it can't record during that time frame and would schedule recordings around this down time.

Other than this annoyance, the benefits far outweigh the annoyances.

Oh, and we just had two days of very heavy rain and flooding. I never experienced any rain fade or signal loss even during the worst of the rain. That 1.2m dish for 129 really paid off! Even the smaller 1m dishes for 110 & 119 worked great.
Soon, I'm changing out my 1.2m dish for a 2m dish for my HD stuff. I guess I need to figure out which satellite to aim the 1.2 at. Rain fade is not an issue, at all.. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts