disable daily upgrade check?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If you have only weekly guide updates, your guide might be out of date the day after an update if a network decided to change their schedule.

I don't agree. I have a brand new setup, vip211k and 1000.4 EA dish and check switch takes at least 5 minutes and sometimes as long as 8 minutes. Acquiring signal normally takes around 3 to 4 minutes. Downloading program guide has never taken less than 8 minutes and usually more than 10.

YMMV, not every system is the same which is why it was brought up. OTOH, EA and WA are different animals all together.

OK. 96 timers is one thing. But let's not forget, there is another limit - 576 events. If you set a few timers that have large numbers of skipped events, those skipped events still count toward that event maximum. Multiple recordings of the same program count toward the event maximum. And I believe the experience has been, as posted here, that the max number of events is usually hit before the max number of timers.

I have a multitude of sleep disorders and several physical disabilities that prevent me from sleeping like normal people. I have no circadian clock. I tend to sleep days and stay up nights but over a period of two to three months, my clock rotates.Noon for you is always at noon. For me, this week, noon is around 9pm. Next week my noon will be 10ish. Week after that, 11ish.. And so on.. A few times a year I'll roll my hours over to where I'm getting up with the sun and going to bed 9 to 10pm but that never lasts but for a few weeks at the most and it's right back to the same old routine. My mom was the same way so it's partially inherited and partially due to physical problems. So it is impossible for me to set anything to a regimented routine. I would have to reprogram the updates thing every single week.

Welcome to the party! I'm 54 and have been this way since I was 6. All my life school, jobs, whatever were always a major problem for me. I used to work midnights whenever I could because that's when I'm up. And I commiserate with you. People don't understand that midnight for them is supper time for you. I went to a sleep clinic and the doc there gave me Rosarea for a sleeping pill. These things will knock an elephant out. They're great for the days when you absolutely have to sleep so that you can be up at 6 AM for something important. Check into it if you have a need.

As for the timers, they seem to generally need 20 minutes (as a safety buffer) for the update to do its thing. I then noticed it needs around 40 minutes when its doing a major software upgrade and update the guide both. I set mine all over the clock, but finally returned it to 3 am because if I'm not sleeping, by some quirk of fate, then I'm up playing Xbox anyway. On the 722K, if I have a timer set at 3, the timer will keep going (the red recording light is on) and the update will happen in the background, but it still goes to the black logo screen.

Last edited:
Welcome to the party! I'm 54 and have been this way since I was 6. All my life school, jobs, whatever were always a major problem for me. I used to work midnights whenever I could because that's when I'm up. And I commiserate with you. People don't understand that midnight for them is supper time for you. I went to a sleep clinic and the doc there gave me Rosarea for a sleeping pill. These things will knock an elephant out. They're great for the days when you absolutely have to sleep so that you can be up at 6 AM for something important. Check into it if you have a need.

As for the timers, they seem to generally need 20 minutes (as a safety buffer) for the update to do its thing. I then noticed it needs around 40 minutes when its doing a major software upgrade and update the guide both. I set mine all over the clock, but finally returned it to 3 am because if I'm not sleeping, by some quirk of fate, then I'm up playing Xbox anyway. On the 722K, if I have a timer set at 3, the timer will keep going (the red recording light is on) and the update will happen in the background, but it still goes to the black logo screen.

Sleeping pills, noooooooooooooo............. I hate those things. They ignite my RLS like the sun. They have the opposite effect on me, they keep me awake.
My best friend passed away two years ago and her favorite thing was sleeping pills. While they didn't kill her directly, they had a part in her dying. :cry:
I will not take them.

I don't know what the machine is doing because I'm not about to sit there for 45 minutes watching the screen to take notes.

I finally ended up setting the time to update at 5am. More often than not I'm usually asleep or trying to be asleep around that time. What I do is just switch over to my FTA system around 4am so I can watch ThisTV (Outer Limits, Highway Patrol, etc.) and then the 211 can do it's thing. It just seems that there is no choice in the matter, no way to prevent this annoying behavior and that ~I~ have to accept and adapt to it. I'm not in the habit of machines dictating to me how things will be. This is a first for me. I either find a way to make things work the way I want them to or I take a hammer to them. But this, I don't want to hammer it and it won't play things my way so what else can I do?

So, I bend, it wins. Case closed.

Am I the only one who thinks "discount double check" when reading the title of this thread? :)

...and now back to your regularly scheduled thread topic...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)