Disabling the famous " Spot Beam "

Status
Please reply by conversation.
oh, to have the problems of what to do about my Satellite service at my two homes... :rolleyes:

Just kidding!:)

Seriously though.. if you can afford two houses in California of all places, and afford to drive a vehicle on Californian gas prices between the two at a 6 hour one way trip... then whats another $1200 a year for another account with D*.

I am middle class... my saying is always, "I have more time than money".

If you are upper middle class, or upper class... then your philosophy should be, "I have more money than time".

So if you are realy sick and tired of all the time you waste talking to CSR's then pay for the extra service.

oh, to have the problems of what to do about my Satellite service at my two homes... :rolleyes:

Just kidding!:)

Seriously though.. if you can afford two houses in California of all places, and afford to drive a vehicle on Californian gas prices between the two at a 6 hour one way trip... then whats another $1200 a year for another account with D*.

I am middle class... my saying is always, "I have more time than money".

If you are upper middle class, or upper class... then your philosophy should be, "I have more money than time".

So if you are realy sick and tired of all the time you waste talking to CSR's then pay for the extra service.

Yeah, I'd agree with some of that. There are reasons I have 2 homes though. I'm able to save because I don't just give away 1200.00 when it isn't setup right. I'll fight it until its done correctly. I don't just give away money because the company wants me to setup 2 accounts with them so they can bill me twice.

Having said that and listening to everyone I probably am doing it incorrectly. I am in the wrong with the company rules from what people are saying on here. I didn't know there was a rule stating, one receiver to one location. I'm from the old school when back in 1999, I could move my receivers and setup my dish at college, then back at home after school. No spot beams. Nothing to impair me from watching any channel at any location. When I traveled, I could take the dish and receiver with me and watch from my Hotel room.

From section 1.f of that agreement: You agree to provide true and accurate information about the location of your receivers. If we detect that any receiver is not regularly connected to a land-based telephone line, we may investigate and, if it is determined that the receiver is not at the location identified on your account, we may disconnect the receiver or charge you the full programming subscription price for the receiver.

One account = One location - seems pretty clear to me.

No, still not clear. The customer has (2) houses and has provided accurate information about the location of his receivers. The paragraph does not say: you may not associate your account with multiple addresses.

Yeah, I'd agree with some of that. There are reasons I have 2 homes though. I'm able to save because I don't just give away 1200.00 when it isn't setup right. I'll fight it until its done correctly. I don't just give away money because the company wants me to setup 2 accounts with them so they can bill me twice.

Having said that and listening to everyone I probably am doing it incorrectly. I am in the wrong with the company rules from what people are saying on here. I didn't know there was a rule stating, one receiver to one location. I'm from the old school when back in 1999, I could move my receivers and setup my dish at college, then back at home after school. No spot beams. Nothing to impair me from watching any channel at any location. When I traveled, I could take the dish and receiver with me and watch from my Hotel room.

You need to get an interpretation from somebody who can properly guide you. Don't rely on web forum interpretations (mine included). Clearly you can and are willing to provide whatever documentation is required to establish yourself as the principle user at both locations. Know any lawyers?

No, still not clear. The customer has (2) houses and has provided accurate information about the location of his receivers. The paragraph does not say: you may not associate your account with multiple addresses.

I agree with your next post - none of us are experts here... but the word is location, not locations, so in the absence of a "you may associate your account with multiple addresses" statement, it still seems pretty clear.

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm not looking to do anything illegal. I pay my bill and want to do things correctly. So just looking for info.

My problem is I hate calling in, talking to someone that doesn't even know English ( or isn't there primary language ), then explaining to them to change my service address because I'm here or there for a week or weekend. Thinking they've done it, I'll wait and wait and nothing has been done because the CSR forgot to press confirm or enter, leaving me without locals and with the dreaded " searching for sat signal ". So I have to call back, tell them to change it again, and find out it wasn't even changed correctly the first time.

Talking to CSR's , I guess there is some sort of extra step they must take to confirm the address change. I would say 75 % of the time its done incorrectly. Thats horrible. Makes me have to sit there and argue with them and let them know it hasn't been done right. Most of them don't have Directv so they don't realize I can see whether the local station is SF or LA to know if its been done correctly.

So to those that say just make the easy call, well, I would, if it was " easy " . It shouldn't take 30 minutes to make a address change.

Its funny, before this thread and when the CSR drilled me about changing addresses, I didn't even know Directv had some special team that watched address changes . Shoot, you'd figure instead of getting together a team like that, they'd get some English speaking CSR's that know what there doing on the first team, then put together the watchdog team. Get them trained correctly. It gets old talking to people that don't have any clue what your talking about because they don't even own a receiver from the company there working for.

Now, if your ever fortunate to talk to the level 2 techs, there legit. They know there stuff and then some. There Awesome. Wish they took more calls.

Last edited:
I didn't even know Directv had some special team that watched address changes .

That's primarily b/c many people try to see sporting events that they are not entitled-to, rather than buying out-of-market packages, and stuff like that. There are a ton of people who are total frauds. Say they want to watch the Tigers but live in Alabama, so they have their bill sent to a relative in Michigan.

That really is theft, not at all what you are trying to do, which is more like someone moving their ip-phone adapter as they travel.

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm not looking to defraud anyone. I pay my bill and want to do things correctly. So just looking for info.

My problem is I hate calling in, talking to someone that doesn't even know English ( or isn't there primary language ), then explaining to them to change my service address because I'm here or there for a week or weekend. Thinking they've done it, I'll wait and wait and nothing has been done because the CSR forgot to press confirm or enter, leaving me without locals and with the dreaded " searching for sat signal ". So I have to call back, tell them to change it again, and find out it wasn't even changed correctly the first time.

Talking to CSR's , I guess there is some sort of extra step they must take to confirm the address change. I would say 75 % of the time its done incorrectly. Thats horrible. Makes me have to sit there and argue with them and let them know it hasn't been done right. Most of them don't have Directv so they don't realize I can see whether the local station is SF or LA to know if its been done correctly.

So to those that say just make the easy call, well, I would, if it was " easy " . It shouldn't take 30 minutes to make a address change.

Its funny, before this thread and when the CSR drilled me about changing addresses, I didn't even know Directv had some special team that watched address changes . Shoot, you'd figure instead of getting together a team like that, they'd get some English speaking CSR's that know what there doing on the first team, then put together the watchdog team. Get them trained correctly. It gets old talking to people that don't have any clue what your talking about because they don't even own a receiver from the company there working for.

Now, if your ever fortunate to talk to the level 2 techs, there legit. They know there stuff and then some. There Awesome. Wish they took more calls.

Just wanted to "officially" back off a little... I think I got confused with all the other folks posting in this thread and missed the fact that you were actually changing your service address each time you called. For some reason I was thinking you kept the service address the same and (theoretically) had service going at both sites simultaneously.

While I think some of the others here may have had more nefarious purposes in mind, it sounds like you are doing things the right way and just want it to be easier... sorry if I gave you too hard of a time about it.

Just wanted to "officially" back off a little... I think I got confused with all the other folks posting in this thread and missed the fact that you were actually changing your service address each time you called. For some reason I was thinking you kept the service address the same and (theoretically) had service going at both sites simultaneously.

While I think some of the others here may have had more nefarious purposes in mind, it sounds like you are doing things the right way and just want it to be easier... sorry if I gave you too hard of a time about it.

Nah, no worries. Like I said, I'm just looking for more info on the topic. I learned a lot more than I knew on this thread. So it helped out.

But yeah, I call and change the address everytime. To the location I go to. If I don't , I can't see the locals. " Searching for Sat Signal " .

I'm just looking for a quicker way around the problem. Maybe a link on the website I'm missing where I could log onto, and boom, change it. No need to call. 3 minutes and its done.

Nah, no worries. Like I said, I'm just looking for more info on the topic. I learned a lot more than I knew on this thread. So it helped out.

But yeah, I call and change the address everytime. To the location I go to. If I don't , I can't see the locals. " Searching for Sat Signal " .

I'm just looking for a quicker way around the problem. Maybe a link on the website I'm missing where I could log onto, and boom, change it. No need to call. 3 minutes and its done.

I think that's where they open themselves up to fraud.... but maybe if they let you "sign up" for this service and checked you out for both locations, and then you just pick one or the other on the website, rather than just letting anyone go to the site and change their service address...

So if you take your receiver to the other address, and DONT change your address, do you still get national channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)