Disasembly of an actuator

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Nosbod

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Blind River Ontario
I've recently aquired another Von Weis actuator. This one is in bad shape, even with the use of 2 pipe wrenches I couldn't get the inner tude to move. What I want to do is remove the motor and motor housing from the tube and keep the motor as a spare. I've removed the 3 screws which go through the housing and screw into the pipe. The motor and housing will now turn on the pipe but it won't separate.

Any info on what I have to do next to take this apart would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you were unable to turn the inner tube then it's likely that rust has formed on the screw and locked it up. That being the case, the outer tube "should" come off once you remove those 3 screws around the outside that go through the housing. If you can get that outer housing to slip off a couple of inches you can get to that pin that holds the screw shaft to the gearbox output shaft. I'd be careful about using a pipe wrench on that inner tube though as the gears inside that main housing are PLASTIC!

So if you're able to turn the gearbox but nothing will come off then that means that the inner tube is rusted/jammed to the outer tube. Lots of WD-40 might help and or you could clamp the outer tube in a vise and "gently" tap on the end of the inner tube to see if you can make the two separate as that's the way they come apart.

Thanks for the info. I think everything here is rusted tight. I'me not trying to save the tube or screw I just want a spare motor. I'lle be gentle to start but my chop saw keeps jumping up and down on the work bench begging to be used.

I would try to save that motor/gearbox assembly if possible since it's pretty easy to swap screws and such between different units. I had two of my gearboxes apart when I shimmed some of the end play out of the output shafts and they're pretty light duty IMHO. Ya just can't have too many spare parts.

I did get it apart with some wd40 and some hammer tapping but the whole inner shaft was rusted through and the screw was rusted to the inner shaft. the inside of the outer tube was so rusted you could push your finger through it. One thing I did notice, there is a grove at the end of the outter tube for a O Ring and it was gone. Probably the reason for all the rust. Any ways I got it apart along with 2 others and came up with one in fairly good shape.

Thanks Again

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)