Discovery + added to Dish Network

Currently you can go “On Demand Browse by Channel” and see many of the same channels that are being offered by Discovery+. Is Dish planning to remove these On Demand channels? If so this is awful news since Dish wants to charge us for what we already have. I hope I am wrong.

The instructions says to sign up for Discovery+ go to channel 296. I don't have that channel in my guide. If we sign up thru DISH can we also sign in with a Firestick or TV app with our DISH credentials?

The instructions says to sign up for Discovery+ go to channel 296. I don't have that channel in my guide. If we sign up thru DISH can we also sign in with a Firestick or TV app with our DISH credentials?
Hello, charlesrshell! As this is an On Demand subscription channel, the content will only be available for viewing through On Demand on your internet-connected Hopper/Joey/Wally or through the DISH Anywhere website/app. For more information on how to watch, click here: https://my.dish.com/subscription-on-demand/discoveryplus#howtowatch.

Hello, charlesrshell! As this is an On Demand subscription channel, the content will only be available for viewing through On Demand on your internet-connected Hopper/Joey/Wally or through the DISH Anywhere website/app. For more information on how to watch, click here: https://my.dish.com/subscription-on-demand/discoveryplus#howtowatch.
You sure about that? So if we sign up for Discovery + through Dish we can only watch on Dish where as if we sign-up outside Dish we can watch on any device? Seems unlikely.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You sure about that? So if we sign up for Discovery + through Dish we can only watch on Dish where as if we sign-up outside Dish we can watch on any device? Seems unlikely.

If it’s anything like the other on demand subscription services (CuriosityStream, Dove, etc.), then yea. He’s sure: the programs are only available inside the Dish “walled garden” (to borrow a term from Apple). Premium Networks like HBO Max and STARZ don’t have this deal with Dish, but the cheaper, non-linear channel subscriptions do.

Reactions: charlesrshell
This is great! Instead of subscribing outside of Dish and using on any device we want, we can get walled in for the exact same price as outside Dish... with the added benefit of paying for the content twice as Dish subs likely already have access to the channels. I have no idea who this benefits.

This is great! Instead of subscribing outside of Dish and using on any device we want, we can get walled in for the exact same price as outside Dish... with the added benefit of paying for the content twice as Dish subs likely already have access to the channels. I have no idea who this benefits.
Unfortunately, Discovery+ does not currently allow for provider login.

Kinda hard to picture 120 getting even thinner.
Discovery has some of my favorite series, especially the ones involving mining like Gold Rush. Without Discovery, about the only thing left for me on At 120 are Fox, CNN, and CNBC. Its really not worth the $70 a month I am paying.

I have been putting it off, but I really need to call Dish and cancel. I dread doing it and being on hold for 45 minutes. After Dish is gone I will subscribe to Discovery+ without ads for $7 a month.

As for CNN and Fox -- I am weary of all the bad news lately.

UPDATE: I cancelled Dish and subscribed to Discovery+. Now I can watch a few of the Discovery + shows in UHD. :)

Last edited:
I have to be honest, I've been a D+ sub for a little over a year now and frankly after one more episode of the series I'm watching I will be canceling the sub. I will have watched everything that was of interest to me and none of the new offerings appeal to me. In my opinion Discovery isn't even a shadow of it's former self so this news means nothing to me.

Reactions: TheKrell and LQQK

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts