Discovery HD Theater Drops Map down

JohnL

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Spencerport, NY
According to my EPG data for Discovery HD Theater, it will NO Longer Map down starting August 15th.

Can't wait, I'm tired of the Map Down on NON Simulcast HD channels. On August 15th we will get the Real Discovery HD Channel instead of a ReMapped channel that is NOT the same as its SD counterpart.

Don't get me wrong I love Discovery HD Theater, but it's pretty stupid to map down to 182 when the programing is NOT the same as the SD Discovery Channel.

John

I argued this (to deaf ears) when they started the mapping down. Same applies to Food Network HD and HGTV HD. They do NOT simulcast their programming, which was the point of the mapdown feature, that is, to make people aware of the HD "version" of a show they're watching.

I have mapdown turned off and the info for channel 9421 reads:

Discovery HD Theater will return to it's normal home at channel 9421 on 8/15.

Confused me at first...

I argued this (to deaf ears) when they started the mapping down. Same applies to Food Network HD and HGTV HD. They do NOT simulcast their programming, which was the point of the mapdown feature, that is, to make people aware of the HD "version" of a show they're watching.

I have mapdown turned off and the info for channel 9421 reads:

Discovery HD Theater will return to it's normal home at channel 9421 on 8/15.

Confused me at first...

+1 on that.

This was a dumb idea to begin with. E* management must have too many meetings:D

turned off map down myself too

a - dont need the same channel in the guide twice

b - i like all the hd channels together

But we are not losing HD Theater, but keeping it and getting Discovery in HD as well, right?

And yes, the anticipation for the 15th is really building! The wait is killing me. :)

Don't worry - Discovery HD Theater is not being dropped from the line up.
HD feed of "regular" Discovery is being added in addition to DHDT.

So will the HD feed of the regular Discovery channel have all their original programming in HD: Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, Build it Bigger, etc.?

That would be a WOW from me...

So will the HD feed of the regular Discovery channel have all their original programming in HD: Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, Build it Bigger, etc.?

That would be a WOW from me...
Lately a lot of that type content has been in 16 x 9 on SD so that is an indicator (not guaranteed) that they have been filming for a while a lot of their shows in HD.

But I can guarantee that if that is the case, it is the right way to roll out an HD channel. And if any channel out there is going to do it the right way, that channel will be Discovery!

So let's hope. Also, there have been references on Dirty Yobs and Deadliest Catch about damage to HD cameras.

Does the guide still NOT list the program information for Discovery HD Theatre's normal 9xxx channel ?? I sure would like to know what an episode is about. I do NOT use the HD Mapdown option.

Discovery Networks mentioned a couple of years ago that they plan to film ALL of their shows in HD though it may be a while until the shows are shown in HD. Looks like that time is near.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)