Discovery HDT: Sunrise Earth

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
Portland, Oregon
This has been posted at AVS by a DHDT insider:

"Thanks for the feedback on our "HD in the Making" sneak preview of Sunrise Earth. Perhaps I can help shed some light on the subject? Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Sunrise Earth is not only an original Discovery HD Theater production, but it's a new concept entirely. Each episode in the series will feature one setting, recorded from multiple angles in REAL TIME 1080i -- with a minimum number of edits in order to maximize the viewing experience. No narration, no music, just nature's ambient sounds in dynamic 5.1 stereo surround.

The "narrative" will be set around a singular event, the sunrise. The program is designed to make the audience feel as if they have assumed the role of a naturalist. You will be able to see what happens at the start of the day, in settings all over the United States. From California's National Parks, to the Florida beaches, to a fishing village in upstate Maine. Select scenes in each hour will offer brief insight via non-obtrusive lower thirds, to describe what you're seeing -- could be an animal, an insect, a type of flower, etc.

Sunrise Earth is designed to welcome you to a new day -- whether you're getting ready for work, exercising, or just reading the paper over a cup of coffee. Ultimately, we hope you enjoy watching the landscape unfold, the wildlife awaken and the day begin.

Sunrise Earth will premiere on Monday, September 27 (7am EST, 8am Pacific). The series will run Monday thru Friday. Then on Saturday and Sunday evenings at 7pm EST, select episodes will air. Enjoy a sunrise with dinner, or as a way to wind down after a long day!

Just a few of the episodes:

"Moose in the Morning" Baxter State Park, Maine
"Yellowstone Geysers" Old Faithful, Wyoming
"Gator Hole" Anhiga Pond, Everglade National Park, Florida
"Sea of Terns" Monomoy Nat'l Wildlife Refuge, Chattham, Mass.
"Vermont Balloons" Quechee Gorge, Vermont
"Sequoia Light" Yosemite Valley, California
"Milk Cows in the Morning" Billings Farm, Vermont

Thanks again for the feedback. We hope you enjoy it, and we look forward to hearing what you think of the series itself.

Best Regards,
Discovery HD Theater Programming"

source: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=443001

BTW, I think that this "sunrise concept" was one of the ideas that we sugested to MOOV Labs a couple of months ago. See this thread. Around post #39 the idea starts "cooking". Perhaps we should sue DHDT :D

I'm watching the Yellowstone one right now and it's pretty cool - great to have on in the background in the mornings. Too bad I missed yesterday's - but luckily I'm sick today (!) and am able to catch it!

Walter L. said:
This is when you regret not having a DVR :no.
Aww, come on Walter, don't you want to get up at 4 am to watch this? :p I should hang my screen on the East wall, then I can pretend I'm watching the sun rise. ;)

Sunrise Earth on Discovery HD

What an awesome series! And it's different every weekday morning, for now.
I've seen 3 episodes thus far and the quality is superb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts