disecq switch question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
I've got a 4x1 switch from Sadoun that ties the four dishes I have together. Since I'm in the process of adding a fifth dish I'm wondering how best to tie it in. I've got extra 4x1 and 2x1 switches laying around.Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks Blind

Hmmm .... I may not be the brightest light bulb in this pack, but I have five dishes, one of which is motorized. I used an SW21 switch to put two of the dishes together, and set the receiver to recognize that. I had always figured I could put eight dishes (without motors) together on one DiSqC, and if I needed more, I could use an Ecoda 22KHz to seperate the two DiSqC switches.

But that's just me, and it has worked (so far).

Photto

Some receivers cannot control 8x1 diseqc switches.
If you have one which will, that's great.
See the Hardware Review department here, for discussion on the Digiwave.

Most receivers cannot control old Dish Network SW-21 switches.
If ya have one which will, that's fine - I understand they are quite reliable.

Any receiver should be able to talk to 4x1 diseqc and 22khz switches with factory firmware, so they are the least trouble.
Even if ya have only one receiver, I'd still recommend the most compatible switching array.
You might change out receivers some time in the future, and it would be nice if you didn't also have to make major changes in your switch array, too. :)

I agree with Lak7 and Anole. Even if you have some unused ports, it is a good thing in case you decide to expand. I am in the process of setting up a similar switch array with 2 dishes but 5 LNBs. Don't forget to stick on some 75 ohm terminators on the unused ports of your switches, or at least some caps if they are outside just to keep out dirt and water.

The main contention is that you need to know what switch types your receiver supports before you begin. Some receivers have software upgrades which will allow support of more switch types, but you will want to beware that these software upgrades are legitimate options and not something that is sailed under the Jolly Roger flag. If you do use that type of software for your receiver, don't mention it here.

If your receiver can support an Ecoda 2X1 or a DN SW-21 switch and DiSEqC 4X1 switches as well, then you may connect eight sats with such an array. I have even operated a DiSEqC motor through such a matrix (the motor being aft of the switch matrix). This is not generally recommended (for the motor control), but I found no problems with its operation.

Trial and error experimentation is often required.

If you have a motorized dish, I cannot see the need for any switches, unless you have a multiband LNBF (C/Ku or some variance). In this case, it would be recommended to place the switch aft of the motor (between the motor and the LNBF/s).

RADAR

Thanks to all for the ideas...when I get extra time and money I'll see what works. I think the 22khz switching is supported with my receiver. Thanks Blind

not too sure:

There may be some multiswitches that need terminators on their unused outputs.
But, I have some which don't call for 'em.

However, I don't think it's necessary to put terminators on unused inputs to diseqc or 22khz switches.
In all cases, consult your manual for the final word.

There may be some multiswitches that need terminators on their unused outputs.
But, I have some which don't call for 'em.

However, I don't think it's necessary to put terminators on unused inputs to diseqc or 22khz switches.
In all cases, consult your manual for the final word.

Even if they aren't called for, does this mean it could make noise worse? The only reason I have them on all unused ports is b/c I had to order a big bag of terminators so I have a bunch of extras and I didn't think it would hurt anything by having them on there (half the reason they are on my multiswitch is b/c it is outside so they keep out water). It doesn't seem like having them on there would hurt anything, but I am still pretty new to all of this and have a lot to learn! So, when you say it isn't necessary to put them on unused diseqc/22khz ports do you mean it won't improve anything so they are no better than just a cap/cover or can it actually work against you?

I just recently capped my switches with terminators and didn't see any change one way or the other.

As stated above I put them on to keep water and dirt out of the unused ports.

I can't see where they could hurt anything...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)