Diseq 4x1 in the rain...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

magnigyro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
:mad: Grrrr! Sunday night rain fall on my community....

Pansat 2500 failed to receive channels! Signal : 25% , Q: zero.

Whats happen? Everything worked well before rain... Ohh..nooo!:confused: Now I lost G25, AMC4, G26, AMC3.... I switch off, reset pansat: failure continues.

I put the signal from G10R/G27....the signal was very good. Then the instalation of that diseq must be something wrong.

Someone has happened something like this?

Must I protect the diseqs switchs?

Thanks

is the diseqc siwtch out in the open? If so, you may want to cover it somehow.

I have a bunch of switches in my setup that are under a table where the big dish sits (my C-Band dish sits on a 30" tall table to clear the roof and the switches are mounted underneath it). That keeps them out of the elements and has survived a few Minnesota winters where it can get to -30F :)

If its in the open, try wrapping some plastic around it to keep the direct rain out. I bought a roll of stuff that you use to put on the floor when painting. Its pretty inexpensive and worked great for the switches that were in the open

The Switch may have burnt out it sounds like or water is in your connections. I had that happen to me. If you can test each coax coming from each lnb and it works you may have to replace the switch. When I set up my dish for G10, G27 and Nasa recently, I set up a tv and receiver at the dish and used a patch coax cable (RG-6) to the receiver to get the dish and LNB's setup. Then I finished the install with the switch. Also I found a small coffee can and wire tied it to the dish post and then tucked the switch up into it after wrapping the connections in tape. seems to work so far.

Thanks for your tips... I know now what I must do in future instalations...

I use an old peanut butter jar. Cut a hole in the lid, feed the cables through the hole and the switch is protected from the weather. I leave the hole unsealed for the air can circulate, but mount the jar upside down for the rain does not get in and fills up the jar.

Last edited:
inspired idea

I use an old peanut butter jar.
Cut a hole in the lid, feed the cables through the hole and the switch is protected from the weather.
I leave the hole unsealed for the air can circulate, but mount the jar upside down for the rain does not get in and fills up the jar.
I've been saving these cookie containers, thinking there -must- be some good use for them!
Now I have one - and thank you.
They're 6" tall and 3" in diameter.
I got 'em from the local 99¢ store, so you can guess the price.
Plus, they come with 99¢ worth of tasty cookies (that white stick to the right side of the picture.

Without the label, the plastic jar is clear, so they're not an eyesore.
To stuff up the hole in the lid, use a piece of sponge to keep out the bugs.
I'm thinking a piece of one of those ScotchBrite scrubber pads would do the job, too.
All readily available from the same store. ;)

Attachments

• CookieJar-04-28-08_1933.jpg
    CookieJar-04-28-08_1933.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 191
Don't know about others, I have cursed this stuff but still use it-CoaxSeal, I found it
at the radio shack. At least seal your connectors with that stuff if you don't cover up the switch with a can or bottle or something. I wrapped one in a walmart bag and taped it up, stuck under the mount on a Primestar 84E so it's pretty well protected.
(bet there's a hell of a red wasp in there by now too!)

yeah, coax is cheap, but getting a whole bunch of coax inside the house can be a pain.

Another solution is to use enclosures like the kind used by phone and cable TV companies on the sides of houses to protect their network interfaces. These are generally available online for around $10.

I use a double plastic electrical box with a blank cover. I bring the cables in through the bottom and have sealed the top with silicone. Its survived a Canadian winter without any issues ;)

yeah, coax is cheap, but getting a whole bunch of coax inside the house can be a pain.

Yeah, man, you´re right! I have actually 9 lnb operating: G10R/G27, G25/G26/ AMC4, AMC3 (still alone) and recently AMC5/SBS6 (will note that I am proud of that?:))

I can´t imagine bunch of coax besides local antena, and NASA TV. prefer the can or plastic box solution.

Now, I put a new diseqc switch after drying conectors ( everything was soaked in water). Uff! My 4 birds came back to life!

Now, I think I need more care....

Thanks....

I have to have mine outside ..... WAF only let me drill one hole into the house :(

In my case, WAF ****requires**** that I run my 18 cables into the house because my T90 is going to require 4 4x4 switches and 3 DiSEqC switches, and I have my motorized and am planning to add a single dish for G10R.

I don't see how I could NEATLY pack all that into some sort of enclosure and only bring 4 to 6 cables into the house.

I have 20 lines coming into the house, I use 2" electrical conduit so that its easier to add more or swap lines if I have to for some reason.

my wife only lets me have one hole in the house as well, so I made it a bigger hole.

... my T90 is going to require 4 4x4 switches and 3 DiSEqC switches, and ...
I don't see how I could NEATLY pack all that into some sort of enclosure and only bring 4 to 6 cables into the house.
Glen - give a look at those big plastic electrical boxes.
It'd be neat, easy to work on, and it'd cut down on the cables.
I would really look around and see what I could find.

Alternately, you could mount 'em all on a board backing about a foot wide and a little taller.
Possibly even use both sides. Perhaps mount it on its own short post?
Then, turn a plastic office waste basket upside down over the top.
There are lots of creative ways to slay this dragon. ;)

The weatherproof plastic boxes come in may sizes. A 12" X 12" X 6" is a standard size. The locally available ones do not have knockouts for conduit, but are easy to drill. If you mount a backing plate inside silicone glue and 3/4 inch board you do not put too many holes to the outside.
POP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)