DiSEqC-Box (vbox7) problem with constant dish motion using buttons

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 25, 2007
The vbox7 was purchased new September 9, 2013 and worked ok with light duty 24 inch actuator (1 5/8 diameter) until a wind gust broke the actuator.

Replaced it with my original 2 inch diameter 24 inch Thomson Saginaw Ball Actuator (
which had been stored in barn for the last 22 years) and it worked well for a couple of weeks.

When the problem was first noticed, pressing the buttons on vbox to move the dish would result in the actuator stopping movement (and counting) before buttons were released. The dish would move after the buttons were released and pressed again. Sometime the dish would move 50 or more counts and other times only 1,2,5, or 10 counts. Removed and cleaned motor, brushes, and oiled ball shaft in linear tube, but no change in operation. The actuator will run end to end on 5 volts dc and pulls a constant 1/2 amp or so from a dc power supply, so the actuator performance looks good. Put it back on dish and have same problem driving it with the vbox buttons.

Any suggestions and assistance appreciated as I have exhausted all my ideas!

sensor. Check the spacing of the sensor/magnet wheel. May need 'tightening up'. Replace sensor.

Unfortunately, It is normal operation, and the PowerMax VBox X does the same thing. But use the remote E & W buttons and its fine. It has to do with the speed of the counts. My empty AJAK would do that but put a load on it (slow it down)and it would be good. But the remote doesn't have that issue

Last edited:
sensor. Check the spacing of the sensor/magnet wheel. May need 'tightening up'. Replace sensor.

Hi again FaT Air. The vbox does not give an error like it is missing any pulses, but how would this show up? It seems to be very accurate returning to a position, just takes several attempts to move the dish to a desired position. I have not tried to move to a pre-selected position, although that would probably only eliminate the push buttons.

Unfortunately, It is normal operation, and the PowerMax VBox X does the same thing. But use the remote E & W buttons and its fine. It has to do with the speed of the counts. My empty AJAK would do that but put a load on it (slow it down)and it would be good. But the remote doesn't have that issue

Hi Magic Static. I tried the E & W buttons, but it does exactly the same thing as the pushbuttons on top. More than anything, it acts like it is tripping a current limit and resets when you turn loose of the button. That was why I ran the actuator on the bench to check the no load current consumption, which seemed reasonable. This was supposed to be the first of the HEAVY DUTY units, although if it is no more HEAVY DUTY than the first actuator, then marketing speak wins again! When I look inside the unit, there are a couple of relays which must actually provide current for the motor from an unregulated power supply inside the unit.

Broken Actuator 1.5 in DSC_5193.jpg

Interesting. I found it quite annoying that I couldn't run the actuator consistently with the buttons on top, like you. But the remote control never failed me. And both VBoxs did the same thing. I thought it was just cheap stuff. I replaced the sensor but still the same thing. I'm using a VBox X now with a 20 count per degree sensor. It won't run with the buttons on top, but will with the remote. It doesn't miss any counts and works perfectly with DiSEqC 1.2.
I had a buddy that had a VBox 7 go bad on him a few days ago and I found it to be a fast blow 2a fuse inside.

Thanks Magic Static. That would be nice. I tried again with the remote, but still same problem. I have an old Houston Tracker (Echosphere) Model 70 receiver that has never been used as I bought it new just before I moved from California and it has been packed away ever since. Somewhere the remote control is packed away in another box!!!!!! If all else fails, that is my fallback position. I sure would like to make a vbox work and they must for so many people to be using them. The reason I am using the buttons so much is that I have been recording all satellite positions so I can set up the DiSeqC 1.2 interface to my AZBox and X2 Premium HD.

Actuator 2013-11-03 at 6.08.23 PM.png

I didn't even use the buttons on top of the unit when I set my V-Box 7 up, matter of fact, have never used them. I moved my dish to the first sat. position that I wanted and then set DiseqC 1.2 settings in my X2 and it automatically set the position in the V-Box. After that I used the remote buttons to move it and have never had any problems with it. Curious, I'll have to check those top buttons on mine and see if they work correctly or not.

I didn't even use the buttons on top of the unit when I set my V-Box 7 up, matter of fact, have never used them. I moved my dish to the first sat. position that I wanted and then set DiseqC 1.2 settings in my X2 and it automatically set the position in the V-Box. After that I used the remote buttons to move it and have never had any problems with it. Curious, I'll have to check those top buttons on mine and see if they work correctly or not.
Hi A Raine. Now that would be a treat to find out that it is only a problem with using the buttons. I guess I need to change my signature as I also use the X2 Premium HD, too. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get a stable configuration and actuator count up to now. Maybe the box will turn out to be ok and I can get on with getting everything programmed here. Another part of the problem has been trying to use the DMS BSC621-2D lnbf. Ku works sometimes, but not particularly reliable. I do have a 1 meter dish and adding a PLL322S-2 like you have may be the answer and leave the 12 footer to c-band only. That will require two runs to the 1 meter dish which is about 150 feet from the C-band dish as the C/Ku band diseqc switch will have to be located at the 1 meter dish instead of in the house so the Ku motor current does not go through the switch. The diseqc switch is located after the vbox 7 so it should not be entering into the problem I am having now.

Thanks for the good information and I should be able to try that tomorrow!

Thanks A Raine. Looks like that has solved my problem. After I stored the first position P01 in the vbox7, everything else went back to working like it should. I have no idea why, but it now seems to work properly and will go to the preset positions. The buttons now move the dish properly as do the East & West buttons on the remote control. I had not stored antenna positions in the vbox because I was looking for a way to put the same positions in both the X2 premium HD and the Azbox Premium HD+ so that the system would work with either/both connected.

Thanks A Raine. Looks like that has solved my problem. After I stored the first position P01 in the vbox7, everything else went back to working like it should. I have no idea why, but it now seems to work properly and will go to the preset positions. The buttons now move the dish properly as do the East & West buttons on the remote control. I had not stored antenna positions in the vbox because I was looking for a way to put the same positions in both the X2 premium HD and the Azbox Premium HD+ so that the system would work with either/both connected.

You're welcome, good to hear it's working! I did try the top buttons on mine and they seem to work correctly.

To get the system working with both receivers maybe you could slave the Azbox to the X2, or vice versa? This is something I haven't tried yet myself but want to try soon. I want one receiver in our living room and one in our bedroom, working off of the same V-Box and dish. Not quite exactly sure how to do it yet, have to read up on it some more.

Maybe something you could look into if both your receivers support it. The X2 does but I don't know if the Azbox does, I don't have one of those.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts