Diseqc/ecoda power output

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr.Arizona

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
33N 112W
Tried to find the answer using 'search' but gave up after 12 or 15 pages of results...

Question:
On a 4x1 DiseqC switch, are all ports powered or just the one I am switching to?
Same question for an 22khz-switch (ecoda)

I am planing to add more dishes/lnb's to my setup, but my concern is that it could overload the power supply of my STB, in case all ports are powered...

Thanks,
Mr. Arizona

The switch , switches , therefore it only has power on 1 output at a time.

The 22 khz ecoda uses a 22 khz tone , therefore no extra power requiered, I beleive.

I do not think you will overload the STB because the big switches like SW44 (4x4) use a power adaptor to releive the power load on the STB, also on this one , I could be wrong though.

Probably if you detail your future set up someone will help you further.

No , only 1 port otherwise you will have conflicting signals at the output. the ecoda it is also a switch but uses a 22 khz tone as the control signal.

I've never had issues with power to my switch setups and I've had some oddball ones...the only issue I've seen is a longer cable run and multiple switches can make the signal go down big time.

My EMP 8x1 goto switch always has a minimum of 4V on each input at all times.

The only way to know if all/what ports have power going to them is to check with a volt meter.

ACRadio, I strongly beleive that the 22 kHz will actually switch from the OFF port to the ON port when detecting the 22 kHz continuous tone (DiseqC also uses 22 khz tones but they are not continuous but rather like a burst). As a matter of fact they also differ in the speed of switching some faster than others , like any other switch. That is why you should not put the 22 khz switch before the DiseqC switch and this is the scenario:

As soon as the 22 Khz switch detects the DiseqC burst tone (also 22 khz) it will switch from one port to the other therefore the DiseqC switch will only receive half or part of the DiseqC commands and the remaining commands will go to the other port instead. Therefore confirming than the 13/18 V and any other signals only goes through one port at a time. Now both ports on the 22 khz switch are POWER PASSTHROUGH meaning that both ports will allow DC voltage to go through BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT BOTH WILL HAVE POWER AT THE SAME TIME.

I have never tested it with a meter my self , maybe you have therefore your practical experience supersedes my theory. I am just relaying on how it works in theory. Maybe depending on the manufacturer some switches indeed always power all ports then only switches the RF signal accordingly. Any how I do not think it is a big deal as in most applications you dont see people having issues with low power levels at LNB's unless the cable runs are extremely long. Like I said before in those cases where big switches are used , most of the time they are powered independently to avoid this issue.

Maybe someone else can further clarify all this.

It's been hashed over so many times I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot dish...(right Anole??:D)...but my statement was only referring to DC power...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts