diseqc switch 1.1 and motor setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glover31

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Friendship New York
I have a 36" fixed dish and a separate 1.2 basically 4 foot motorized dish. I bought a 1.1 diseqc 8 port switch with intentions of using both the fixed dish "aimed at galaxy 19", and the motorized dish for all other sat's. My problem is that the switch is not switching. MY receiver is an openbox s9 hd. It can do usuals, diseqc 1.0 or 1.1. Did I get the wrong type of switch or should this work?

What preset do you have set in your receiver for the the switch? If using an 8x1 switch you need to use the last 1-16 numbers in the receiver under 1.1 but just use the first 8 of those 16 obviously. ;)

Btw just saw you were new here.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!

hookup

- which 8x1?
- how are you wired?
- what kind of motor?
- any other switches or wiring?
- what sort of lnbfs?
- any special reason you didn't use a 4x1 diseqc or a 22kHz switch?

Hello all. Yes I'm the new guy. To answer ke4est, My openbox s9 hd is set for usuals for motor but for fixed sat diseqc 1.1 and motor on off. I have the fixed sat on port 2 and the motorized dish on port 1.
I am trying to use the first ports 1-4. So 1 cascade m1 port 1 is motorized dish. 1 cascade m1 port 2 is the fixed dish. Why do I have to use the the last 1-16 ports?

Photo059.jpgPhoto060.jpgPhoto062.jpgPhoto061.jpgPhoto063.jpgPhoto058.jpg
Anole: the 1.1 diseqc switch is a Lelran 950 - 2300. One wire from the house up the hill about 90 + feet. So from the receiver to the switch, then ports 1 to the motorized dish and port 2 to the fixed dish. The motor is a powertech DG-380. Its the only one that I could find that was rated to handle the weight of the 1.2 m dish. There are no other switches or wiring. The lnbf for the fixed dish is a ku lnbf by GEOSATpro SL1PLL Standard linear LO:10750 input 11.7- 12.2 GHZ Gain 60db Stability +/- 0.3 MHZ NR:0.5db. The standard linear ku lnbf for the 1.2 meter dish I can't tell you because the sticker came off. Its a freebie that came with the dish but it works. The reason I bought an 8x1 was for possible future add ons. As far as 22khz switch goes, what is the difference? Is there any?
The purpose of the current set-up is to be able to have the openbox s9 hd receiver use both the motorized dish and the fixed. The other rooms on separate receivers and just the fixed dish. But I have to run another wire from the house and have another switch I think. The only other receiver I have is a Manhattan receiver I bought from sky vision. But its as about as good as a paper weight.

You are probably pulling too much current through that switch. I would always go to the motor first then to the switch, then on to the LNBF's.

Are you talking about a voltage drop? Is that why you say to much current? I tested about 18 volts but this is without a load. How would I go about wiring after the motor. It has 1 input and 1 output. I also changed the ports on receiver settings but it did not do anything.

The amps(current) that the motor pulls can and will burn up most switches. Go from the receiver to the in port on the motor. Then go from the out port or one marked LNBF to the out port on the switch, then go to your LNBFs. :) That way there will be no motor current draw added with the LNBF current draw going through the switch. All the switch now will see is the LNBFs.

OK I will try this. But now I am concerned. With the set-up your talking about how am I going to use more receivers in my house? I wanted the open-box s9 HD to use everything motor and fixed dish and two other receivers to use just the fixed dish.

Well, in that case, you really should read and understand the whole Switches Simplified FAQ.
?Then we can answer relevant questions. ;)

Ok. Read the sticky thread a couple times and looked at the photos. Not helping. I rewired as suggested. Still have the same problem. I decided to use a seperate switch because this made me believe maybe something was wrong with it. I had a 2 port switch just above it not being used that used to go to both my dish 500's when we had dish network about 7 years ago. I know that this switch is good. But to my surprise same problem. Still makes no difference. Only one dish will be recognized and with both switches port one is seen first. If I unplug port one then the other is seen. Does not make any sense to me. I even tried using a different receiver " Manhattan". No change. HelpPhoto065.jpgPhoto064.jpg
By the way my lnbf on both dishes are single port. Not a 2 port deal

Last edited:
You can't use those particular Dish Network DP switches with FTA, they won't work. You need Diseqc switches, or 22k switches...

Well, maybe you can if you have pirate software on your receiver, otherwise NOT.

Don't hook and unhook switches with a coax that's running power through it either. It'll fry your switches. You might get away with it now and again, but it can get expensive and make for wacky stuff happening

Last edited:
Yep those DISH DP switches will not work with your receiver. If you had an old legacy Dish Network switch you could. Like was said you need DiSEqC switches. Perhaps you burnt the switch or a couple of its ports. Try using different ports on your 8x1 switch. You don't have to use 1 and 2 any two will work.

Maybe I was not clear. My apologies if not. Any port on both switches will work as long as I am using only one port. The 8x1 multi port switch works on any port as long as I am using just one. Same goes for the dish n switch. I keep expecting the switch to change ports when changing the channel and its not happening. But I did rewire as suggested. Same results.
You are saying I think that I cannot rule out a bad switch because the dish N switch I posted will not work for fta. But it does work using only one port. Either port 1 or 2. NO I don't have a pirate anything. I have to answer to God for everything I do one day. But I can see from reading the sticky thread that there are basically two types of switches. Must be I have the other. Should I order a new switch? And if so any recommendations?

You can't use a DP Dish Network switch, PERIOD.

Take it out of the wiring, and don't use it. Even for one port. What good is it for one port? The point is your receiver can NOT control the ports on that switch, AND it's bandstacked.

My comment about pirate software has nothing to do with any possibility you are trying anything like that. The fact is that some pirate software works GREAT with true FTA, and some people use it. That fact alone does not make them pirates or thieves, and I wasn't calling you one.

Since you have tried to switch with both receivers, it is starting to look like a bad switch for sure. DIGIWAVE and AMIKO both make an excellent 8x1 switch. I have never had a problem with either. You can find either by searching on Fleabay.

I will give it a go and purchase one of those. Sucks, this thing was brand new and came all the way from Israel. Should I test? And if so how? Is it worth the trouble?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)