DiSEqC Switch Connection

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

al_madhi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 6, 2005
Riyadh - Saudi Arabia
Hi , guys what is the correct way to connect the DiSEqc Switch #1 or # 2 shown in the attached file ?

Best Regards

Attachments

• DiSEqC Up or Down-2.bmp
    977 KB · Views: 784
as long as the dishes/LNB's get hooked into the port 1,2,3,4 and the receiver is hooked to the "out to receiver" that's all that counts :)

Keep in mind before you connect your DiSEqC switch, turn your receiver OFF. If your receiver does not have an On/Off button (not the Standby button), then unplug your receiver from power.

I've also heard that closer to the receiver is better, but that may be because of a cheap switch or poor cable.

As long as you got every cable where it's supposed to go then no problem. Put it out closer to the dishes because then you will have less cable to run.

If you have a motorized dish, you will want your switch to be between the LNBF and the motor:

Reciever -> Motor -> DiSEqC Switch -> LNBF

This is because the current operating the motor can burn up the switch prematurely if its between the motor and the receiver.

Unfortunately, this usually means installing the switch on or near the dish(es), and in the weather (unless you use a drop box of some sort).

Tron
I used a switch between the recever and motor for almost 2 years with no issues. I had a LOS issue so I set it up as

receiver-------------switch port 1--------------motor-----------lnb
-----------------------switch port 2--------------------------------second dish/lnb

burn up the switch prematurely...???

Tron said:
If you have a motorized dish, you will want your switch to be between the LNBF and the motor:

Reciever -> Motor -> DiSEqC Switch -> LNBF

This is because the current operating the motor can burn up the switch prematurely if its between the motor and the receiver.

Unfortunately, this usually means installing the switch on or near the dish(es), and in the weather (unless you use a drop box of some sort).
Thanks Tron, great info, I did not know this and wouldn't have thought of it. The only logical reason I had come up with to do a switch this way, was to save on wire, length as well as cost. Never knew it could possibly burn a switch up. I'll just have to chance it, cause I'm using 3 dishes and all 4 ports (2 switches), running 2 DVB boxes and my dishes are not located together or even close, but in opposite directions. With the receivers, more or less in a central location. Besides the old C/ku BUD wiring had been in place for decades. Don't think I'm ready to rewire, just to prevent a possible burnt up switch. Although I've just ordered a 1.2 meter motorized dish from Sadoun for upgrading an 80cm dish, as well as a Coolsat 5000 as an extra receiver (can't ever have enough) from a non-sponser merchant. I'll start looking into alternative wiring solutions and see if I'm willing to make any changes. It'll probably come down to where I choose to place the new dish. And how much extra work (I'm lazy) will be involved.

Al

Edit: It took me so long to write this I didn't see Tony's post . That's how I have mine wired. My 2 fingers are getting tired!!!!!

Last edited:
Iceberg said:
Tron
I used a switch between the recever and motor for almost 2 years with no issues. I had a LOS issue so I set it up as

receiver-------------switch port 1--------------motor-----------lnb
-----------------------switch port 2--------------------------------second dish/lnb

Exactly, a receiver kicks out 13 or 17v Does not matter where you put the switch (Best between Motor and LNB for proper control) as long as you remember to power down before connecting or disconnecting it!

the only drawback of my setup above is if I was if lets say the motorized was on G3 and I was on the fixed dish (G10) it was fine. But if I went to a channel on say AMC3, the motor wouldn't move until I went to another channel. That was the only drawback.

It can be done either way. A direct connection between the motor and the receiver is usually advised by most documentation I've read, but I would assume that switch quality (in terms of workmanship) is also a factor. As Pete said, always disconnect power completely before changing up any of your coax connections. Not doing that will almost assure you of a fried switch.

As Pete said, always disconnect power completely before changing up any of your coax connections. Not doing that will almost assure you of a fried switch
been there done that :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)