DiSEqC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
I am a little confused on this DiSEqC thing. I have one hooked to my Motorola 922 and Satwork 3618. Ku is on #1 and C is on #2. I understand what it's suppose to do, but I am under the assumption that when I make a Ku scan, I set it on #1, when I make a C scan set in on #2. What I have noticed that I can scan Ku or C with it on the appropriate number, then rescan with it "not used" and I pick up more signals than I did with it on. My question is, what does this thing do and should I use or not? :confused:

You're using it the wrong way :)

A Diseqc allows you to have 2 dishes to one receiver (KU and DBS).
If you can slave the digital receiver to your C-Band, that would be the easiest

Otherwise, you could split the line with a high frequency splitter and run it to the C-band and the Satwork :)

Jim I got a Satwork 3618 coming from Ebay soon. I might need some guidance :D

Tony,

This is what they have me doing as per hook up instructions from Satwork.

The C and Ku Band come in from the dish, I have a splitter on each line, the C line is split with one line going to the 922 and the other going into the DiSEqC, the Ku line is hooked up the same way, then the the line from the DiSEqc goes into the Satworks.

I works fine, but I am just curious as to what it's function is. The only thing I can see is that the 922 has seperate inputs for the C and the Ku and the Satwork only has one input for both. I see it as a way to get both bands in to one input. When you scan with the Satwork you have to put in the LNB frequency for Ku or C into the menu, I figure if you don't use the DiSEqC the 3618 will pick up the signal for the frequency I have entered. Basically all I am trying to find out is do I need to use it when I am scanning.

If there are 2 separate line (for C and KU), then you would need it.

All a Diseqc does is an automatic A/B switch. I have a 4x1 switch with
port 1 as mototrized
port 2 as EVu 91
port 3 as Dish 119
port 4 is going to be a fixed dish at 123

Diamond Jim said:
This is what they have me doing as per hook up instructions from Satwork.
That's how I figured you were hooking it up (properly). I think if it was turned around, you wouldn't get any signal quality value, or if so, it would only show up on one receiver.

DiSEqC works by the receiver modulating a data pattern, 1's and 0's in the form of differently sized and spaced chops of a 22kHz tone, which altogether forms a DiSEqC command. Your switch notices the command to switch to a certain port number, and 'routes' the signal from the corresponding LNB onto its output port which is connected to your receiver. I believe the tone stops after the command is issued. But I can't explain why your signal quality level increases when you disable DiSEqC... if the tone for some reason isn't stopping, maybe it could be causing interference, although this stuff is all designed to handle the 22kHz carrier tone.

Tux,

It's not the signal quality that changes, sometimes if I disable it I can pick up more signals than I do using it. Like I said, I am satisfied, just would like to know how and why some of this stuff works.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts