Disgruntled DirecTV customer.

We switched from Dish 9 mos ago and we have been very happy. Now that the 1.9 has rolled out it is even better. We had Dish for a very long time and it served us well but we are getting more of everything for less and the PQ is terrific so we are definitely happy.

We are very happy that we switched too. We had DTV for 6 years, switched to Dish for another 6, yet find FIOS has the best picture of all of them. And the price difference is ridiculous. Wonder why we waited so long, between the DVR, On Demand and quality we don't miss the Sat DVRs at all.

Agree with all of you. I had Comcastfor years then Dish for two. I switceh to FIOS almost two tyears ago and never looked back. I did not have a big problem with Dish but as Super Dave said the picture quality and price for the triple bundle is unbeatable. With the new changes in 1.9 the Dvr wiull have plenty of room for the family.

The price is what made us switch initially, our Dish bill went from $95 a few years back to $136 this year without any changes. We got the Triple Play Ultimate package for $133 (including taxes) for 12 months and then $20/mo. more for the next 12. So I get all 3 services for less than I was paying for TV. All Dish could do is drop the price $10/mo. for 12 months. They started sending cards "We want you back" and offer less than what we had, and the card says includes a free SD DVR upgrade. I was informed that once we were on the Eastern Arc it was all HD or all SD, no mixing. Something isn't right, but still they offered us way less than what we had. When I canceled we still had Cinemax for a penny a year, and a free year of Starz. They offer a free month of Cinemax , no Starz and free Platinum for a year.

We now save on our Comcast HSI and Vonage phone service bill, $87/month, since we don't need them anymore. If Verizon can do this and still show a profit what is up with the rest of the providers? I already know Comcast is beyond greedy, but the Satellite providers were supposed to be a less expensive alternative, and they don't have the ground based cabling to maintain.

I'm not totally disagreeing with you, but I can say depending on what you are getting for the $133 for me I have as good a plan as you do, keeping Dish. Just doing it in a different way. (I never compare using promotions, they change and a new subscriber to Dish can get similar)

My bill with dish is just about what you were paying, $136. Three receivers, Top250, HBO & Showtime, Superstations, EuroNews, Platiunum Pack. (I also have distants but not paid to or through Dish)
I have VoicePulse for phone service, $15 a month, unlimited calling for the whole state, and 250 minutes long distance. They have more features and are rated higher than most any other VIOP service. Had them for years now.
And for Internet I have AT&T, $19 a month. It would be a little higher but get a break because I have AT&T Cell. But the price is not a promotion it is the everyday price if you have the Cell.

Total about $169. Your total about $153 after the promotion. You don't say what you are getting for the $133, but I get some programming (see above) that is important to me that cable usually does not have.
Obviously, sports is a problem with Dish, and up till now has had more disputes over channels, so as I said, I don't totally disagree that Fios is giving a decent deal. But in my case, I believe I am paying very close (again depending on what you are getting) especially if you take away Superstations and EuroNews.
In my case I would also not get the distants with any other provider, but I understand not everyone wants them or would qualify.

I have to add one other factor. Having the CSR reps here has been nothing short of phenomenal. Having support that really understand the product and understands what you are trying to do alone is enough to make me think twice about switching.

Last edited:
With Dish I had a 622 and 2 722s, The 250, Platinum and Showtime. With FIOS we have a Whole Home DVR, 3 other STBs, The Ultimate which includes Showtime, TMC and EPIX, and the greatest plus of all Comcast Sportsnet, MLB HD, and NFL Redzone. Internet 35/35 and Unlimited Phone with plenty of features. So the trade off was not having a DVR on all the sets, but the On Demand listings offset that. Also we now have the local sports, the local weather and our town's local cable access. What I didn't mention is that Verizon screwed up an order I placed to their accessory store, a $6 remote, twice, so their Customer Service response is to credit me $15/mo. for 12 months, almost offsetting next years $20 increase. It isn't a normal promotional discount so I left it off what would normally happen to the bill.

i also noticed on the ultimate package that i also get more of our local channels in HD as well as some really good subchannels AND "spanglish" channels that D* was only offering thru the latin packages. not to mention G4 (which is really important during conventions: e3, ces, comic-con)

i got the pleading with DirecTV and really dumb offers to the point where i just told the operator "how about offering to pay the remainder of my balance if there is one after i cancel? if there's nothing like that, i dont want to hear another word." took me 5 minutes of repeating that to finally get the CSR to stop. all she could say was "im just trying to educate you sir". that made me even more upset.

Yes we get some of the sub channels that we did not get before also. Bottom line for us is that we are getting more of everything for less money. I do NOT have a contract. I am getting the multi media dvr for free until July and after that I will still be paying less for more with the bundle. Not to mention when we replace our storage shed we will not be without tv until we get the dishes back up :) hmmm we can actually get rid of them! thats a plus.

We are really surprised at how much we like FIOS. It was hard to leave Dish and the DVRs, but we are enjoying FIOS more, and liking it more and more every day. The On Demand feature is awesome, the picture is actually clearer, and now I can watch The Phillies and Flyers, in HD even.

It has been over a month now, and Dish did leave a sour taste with the ship back charges and the fact we still haven't received any of our money back from when we canceled. Guess they don't ever want to be considered in the future, should we look for change.

i dumped them in early december because i got tired waiting for new hd. i don't love my cable company. but they have been adding hd like crazy so i'm not complaining.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts