Dish 1000.2 - need arm braces - recommendations

united954

Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
North CA and Vegas
I have one dish install at one house and want to put a dish up at my other in vegas. I got a 1000.2 in a box but guy who came out to install it told me i would probably need braces to secure it, current mount wouldnt do it alone because it was going on the eve of 2 story house (neighbour has one) and wind could whip it around. He didnt have any at the time so he went. However after 6 months putting it off i go to call him and hes out of business. So can anyone recommend what braces i need - pic attached of what i am after (on the wrong dish).

URL good place to pick one up be great or reference to what i need.

And any good recommendations for someone to climb 2 stories up a ladder and install it :) One story was enough for me on my other place.

Attachments

• dishbrace.JPG
    dishbrace.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 252
I have one dish install at one house and want to put a dish up at my other in vegas. I got a 1000.2 in a box but guy who came out to install it told me i would probably need braces to secure it, current mount wouldnt do it alone because it was going on the eve of 2 story house (neighbour has one) and wind could whip it around. He didnt have any at the time so he went. However after 6 months putting it off i go to call him and hes out of business. So can anyone recommend what braces i need - pic attached of what i am after (on the wrong dish).

URL good place to pick one up be great or reference to what i need.

And any good recommendations for someone to climb 2 stories up a ladder and install it :) One story was enough for me on my other place.

The "struts" will indeed fit the mast. However I am wondering why you believe you need them.
With the 1000.2 masts are not required nor needed provided the mast foot is securely mounted with 6 bolts into solid material. Wood ,brick or (not recommended) cement fiber board(Hardyboard)
Now, what do you mean by "eave"?..is it on the facia of the roof? The facia is the part which is perpendicular to the roof. Pictrue the edge of the roof where it overhangs the exterior of the outside wall of the house. The proper term for the overhang is the "soffit". MOst folks call this the "eave".. Not an improper term. Soffit is more accurate....
Some examples of construction terms
Soffit - The underside of the roof overhang or porch ceiling that covers the rafter bottoms. This horizontal surface usually has vents to allow air into the attic.
Eaves - The projecting overhang at the lower edge of a roof.

Warning. Unless the construction of your home has at least 2x8 roof rafters, the mast foot cannot be properly secured to the facia. The outermost rafter that makes up the last rafter is known as the facia board. All 4 corners of the mast foot have lag bolts thru them and into wood.
If the tech mounted the dish in such a manner that it is not secure, it is NOT to Dish specs. It is my recomendation that you call dish and request a service visit due to improper mounting of the Dish.

Bottom line...For an install to be complete, the job MUST be to Dish Network specifications.

I'm curious about this? As far as I can tell, a .2 and .4 are the same dish, yet the .4 manual calls for the use of struts. Or is the .4 larger?

Miner
the .4 is a little bit larger and has a taller mast and the lnb arm is longer so there is in affect more weight on the mount I would think.

I'm curious about this? As far as I can tell, a .2 and .4 are the same dish, yet the .4 manual calls for the use of struts. Or is the .4 larger?

Miner
The 1k.4 is larger and of a heavier guage material. PLus the polar plate and AZ/ EL assembly is heavy guage material.
The point 4 weighs at least twice that of the point 2

Go ahead and get the struts if you can. .4 and .2 , as well as 500's have same mast size. Don't listen to the crazy talk about not needing them. Those guys live where there isn't wind. You might want to make sure there are four bolts on they skew plate as well. They are regulation, but are rarely used around here. It might take 30 seconds and these brilliant tech's. cant waste their time on that!

Go ahead and get the struts if you can. .4 and .2 , as well as 500's have same mast size. Don't listen to the crazy talk about not needing them. Those guys live where there isn't wind. You might want to make sure there are four bolts on they skew plate as well. They are regulation, but are rarely used around here. It might take 30 seconds and these brilliant tech's. cant waste their time on that!

So thats what the extra bolts are for, I thought it was just extra in case you loose a few...lol, Joking.
I don't know too many people that use the extra ones on the polar plate. I only use them when I do an install close to the shop or when I think I'm gonna get QA'd. ( I hate myself)

Bull crap..There isn't any wind here

There most certainly is wind here.
It is not crazy talk to explain what is an is not required.
The 1000.4 has 4 bolts in the skew plate.
The extra bolts are not needed if the mast is mounted securely.
But one is certainly welcome to use them.
If the dish in the OP's case was mounted properly, this thread would not exist.

Look Mr.Knowitall the 1000.2 never required struts. It is only a bit larger than a Dish500, and not much heavier.

The 1000.4 is a much larger and more important, a much heavier dish than the Dish500. Thus the 1000.4 required struts.

Although the 500, 1000.2 and 1000.4 all use a 1 5/8" mast, so the struts for the 1000.4 could be used on any of them. The only reason to use struts on a 1000.2 is a poor mount, or maybe the need to have a very extended mast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)