DIsh 1000 Alignment in Huntsville, AL

bamafamily

Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
ok...be forewarned that I am a newbie here and have read just enough to be dangerous...

I have a Dish 1000 and am getting spurious dropouts on 119 and my 129 is reading down in the 40's...Check Switch shows it as N.C. half the time..(the other half Dual)
I have a couple of questions concerning re-aligning my Dish...I found the following settings in the Dish Pointing Angles for my zip code (35806):

AZ/EL/SKEW
229/36/127

At the Dish Pointer Website, I found the following for 119 for my address

AZ(T)/EL/SKEW
227.9/37/37.5

Why is the skew so far off between the two?? (I realize it is ~90*, but does that make a difference?? From behind the Dish, which way is 37.5* versus 127*.)

Based on info I have read, I need to align to 119 and the other 2 should fall in place....(maybe a degree to the left or a possible 1-2 degree move in EL)

Anything I am missing?? Is there a Noob guide for aligning 1000's that someone could point me to??

Also, I read where the 22.5* offset is built into the pointing angles...Just so I know that vegetation is clear, which direction is that 22.5*?? (AZ-Left, Right or EL)?

TIA
Mark in Bama

Skew is off by 90 degrees because of the way the compass readings are set up on the back of the dish. One goes from the horizonal plane, the other from the vertical.

To see approximately where the dish is "looking", look from the bottom of the dish to the lnb from behind.

ok...I ran a few tests and here is what I came up with....
Here is my info Screen..( a few times both 110 and 129 showed as "Red X's"
IMG_5042_DCE.jpg

Here is my Check Switch from yesterday
IMG_5048_DCE.jpg

IMG_5050_DCE.jpg

and now my check switch from this morning where I got my 129 back

IMG_5052_DCE.jpg

IMG_5053_DCE.jpg

I ran all my signal strengths and came up with this table

Dish_Levels_DCE.jpg

I went out and checked all my connections and tightened up a few....but that did not fix my dropouts...

I took a compass out, and got under the Dish and aligned along the supporting beam that the LNB's sit on...I took the readings and the best I could get was that it was pointing at about 190*.... The Mast is plumb, the Dish is secure and the elevation shows about 43*(according to the reading on the mast)

According to Dish Pointer, I should be pointing at (119) 227.9* with an EL of 37*.

The questions are:
Is the Offset built into DishPointers settings?? i.e. Am I pointing at 190* so I can have 37.9* of Offset?? Or do I really need to be pointing at 227.9*???

I think the offset is where I am getting confused...Seems the installer (18 months ago) used Azimuth and Elevation for the Offset

thanks again for all the help....

Mark in Bama

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts