Dish 119 SD channels showing in Letterbox format

Ehret101

Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Mesa, Az
OK, this isonly weird because Dish Network communicates so poorly with technicians.
For a little over 3 weeks now standard definition channels from the 119 satellitehave been showing in a letterbox format. This is on all receiver types311,322,625also TV2 on 922,722,222.
I have just had a customer chew me out because their SD TV and SD 625 hasworked fine until now and they shouldn't have to buy new equipment to get thepicture to fit the screen.
I have talked to 2 DNS trainers and 2 DNS GM's and not one of them even knewthe change had occurred.
Has anyone other than my 20 techs and my 3 children notice this issue? If sohas anyone received any information on why it was done?

Before someone says press the format button SD receivers don't have a formatoption. TV2 on my 922 and 722 will change format on a HD channel but when yougo to the same channel in SD it won't do anything.

Ehret101
I saw your post, and have started to see more on this. I am not certain at this time why this is happening, and also witnessed this with my 922 at home last night. I'll check this out for you and find out what is the culprit, the best I can. To rule out some geographic issue, what zip code are you in? That way I can better isolate the issue.

I will get an answer back to you ASAP.

Thanks,

We work in Southern California and Arzona. My home Mesa Az 85210, Parents home San Bernardino Ca 92407, Cust in San Diego today 91950, Palm Springs area 92240. Just to mention a few.

I ran this by Tech Ops and here is a summary of their reply.

On HD receivers customers are advised to use the format key on the dish remote to correct the issue.
On SD receivers, the aspect ratio may need to be changed from the TV itself.

If everything is showing in letterbox, then use the format (HD TVs) or correct the TV's aspect ratio.
If the commercial is showing full screen and the program is showing in letterbox, it is the way the program is being broadcast.

This was response from the CTOC regarding broadcasts appearing int letterbox format. The format key did work on my TV at home, too.

This will at least explain what is happening. We will see this more and more as OTA digital is converting to all letterbox format.

I was just always under the impression that more and more networks are transmitting letterbox on their SD feeds, and that Dish had nothing to do with it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)