Bye-bye Dish Network

zippy the pinhead

Original poster
Jul 24, 2004
After subscribing to Dish for nearly ten years, we cancelled our subscription and shipped our DVR/receiver back to them. They should be getting the final check (to cover the shipping) today or tomorrow.

We replaced our Dish subscription with a Roku box and we have not missed it. The kids are watching cartoons streamed from Netflix-- Fat Albert, surprisingly, and other stuff-- and I really like it. In addition, they are not seeing all the commercials they used to see when watching stuff on Dish, and they have stopped asking us to buy stuff they see in commercials.

That's the one thing I could never get past with Dish... paying $80/month for TV loaded with commercials.

If any of you have been thinking you're paying too much for TV, I would invite you to join us and the thousands of other folks who are abandoning Dish and DirecTV every month.

BTW I should add that the money we saved by cancelling Dish is now going to our cell phone carrier, as we (my wife and myself) just upgraded to smart phones, so we gotta have that data plan.

Congrats on cutting the cable! It is something a lot of think about doing but can't do.

(Just to note the commercials are not put in by DISH but by the stations themselves)

I think over the next year you will see DISH start morphing more into an internet tv provider with more managable packages.

Enjoy!

I too have a Roku box, but I just can't yet make the leap to cutting the cable. More power (and money) to you.

If you like the ROKU box you might want to check out the Boxee Box, it has a lot more live channels then ROKU and also there is an add on coming that will let you watch live OTA television as well. :)

The one thing I like about the Roku box is the PlayOn channel, which allows me to stream almost any video stream from my computer to my TV (and DVD recorder ;) )

BTW I should add that the money we saved by cancelling Dish is now going to our cell phone carrier, as we (my wife and myself) just upgraded to smart phones, so we gotta have that data plan.

tried the tivoHD OTA + netflix for a while. it was ok. after a while, netflix was exhausted and hulu was starting to look tempting. however, this was just one tv. the size of the family, and different viewing habits made it clear dish had the best bang for the buck.

AT250 + netflix covers everyone pretty well. $95/month is spendy but the internet is $65/mo.

the extra cash just seems better spent on tv for the family vs cell phones, but to each his own. you may find you might have to cut additional things for that data plan as most providers have done away with unlimited plans.

I thought you live in the city?

I do...the issue is this
The town I live in has only one central office and its in downtown...the problem is two fold
-3 block to the north is the Minnesota River...across the river is a different town. So alot of the radius coverage is null
-most folks dont live downtown near the CO....20 years ago yes but not now. I live about 2 miles away and 1.5 is the best I can get

I am real tempted to **gasp** have Crapcast install internet here. But right now I only pay 13.99 after discounts with Qwest (Centurylink)...comcast after their teaser 6 month rate of $20 goes to almost $60 :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts