Bye-bye Dish Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I don't know about you, but all the free/cheap online content streaming I have found has some form of adversting such as: Hulu/Dish, Crackle, occasional Netflix, etc.

They are all the same, you will never get rid of the commericals completely, especially with Roku or other devices like PS3/Xbox. Even illegal content has commericals. As others have mentioned, Internet Caps are just in their infancy. Otherwise, I would of ditch Dish/Directv along time ago because of this. That and it's not logistically feasible to recieve OTA at my location.

We don't get any commercials on Roku except for the 30 second Hulu bits.

I just didn't care for the Roku. I gave mine to my step sister this past week. I prefer my WDTV boxes. I can still stream many services, but I can also plug my own usb drives into them and play my own music, dvd and blu ray rips or stream them off the network server I am in the process of setting up.

I just didn't care for the Roku. I gave mine to my step sister this past week. I prefer my WDTV boxes. I can still stream many services, but I can also plug my own usb drives into them and play my own music, dvd and blu ray rips or stream them off the network server I am in the process of setting up.
WDTV box?

WD TV Live

I have the WDTV Live Hub with the built in hard drive and just got the new WDTV Live model that has built in wireless and can stream everything from the Hub or play from an external hard drive. The WDTV also supports Netflix, Hulu Plus, Blockbuster, Cinema Now etc...

I have also yet to find a file type the WDTV's can't play.

I just said bye to dish for the 2nd time. I had dish for years, went with sky angel satellite as a lifetime member. We all know what happened with that so I went back to dish. My local store closed down, installer passed away. I went to the fair and spoke with a dish guy there. My box is OLD and quirky, haven't been able to rent movies in a long time. . He suggested I call dish and get them to replace my box with a newer one. I called was told it would be $195 for a new box and installer to bring it outPUS I would have to sign a new contract!. Then another $16 a month if I wanted to add blockbuster as I MUST have a dvr/hd even though I have an old tv too. They treat new customers better so I called to cancel. they tried to charge me $5 a month for 6 months just in case I wanted to come back. then they said if I canceled I have to PAY to ship back the old receiver and the lnb. I told them they could send someone with a ladder to remove the lnb and pick up the receiver. I haven't had a contract with them in almost 3 years . funny to get a new box I would have to sign a contract but yet they say my old contract is "valid" and want me to pay to ship equipment back to them?! The box isn't even wrath the $15 shipping! I had to go through 4 chats, including one where I was just told we are sending you a box, ship it back or else and he ended the chat! finally got a supervisor who agreed I could leave the LNB (as I am not getting a ladder to get it down) and send back the box at their expense. wE will see. I am expecting a bill and more aggravation :( So now its back to sky angel to give them another shot. I did not sign a contract so I can cancel if I hate it. already it buffers too much despite passing their speed test :(

WD TV Live

I have the WDTV Live Hub with the built in hard drive and just got the new WDTV Live model that has built in wireless and can stream everything from the Hub or play from an external hard drive. The WDTV also supports Netflix, Hulu Plus, Blockbuster, Cinema Now etc...

I have also yet to find a file type the WDTV's can't play.
Thanks w/look at it later.

I just said bye to dish for the 2nd time. *snip* I did not sign a contract so I can cancel if I hate it. already it buffers too much despite passing their speed test :(
Too bad you didn't bother to ask a DIRT member here for help because they may have been able to fast track you with what you desired.

Update

Bad form to resurrect a thread, but I thought it would be good to offer an update.

We've had nothing but Netflix since the end of September. So far, it has been very good.

The kids watch shows off Netflix that we are more or less comfortable with: Fat Albert, Pink Panther cartoons, and many others. There are no commercials, which we really like.

As for the adults, we don't watch a lot of TV, but so far we've been satisfied with finding stuff that we like. I don't care to watch sports or news, so I am not troubled by the lack of these.

We tried Hulu to complement Netflix, but found the commercials to be intolerable, so we dropped it. If Hulu offers a commercial-free premium service, I might be tempted to try it, but otherwise I will remain a commercial refusenik.

I was at my parent's house where they still have DirecTV. In spite of the many channels to choose from, I was disappointed at how little I could find that was of interest.

The day that Dish (or anyone else) offers commercial-free TV with substantial a-la-carte programming, for a reasonable price, I will consider resubscribing. But until then, we're totally fine with our current arrangement.

Glad to hear things are going well. Unfortunately for my household, TCM and Fox Soccer Channel are a necessary evil.

Agree that a lot of the channels these days do show very little of interest. Even the intelligent channels show nothing but Pawn Starts and Ghost Hunters and whether there actually was a global flood.

I myelf find that there are too many shows to watch and not enough time. There are so many cool shows on so many different channels and all the movie channels I get. My hard drive and EHD are packed with shows waiting for me to watch and when I do I get to skip past the commercials. Trust me, I absolutely despise waiting for commercials.

Glad to hear things are going well. Unfortunately for my household, TCM and Fox Soccer Channel are a necessary evil.

Agree that a lot of the channels these days do show very little of interest. Even the intelligent channels show nothing but Pawn Starts and Ghost Hunters and whether there actually was a global flood.

I find Pawn Stars educational.:)

We have more channels than needed because customers just like yourself demand certain channels all the time. It's impossible to make everyone happy. People to this day are still asking for more channels. For example: fearnet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)