Bye-bye Dish Network

If it were not for my she boss having to have hgtv, I'd cut the cord in a skinny minute. On Dish America now & feel like it is too much $.

I'm in the same boat as Iceberg. 1.5 is the fastest DSL available to me, can't stand Mediacom. No streaming anything for me.

Do you have to have "highspeed" internet for Roku Boxes?

I have DSL but 2.0 Mbs is about all I get. Would that be enough or would the video be choppy and constantly buffering?

Do you have to have "highspeed" internet for Roku Boxes?

I have DSL but 2.0 Mbs is about all I get. Would that be enough or would the video be choppy and constantly buffering?
Not sure about that. I have 3Mbs download speed but I can't seem to get the HD movies available via Internet on DISH to work. They start to download but never finish.

70% of the stuff we watch is broadcast network television, which is free-of-charge with an OTA antenna. Unfortunately, like most people shell-out $$$ each months because we just gotta have a handful of cable favorite channesl like Fox News, ESPN, Big Ten Network, Versus (hockey). TNT, etc. If I were the FCC, I would authorize any broadcaster (network or cable) showing commercials or accepting ad dollars, to be carried free-of-charge by any registered MVPD. Only commercial free broadcaters would be permitted to charge a fee/subscription for their programming. That's the way I would roll on this issue.

Show a commercial...get your money from the sponsors and not from the customers. ;)

the extra cash just seems better spent on tv for the family vs cell phones, but to each his own. you may find you might have to cut additional things for that data plan as most providers have done away with unlimited plans.

We drank the iPhone kool aid. Trust me, the kids are getting plenty of trigger time with Angry Birds, etc.

For the record, we have a cable modem, and our ISP nominally delivers 10 mbps down, but the best I've ever seen on a speed test is around 7 mbps down.

At the moment Netflix is using about one-third of the total bandwith carried by the Internet.

BTW we make the best use possible of the cable modem, for which we are paying around $60/month. We have Ooma VOIP for our landline.

That's amazing to me. How MANY people really do not have access to high speed.

What's amazing to me is how many folks just don't realize how MANY of us don't have real broadband internet access. I'm an hour away from downtown Washington DC & have no DSL or Cable option at all.

My cable company keeps saying they are upgrading to 15 meg down and 1 meg up (the current top speed is 2 meg), I am on DSL now at 6 down and 768k up. I have talked to the cable company about once every two weeks and tell them the minute they have the upgrade done to sign me up. it will double my cost but right now anytime we stream netflix for some reason we get a your network speed has changed message half a dozen times during a show. We do have a lot on our system, computers, 3 xboxs, Dish, cell phones so I can see us using a lot of bandwidth.

What's amazing to me is how many folks just don't realize how MANY of us don't have real broadband internet access. I'm an hour away from downtown Washington DC & have no DSL or Cable option at all.
It is a amazing that many do not have high speed and areas like mine have access to high speed from 3 different direct sources

It is a amazing that many do not have high speed and areas like mine have access to high speed from 3 different direct sources

Population density? I used to be able to get 6 Mbit here in the countryside, but they've throttled us to 1.5 at the most now. Impossible to use Netflix at that rate. They advertising up to 4 Mbits. I'm a mile from a tower, unobstructed view of the antenna, and 1.5 is the best I get from them these days. Usually, they sustain less than 1 Mbit.

We drank the iPhone kool aid. Trust me, the kids are getting plenty of trigger time with Angry Birds, etc.

For the record, we have a cable modem, and our ISP nominally delivers 10 mbps down, but the best I've ever seen on a speed test is around 7 mbps down.

At the moment Netflix is using about one-third of the total bandwith carried by the Internet.

BTW we make the best use possible of the cable modem, for which we are paying around $60/month. We have Ooma VOIP for our landline.

Yep- there a a lot of i-devices in our house too. Our internet is used heavily, so the cost is justified. That is fine if you mainly just use your phones at home as both ATT and Verizon did away with unlimited plans (Sprint will do the same).

Hopefully your family gets a long great. In this economy, every little bit helps.

How long does everybody think this little joyride of streaming video on the Internet is going to last? There is not enough bandwidth for a massive conversion from broadcast/satellite/cable/DVD delivery. It's going to end soon with huge cost increases or bandwidth rationing.

The television system, today depends on advertising to pay for programming, infrastructure and delivery. The OP should not blame Dish, but be thankful for the huge amount of programming that can be watched, skipping commercials with a DVR. That skipping may end someday but it won't be Dish that instigates the change.

FYI - A friend of mine has 1.5mb DSL and can stream netflix without issue. He doesn't get the top quality, but it still streams fine. He's got a ROKU, and uses it all the time.

I've streamed NF even on 768kbps DSL. But much like 1.5Mbps DSL, it looks like youtube. I personally could not justify $8/month for that kind of quality unless I had only a small SD TV. You still need 3Mbps for good quality and 5-6Mbps for the best. So for cord cutters to get the same quality they do on regular pay tv, they have to pony up for moderately fast internet service. And as others have said, more ads and more caps are in store for free/cheap streaming. Content providers will get their money one way or another in the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)