Bye-bye Dish Network

... more ads and more caps are in store for free/cheap streaming. Content providers will get their money one way or another in the end.

Agreed... but look at Dish with their banner ads. It is a good thing we are allowed to turn them off. It really sucks with Tivo!

How long does everybody think this little joyride of streaming video on the Internet is going to last? There is not enough bandwidth for a massive conversion from broadcast/satellite/cable/DVD delivery. It's going to end soon with huge cost increases or bandwidth rationing.

The television system, today depends on advertising to pay for programming, infrastructure and delivery. The OP should not blame Dish, but be thankful for the huge amount of programming that can be watched, skipping commercials with a DVR. That skipping may end someday but it won't be Dish that instigates the change.

At&t has already started charging for going over a bandwidth cap of 150GB per month on dsl.

Golly, with all the internet speeds listed here, I feel like a king..........:bow

A friend currently enjoys this kind of speed. our TWC download is missing that 1 in the front, lol.

Attachments

• speed.jpg
    speed.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 179
if she doesnt mind it being in SD the Welcome Pack (14.99) has it
Welcome Pack

I was excited when I seen that. Ran it by the boss & is a no go. She likes what we have now & doesn't want to change it. Heck I'd like it to if I didn't have to pay the bill. Oh well, your efforts are appreciated.

What's amazing to me is how many folks just don't realize how MANY of us don't have real broadband internet access. I'm an hour away from downtown Washington DC & have no DSL or Cable option at all.

That amazes me! I live in the middle of WI, about 30 miles south of Green Bay, and I have a couple of options for high speed internet. I had 6 Mbps DSL a few years ago with AT&T. I canceled that, and now I got Charter at 12 Mbps for $35.00 a month. Some of you guys are missing out...
I pay for 12 Mbps. But, it's usually faster as you can see.

Last edited:
That amazes me! I live in the middle of WI, about 30 miles south of Green Bay, and I have a couple of options for high speed internet. I had 6 Mbps DSL a few years ago with AT&T. I canceled that, and now I got Charter at 12 Mbps for $35.00 a month. Some of you guys are missing out...
I pay for 12 Mbps. But, it's usually faster as you can see.

35 a month will only get you 3mb from Cox around here.

I do...the issue is this
The town I live in has only one central office and its in downtown...the problem is two fold
-3 block to the north is the Minnesota River...across the river is a different town. So alot of the radius coverage is null
-most folks dont live downtown near the CO....20 years ago yes but not now. I live about 2 miles away and 1.5 is the best I can get

I am real tempted to **gasp** have Crapcast install internet here. But right now I only pay 13.99 after discounts with Qwest (Centurylink)...comcast after their teaser 6 month rate of $20 goes to almost $60 :eek:

I live 7 miles from the Central Office (approx. 30,000 feet away) and have ADSL of 6.0 MBps down (atleast 5+ at all times with one computer active). Guess, I have a rich neighbor or something.

Last edited:
We replaced our Dish subscription with a Roku box and we have not missed it. The kids are watching cartoons streamed from Netflix-- Fat Albert, surprisingly, and other stuff-- and I really like it. In addition, they are not seeing all the commercials they used to see when watching stuff on Dish, and they have stopped asking us to buy stuff they see in commercials.

That's the one thing I could never get past with Dish... paying $80/month for TV loaded with commercials.

I don't know about you, but all the free/cheap online content streaming I have found has some form of adversting such as: Hulu/Dish, Crackle, occasional Netflix, etc.

They are all the same, you will never get rid of the commericals completely, especially with Roku or other devices like PS3/Xbox. Even illegal content has commericals. As others have mentioned, Internet Caps are just in their infancy. Otherwise, I would of ditch Dish/Directv along time ago because of this. That and it's not logistically feasible to recieve OTA at my location.

I guess Ping really matters or something.

Just ask a gamer!!

Seriously though, a single person would be fine with OTA and the amount of content available online. With a family, things need to be easy and just WORK. Try selling FTA to the better half. No guide = no good! and then, the kids... where are all the good channels?

I live 7 miles from the Central Office (approx. 30,000 feet away) and have ADSL of 6.0 MBps down (atleast 5+ at all times with one computer active). Guess, I have a rich neighbor or something.

You may be 7 miles from the actual Central Office (30,000 feet) but I can guarantee that there is a Remote Terminal fed by fiber a whole bunch closer to be able to get 6 MBs. ADSL will not work at all at 30,000 feet. That Remote Terminal becomes your true Central Office.

This is me:
1431654419.png

EDIT: Actually, the above was back in August. This one is from tonight. A bit slower DL. But, the UL has improved:
1585594422.png
Jebus! At that speed you probably can download content that doesn't even exist yet! ;)
A friend currently enjoys this kind of speed. our TWC download is missing that 1 in the front, lol.
100+ Mbps download rate with a 110+ ms ping?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)