Dish 211 DVI/HDMI Switch problem....

kosair

Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
I hooked up my new Dish 211 this week going to my Panasonic AE700 projector. I have a long DVI cable run and use a Gefen 4x1 HDCP compliant DVI switch. The 942 I previously used in this setup worked perfectly through the switch, but my 211 gives me "sparklies". The 211 works perfectly when hooked directly to the long DVI cable.

Is this an HDCP issue with the 211 or just a lack of HDMI output power on the 211? I will buy a new switch or repeater if that will fix things, but I am a bit concerned that it will not help. Ack!!!!

Chris

Are you using and HDMI to DVI cable? HDMI/DVI adapter? The 211 does not connect "directly" to a DVI cable.

You say a long run, but what is the length you are talking about including all connectors? The last I read there was a limit of 5 meters on HDMI and other digital cables, after 5 meters, signal degradation can occur and as some describe, "it just falls off the cliff."

Also, my personal experience/opinion is to eliminate all unecessary connections. If you are using a HDMI/DVI adapter, that could be replaced with and HDMI to DVI cable, etc.

Last edited:
I am using a dvi cable from my tv then using an dvi/hdmi adapter. My run is only about 6 foot.. It works very well with the 211 and my dvd upconvertor. No interference.

"Are you using and HDMI to DVI cable? HDMI/DVI adapter? The 211 does not connect "directly" to a DVI cable."

Of course I am, how the heck else would I hook it up?

"You say a long run, but what is the length you are talking about including all connectors? The last I read there was a limit of 5 meters on HDMI and other digital cables, after 5 meters, signal degradation can occur and as some describe, "it just falls off the cliff." "

My run is 30'. It works great with my HTPC, my 942, even an 811. I am using a Geffen 4 x 1 DVI switch. For a cheap cable maybe 5 meters is the limit, but I bought a good one and everything works. You also missed where I said in my post that the 211 works when connected directly to the long cable.

The 211 obviously sends less power out of its HDMI port, and I am thinking the switch degrades the signal just enought to give me sparklies. I guess I will have to get either a repeater or a different brand of DVI switch.

Chris

kosair said:
Of course I am, how the heck else would I hook it up?

No need to get snotty, I ask because alot of people confuse the two. You still didn't answer my question either. Adapter or DVI-HDMI cable.

kosair said:
My run is 30'. It works great with my HTPC, my 942, even an 811. I am using a Geffen 4 x 1 DVI switch. For a cheap cable maybe 5 meters is the limit, but I bought a good one and everything works. You also missed where I said in my post that the 211 works when connected directly to the long cable.
No, I didn't miss that part, I was just asking as you didn't provide much info in your OP on what you had.
kosair said:
The 211 obviously sends less power out of its HDMI port, and I am thinking the switch degrades the signal just enought to give me sparklies. I guess I will have to get either a repeater or a different brand of DVI switch.
Chris

Well it seems you have come to your own conclusion on the issue, good luck as you obviously don't take kindly to those trying to help. I never assume anything when reading a post. If it isn't clearly stated what the person is dealing with, then I ask.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)