Dish 500 Dedicated to 129 Works in L.A.

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
I had recently read a post from one living in the Los Angeles area and have problems with HD off of 129, especially rain fade. I can report that my experience with 129 here in the Los Angeles area has been extremely positive, no doubt due to having a Dish 500 looking only at 129. I can further add that not once while watching HD from 129 did any of the many rainstorms, a few of them fairly hard rain, we've had here the last few months ever caused rainfade. I was rather surprised, but pleasantly so, that there were no picture break-ups or pixeling during any of the recent rains. Yes, the point meter on signal strength was diminished, but it was still in the good range, although just barley.

Some folks may require a larger dish, but the Dish 500 seems to do job here in the Los Angeles area. I hope this is of help to some.

Yes, tried the one dish solution, but it kept dropping out on certain channels. After the 3rd installer, and a private e-mail to "Charlie", the 4th installer put up a second dish dedicated to 129, and no problems since.

I am in LA also and got a dedicated 500 pointing to 129, but I am still getting rain fade. Not all 129 channels are gone, just about 1/3 of them. My 129 signals seem to be ranging from 10 to 30 on a sunny day! Should I call Dish to have them out to repoint the dish?

I have a Dish 1000 out here in America's Heartland, and I had rain fade on the 129 last night while a line of thunderstorms moved through. Then again, I also lost the HD-LiL spotbeams from the 119, and those are my strongest signals. At least I could still get OTA digital for weather reports.

I am in LA also and got a dedicated 500 pointing to 129, but I am still getting rain fade. Not all 129 channels are gone, just about 1/3 of them. My 129 signals seem to be ranging from 10 to 30 on a sunny day! Should I call Dish to have them out to repoint the dish?

YES! Get somebody out there to re-peak, assuming you can look at 129 without obstruction. There are still a fair number of poorly peaked dishes out there. Often with 110 & 119 it may not cause too much of a problem, but with 129, it is critical. I had Dish company installer who was a really hard-working young man who had pride in his work upgrade me to HD, and he must've pointed that thing right on the money at 129 because I get NO problems with signal loss at all, not even during the recent rains of Jan-Feb. I understand that 129 may be lost in a really heavy storm, whilst 110 & 119 will be there.

My aunt and uncle suffered with dropout with 110 & 119 for many months, but thought that was the satellite experience. I got them to call Dish, and Dish agreed that the signal was too low, and Dish sent someone out to re-peak the dish, and no problems after that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)