DISH 500+ INstallation

JB884

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I plan on installing a Dish 500+ and had a couple questions for the experts here since this is my first time installing Dish Network equipment (have done DirecTV and FTA).

After reviewing the installation manual they all seem to mention using a peaking meter to align 119, however I know you could also use the receiver's signal strength menu. My question is, does the cable need to be run directly to the receiver for the initial alignment, or can you run it through the switch and still get the signal reported correctly? The reason I ask is I see the information about doing a "check switch" after you get a signal on 119 and I'm not sure if the receiver will recognize the signal initially through the switch until that is done?

If the initial setup can be done through the switch, judging by the manual I assume to you would hookup the 119 output to port 1 on the switch?

Thanks
JB

OK, so you are saying I should not hook up the switch until after getting a signal on 110 or 119?

Thanks
JB

OK, I figured it might work either way as long as it was hooked to the correct port.

Brisak mentioned the DP33 switch, are you referring to the DPP (Dish Pro Plus) 33 switch or is there really both a DP33 and DPP33.

Are the DP34, DPP33 and DPP44 all valid switches to use with a Dish 500 Plus?

Thanks,
JB

There is a DPP33 (Dish Pro Plus) switch only, not a DP33. There is also a DPP44 (Dish Pro Plus) and a DP34 (Dish Pro). All are valid switches to use with a D500+. All 3 switches can feed a single receiver from each output, however, only DPP33's and DPP44's can feed dual tuner receivers with one output. If you use a DP34 with a dual tuner receiver, two feeds are required to operate the receiver. So it really depends what type of receiver or receivers you plan on hooking up.

Anybody know where to find a DPP33 anymore? DNS hasn't had them in the last 7 months and they're not coming back. Breaks my heart, really. I always tell people the story of how I crashed my van and the first things I grabbed were my tools and my 33 switches.

Thanks all for the information on the switches.

One other question on the DISH 500+ for any installers, how true is the elevation scale on the dish? Do you find you need to offset up or down from what your elevation should be because the scale is off?

I ask since I have installed DirecTV dishes that I had to set the elevation 5 degrees from what it should be.

Thanks,
JB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts