Dish 622 L356 Software Release Notes

I have a customer whos 622 will make a funny noise then he gets a black screen and has to rebot the 622 to get his program back. Is the software upgrade suppose to fix this?

Thanks
Bruno

Still issues

After the software update, i am getting complete audio loss, to correct I have to pause and then click start. I am also getting video lockups, that correct themselves in about 10 seconds. My audio problems before the update seemed limited to HD channels, but today I had two on the SCIFI Ch which is SD.

My unit worked 110% perfect until L356. Now its complete junk. Video is jerky and audio is off on live and recorded stuff. HD and SD. I've rebooted a good 10 times. Who do I call to express my displeasure? This is un*f*cking*believable. How could they not test this before sending out the new firmware?

The inconsistency of d/l results is staggering..my 622 has been flawless since L356, where before I did have audio popping, loss of audio on occasion and random jittery video. :confused:

Prior to L356 my 622 had a few problem (mostly with OTA and HD LIL), but not too bad. Post L356 my 622 makes an electronic "buzz" sometimes when skipping back/forward too quickly and also while viewing and recording OTA...the problems are much worse.

I wonder how many of us suffer from the bugs based on HOW MUCH WE WATCH TV? I have been off for 4 days and have pretty much watched my receiver all day long for at least 2 days straight and I have seen the video stuttering on ALL CHANNELS including ota twice or once a day on Friday /Saturday/Sunday. Rebooted everyday at 6:30 pm to prevent any problems during primetime.

My second 622 in the master bedroom gets use on tv2 for my 5 year old son for kiddie programs . But he also plays playstation 2 video games a lot so he doesn't watch consistently. My wife uses tuner 1 on the master bedroom hd tv but only watches it for hgtv shows and very little else unless she doesn't like what I am watching in the livingroom. Have yet to see many if any problems on the second tv except video freezes and that was prior to L356 software update.

So at least in my household I can say the more you use the receiver the more problems you can suffer from.

I just got my 622 last Tuesday. All in all it wasn't bad, UNTIL L356. Since then I have had the black screaming death at least 5 times. Unfortunately, 3 of them have been while watching a recording that was in progress, so the reboot killed the recording. Needless to say, the Wife is not happy at the moment. The other 2 were just while watching a live show. There has to be a cure for this. Does it have to do with using the HDMI cable with a DVI adapter? I wonder.

First off this update is a drastic improvement... audio dropout / sync seems to be good (after a weekend of viewing) finally after having the 622 on all day i'm watching live tv and i see the stuttering / jerky video has returned, skip back (taking it out of live mode) fixes the issue... it really did take a while for that to return, still i'm very happy with this update, the audio issue was horrible, this stuttering video is also very annoying but pressing skip back is not bad or rebooting if nothing else is going on is not the end of the world and i often don't watch live tv and it does seem to happen after a long day's viewing...

I'm most upset with the thought dish still has these issues to fix before they can start enhancing this box (USB ext storage...) at the rate they are updating we'll see another update in a few weeks

Update: I had my first random reboot, it happened while I was watching a program that had started to and I started it over to watch it, it was also recording on tuner 2 another program... at 730 when the episode I was now watching finished recording and the DVR was starting to record antoher program right after I got a black screen and then reboot.
No big deal though, because 3 hours later the two programs I was recording (which would now be clipped a bit after reboot) are replayed.

I am happy to also note that since i've improved cooling my issues seem less frequent, after a week and a half my average temp has gone from 123 to 110. I'm sure heat has a lot to do with performance (as it does with most computers). I think dish cheaped out on the cooling, they shoudl've had an intake and an exhaust fan (lower rpm because it'd constantly be running).

Overall I still feel this update is a good step forward, the audio droupouts only seem to occur when a program switches from stereo to DD (like when showtime goes from pre show / commerical mode to the program / movie starting) I've not had any audio sync issues, and the video strobing has only happened a few times since.

Last edited:
Since 356, my audio dropouts have gotten less frequent but longer duration when they do happen. Also, other than a few of the weird sound, blackout-reboots, I hadn't had too many of the video problems others hd reported but last night I lost all video on one tuner for a few minutes.

I then switched to watching a dvd and that seemed to work fine:D

A bunch of problems this week.

1. I tried to record SS Doomtroopers off of Sci Fi Saturday Night. It completely ignored my first timer (It's missed a few timers this week). OK, no problem I'll record the second showing a few hours later...... Due to the DST changeover it chopped the show in half and only recorded half. C'mon Dish. You've had 10 years now and you STILL can't program code to handle the switchover easily?

2. Many of my weekly timers (about a dozen) have nothing in the schedule window even though there are shows coming up. Deleted all of these (at least it is obvious when they are toast since they are empty) and built new ones.

3. I'm getting pixellation on ABC out of New York occasionally (blocks hit the screen, I see neon green blocks and then it clears).

4. Dr. Who on SciFi fried halfway through. It kept saying an error about losing part of the program and then just cut out 60% of the way through. Luckily they reran it yesterday so I could record it again. Turns out my 1st tuner glitched. I ran a check switch and the numbers didn't pass the tests in sync. Unplugged the two sat feeds and reversed them (an old 921 trick that seems to reinitialize things) and unplugged the power inserter and plugged it back in. Ran the check switch and it worked this time.

I'm still not brave enough to try FOX HD out of NYC. I'll try again with American Idol this week to see if the audio droputs have diminished....

THey're back..........

Audio drop outs are back on my Voom Moster hd show I recorded Sunday. Every 3 or 4 minutes made the show unwatchable. Also had the screaming black screen of death today followed by various stuttering on ALL channels both sat and ota.

Can it get any better?:rolleyes:

622 Updates

As I read through the posts and the related problems w/the 622, one thing comes to mind: When did you guys order and receive your receiver? Are the few lucky ones who don't have these problems the early birds who got theirs as soon as they became available?

My 622 worked fine until 356. Now I have the video jerkiness and audio dropouts and audio sync problems. Geez, I hope they fix this soon.

riffjim4069 said:
Mine took the update by had the infamous blank screen w/audio when I turned it on a short while ago. Rebooted and everything appears to be working...so far.

I have had this happen about 10 times. WTF. It ends up doing it only when I am watching an OTA channel. It can only be fixed by unpluging the 942. It is real annoying when trying to watch 24. Why is there not a fix for this?

I was one of the first people to get one. I got it from my local installer the very same day he got it. I have had very few problems. An occasional lock up, 1 screen of death, and very occasional audio loss for a split second. Popping has disapeared since the L356. L355 solved any audio/video sync problems I had.

Although some people tend to get errors/problems moreso than others, I believe the software versions are going to yield the SAME results for everybody. Maybe I'm naive in thinking that way. :cool: It just seems as though the general sences shows Black screen of death and video choppiness. It's pretty obvious to me the video choppiness was introduced with 356. These two items, however, should be top priority for E* for 357 release.

I have to admit though (by knocking on wood) that I have not received the black screen of death. However, the choppy video plagues me. I use the skip back button to temporarily resolve the issue.

I'm certain they're working on a solution for release ASAP.

Also, I'm not sure that the video choppiness is recorded to the hard drive. I'd assume that's just during playback (if you can press skip back and it fixes it, one could assume it's not recorded into the stream.) Basically, it's not actually dropping frames. It's just having a hard time playing back.

Once the issue is fixed, your recordings should play back fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)