Dish 622 L4.05 Software (the software formerly known as 409)

AT&T, now I know you have issues:). BTW, the Senior Member seem appropriate under your name:D.

Just an update, I am still at 4.05 on both my units.

Yes, I have some issues, but I have no bananas. Unfortunately, my time is limited. I just hope I live long enough to see Indianapolis HD locals on E* and/or real mpeg4 HD channels.

Originally Posted by long_time_DNC
Here's a really nasty L409 issue:

Checkswitch/signal acquisition has been a sore point with me since 4.XX. I saw something similar today and I didn't have a storm.

I think I have a major bug with this update that affects my MPEG4 locals. I recorded two shows the past two nights both on different stations. When I watched them tonight, they were completely unwatchable. Artifacting, hangs, skips affect 90% of the shows (not exagerating). I thought I would do an experiment. I watched live and recorded "My Name is Earl". There were no progblems watching it live. Picture never pixelated, no artifacts, hangs, skips, nothing. When I watched the recording afterwards, it was unwatchable. I also recorded it on my 622 that did not get the 4.09 update and it was fine.

S~

Originally Posted by long_time_DNC

Checkswitch/signal acquisition has been a sore point with me since 4.XX. I saw something similar today and I didn't have a storm.

I think I have a major bug with this update that affects my MPEG4 locals. I recorded two shows the past two nights both on different stations. When I watched them tonight, they were completely unwatchable. Artifacting, hangs, skips affect 90% of the shows (not exagerating). I thought I would do an experiment. I watched live and recorded "My Name is Earl". There were no progblems watching it live. Picture never pixelated, no artifacts, hangs, skips, nothing. When I watched the recording afterwards, it was unwatchable. I also recorded it on my 622 that did not get the 4.09 update and it was fine.

S~
It hosed last weeks Earl for me as well...

It hosed last weeks Earl for me as well...

I've never had a problem before. Even affected two sat recordings from 2 different nights from two different stations. The recording of Earl on my other 622 was fine. I just sent engineering a flash drive with reports from 4.05 and dropped them an e-mail with what's happening with 4.09 now. I'll let you know what I hear back.

S~

I'm typing this with one hand and knocking on wood with the other because 4.09 seems to have fixed my OTA issues. However, I haven't tried recording anything since receiving the software update. I really hope they didn't fix one issue only to break something else.

wonder if the fact I just got hooked up yeaterday puts me at the "end of the line" for this update?
P Smith posts data over at DBSTalk (not here though....) that lists what receivers are scheduled to get the updates. There's no rhyme or reason and appears to be random to some extent.

Look at it this way, if the software works, you'll only be missing it for maybe a week. If it's crap, you'll be glad you didn't get it.

Tonight, we had a very heavy down-pour. Rained hard for about 10 minutes...I was watching the NASCAR race on HDNet and when I heard the rain pounding on the roof, fully expected a rain-out any second. Yep, sure enough, lost signal and waited. It rained hard for about 8-10 minutes. When it started to slack up, I looked out the window to the south to see how things were in the LOS path. Skies were lightening up to the south, so I figured I'd get signal re-acquisition any minute.

It was checking various TPs on all 110/119/129, like it couldn't find anything. Checked the skies again - it'd had stopped raining almost entirely and to the south, in the line-of-sight path were broken clouds. My 622 was still checking to get a signal.

After 15 minutes of waiting after the squall had passed, I rebooted the box. It came back up, but still couldn't acquire a signal. It kept searching, to no avail. Tried another soft reset. It rebooted, came up again, still couldn't acquire a signal.

Okay fine. Turned of the TV, powered off the UPS for the 622 and the TV and waited about 5-6 minutes. Powered up the UPS, waited for it to do it's battery check, then turned on the TV. The 622 had already done it's spin-up and "light show". It downloaded guide info, then nothing. Not a thing. I waited another 5 minutes and did another soft reset. It rebooted, locked onto 110, TP4, did it's 0-5 count and up came the race.

Prior to L409, after a rain-out, I never had problems with it re-acquiring the signal, especially with favorable sky conditions to the S-SE.

So, is this a new issue to 409, or just a quirk one-off (hopefully) incident?

I am still at 4.05 and had a similar experience a couple of days ago. I thought it was just a fluke as I had never had it happen before. Went through same sequence (power off, soft and hard reboot, etc.). Finally got service back after 5-10 minutes.

Tonight, we had a very heavy down-pour. Rained hard for about 10 minutes...I was watching the NASCAR race on HDNet and when I heard the rain pounding on the roof, fully expected a rain-out any second. Yep, sure enough, lost signal and waited. It rained hard for about 8-10 minutes. When it started to slack up, I looked out the window to the south to see how things were in the LOS path. Skies were lightening up to the south, so I figured I'd get signal re-acquisition any minute.

It was checking various TPs on all 110/119/129, like it couldn't find anything. Checked the skies again - it'd had stopped raining almost entirely and to the south, in the line-of-sight path were broken clouds. My 622 was still checking to get a signal.

After 15 minutes of waiting after the squall had passed, I rebooted the box. It came back up, but still couldn't acquire a signal. It kept searching, to no avail. Tried another soft reset. It rebooted, came up again, still couldn't acquire a signal.

Okay fine. Turned of the TV, powered off the UPS for the 622 and the TV and waited about 5-6 minutes. Powered up the UPS, waited for it to do it's battery check, then turned on the TV. The 622 had already done it's spin-up and "light show". It downloaded guide info, then nothing. Not a thing. I waited another 5 minutes and did another soft reset. It rebooted, locked onto 110, TP4, did it's 0-5 count and up came the race.

Prior to L409, after a rain-out, I never had problems with it re-acquiring the signal, especially with favorable sky conditions to the S-SE.

So, is this a new issue to 409, or just a quirk one-off (hopefully) incident?

long_time,

Could you post a screen shot of your check switch results? This will help the folks at Dish Network figure out why some receivers are doing this.

Thanks.

Yeah, the 409 reference is probably too old for most here. FYI, it was the flip side song on the Beach Boys first record (Surfin Safari) way back in 1962. Also for those who may never have seen one, it was on a 45 RPM record. No CD's back then.

I've got L409 on both 622's. I see the new SS meter, and the signals are MUCH lower (expected I guess), and I got a "you have a problem with your switch" message, so I did a check switch and all 4 birds showed up.

It does still seem to take a while to go through all 5 steps of acquiring sat signal from any of the birds.

Maybe I need to have DNSC or Southern Star out here again :(

LER

For anybody that has L4.09 and is having problems with their receiver losing the satellite signal "error 015", could you please post a screen shot of your check switch results? BTW, that picture is from the Tech Portal not my R00 and S00 numbers from my receiver.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Acquiring%20Satellite%20Signal.jpg
    Acquiring%20Satellite%20Signal.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 400
I'm still on L4.05 and not complaining. Let others find the problems.... :) The current s/w I have is working fine for me other than very occasional OTA dropouts (yellow screen).

Ill have to say as far as 4.06 went, my OTA improvement made me happy without any added issues. I have not seen anything YET with 4.09, but its early.

It needs to be turned off (Stand-by) in order to get guide info and firmware updates.

622 just has to have updates enabled. It will power itself down and do updates and downloads overnight or whenever you have it scheduled.

I have mine set to do updates at 3am and then make it do an auto tune at 4am and have set the inactivity time out off so it is on virtually 23 hours a day.

Yeah, the 409 reference is probably too old for most here. FYI, it was the flip side song on the Beach Boys first record (Surfin Safari) way back in 1962. Also for those who may never have seen one, it was on a 45 RPM record. No CD's back then.

A friend of mine showed his teenage son a turntable with an LP playing on it. The teen asked how do you fast forward and rewind, the reply, "pick up the stylus and move it right or left".

Now dazzle 'em with an 8-track tape.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)