Dish 625 Remotes UHF/IR questions

dish625

Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
southern US
Folks,
I have Dish 625 2 tuner receiver and a 5.0 IR dish remote for TV 1 with green tab and 6.0 IR/UHF PRO dish remote with blue tab for TV2

The receiver is downstairs in living room and TV1 remote does its thing here with its IR signal.

TV2 remote with its UHF signal controls what I watch in room upstairs.

The System info remote addresses for both is 1.

When one presses MENU->System Info-> installation and click on TV1 UHF PRO Setup
it is set to disable.
Now I am moving my receiver to a cabinet and would like to be able to change channels with TV1 remote. Can somebody help with instructions. Do I need to buy another IR/UHF Pro remote. and how to set it all up

Thanks

You will need to enable the UHF on TV1, You will need to change the address to another of the 15 addresses so TV2 dosen't control both, and you will need a second UHF remote. If you can't read your instruction manual DISH has it available on line or TECH Support can talk you through your problem areas.

Be careful not to overheat the 625 in its new home. Cooling is probably more important than all but sufficient AC line power in insuring good long-term performance.

Is there a particular version of UHF remote I need for TV1

I saw some talk on various blue green keys but not sure if I need a UHF pro with a green key with green 1 also

Also if there is instructions online as I do not have the manual would be very helpful as I prefer that vs calling to tech support.

Thanks

An identical remote to the TV2 remote, which was a UHF Pro 6.0, will work and is probably the cheapest. Newer remotes will also work, but they'll be more pricey. The UHF Pro 6.0 remotes have a 2-position switch under the TV1/TV2 tab, and the remote is rather simple in that the switch makes it IR-only, or UHF-only. That is how both TV1 and TV2 remote addresses can be set to channel 1. The receiver knows that it's TV1 if it's IR, and that it's TV2 if it's UHF.

What I did was buy another UHF Pro 6.0 for a few bucks, flipped the switch over to TV2 to turn the UHF on, and then I took the tab out and carved on the plastic such that it can't move the switch to IR any longer. Reinserted so that it said TV1. ;) Then I went to the System Info screen (with the IR remote I still had) and got ready to set the receiver TV1 channel to IR + UHF channel 2. I know, that's a little confusing, but it takes fewer steps to make TV1 use channel 2 than it does to make TV2 use channel 2. Ah... Then you follow the instructions in the manual which I don't recall very well. But IIRC you hold down the SAT button until it starts blinking, hit the numeric key of the channel you want (such as 2), and the pound sign. This sets the remote to UHF channel 2. Then hit the Record button, and this should change the receiver TV1 to your newly hacked UHF remote.

An identical remote to the TV2 remote, which was a UHF Pro 6.0, will work and is probably the cheapest. Newer remotes will also work, but they'll be more pricey. The UHF Pro 6.0 remotes have a 2-position switch under the TV1/TV2 tab, and the remote is rather simple in that the switch makes it IR-only, or UHF-only. That is how both TV1 and TV2 remote addresses can be set to channel 1. The receiver knows that it's TV1 if it's IR, and that it's TV2 if it's UHF.

What I did was buy another UHF Pro 6.0 for a few bucks, flipped the switch over to TV2 to turn the UHF on, and then I took the tab out and carved on the plastic such that it can't move the switch to IR any longer. Reinserted so that it said TV1. ;) Then I went to the System Info screen (with the IR remote I still had) and got ready to set the receiver TV1 channel to IR + UHF channel 2. I know, that's a little confusing, but it takes fewer steps to make TV1 use channel 2 than it does to make TV2 use channel 2. Ah... Then you follow the instructions in the manual which I don't recall very well. But IIRC you hold down the SAT button until it starts blinking, hit the numeric key of the channel you want (such as 2), and the pound sign. This sets the remote to UHF channel 2. Then hit the Record button, and this should change the receiver TV1 to your newly hacked UHF remote.

Well, you could do that or get a superior 21.0 UHF Pro so you have a remote that has far more capabilities; such as more preaddressed codes and learning capability. Just flip the key to Green 1 and do the address.

The real trick nobody mentioned is that when you go to set the satellite code in system info (after enabling tv1 uhf pro), you have to go up and highlight tv1 box first to avoid changing tv2 code

The real trick nobody mentioned is that when you go to set the satellite code in system info (after enabling tv1 uhf pro), you have to go up and highlight tv1 box first to avoid changing tv2 code

Really? On the 622 and 722(-k) the system knows that you are controlling ONLY TV1 because the remote TV2 key has been flipped to TV1. The receiver knows it is TV1 and not TV2.

not sure what you mean by this. suppose i get the uhf pro 21, flip the key to green 1 and then go to system info , change address for remote tv1. where does what you say above fit in.

Thanks

Well, you could do that or get a superior 21.0 UHF Pro so you have a remote that has far more capabilities; such as more preaddressed codes and learning capability. Just flip the key to Green 1 and do the address.
I bought two 21.0's for our 625 because the TV that was on it was too new for the 6.x series TV codes. And as per DISH and my personal findings, the 21.0 will not work with the 625, they barely work with my 722. Matter of fact they barely work in IR. The best remote I have come across is the 6.4. Major problems with the earlier 6.x series range wise, are they were constantly dying. Having replaced the TV on that box I can use a 6.4. No having mash down on the buttons, the activation touch is far better than previous remotes and it works better all over the house. I use UHF remotes on 5 tuners with the 6.4's and it's the best remote that they have made that interacts with the "older" receivers. I have the two 21.0's in a box somewhere hoping to be able to use them someday. But not planing on it.

Just a while ago when they put my two dishes back, due to constant signal dropping. When the tech went to do the check switch he grabbed a 21.0 that I had out then and it wouldn't work right and he said they were crap and asked if I had another remote he could use?

not sure what you mean by this. suppose i get the uhf pro 21, flip the key to green 1 and then go to system info , change address for remote tv1. where does what you say above fit in.

Thanks

I pulled up the 625 manual here: http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/user-guides/receivers/522_625_UserGuide.pdf where on the pdf page 50 the instructions are given to use UHF Pro with TV1. I think, after reading this, that the 21.0 remote will work with the key set to "2" and not "1" as I earlier explained. The 625 must not work on the UHF Pro Band B, only Band A which is what the 21.0 uses with the "2" key inserted.

Bottom line is that it (21.0) will work with the 625, as evident by the application notes for the 21.0. The earlier link in this post gives the 625 manual directions to get it running.

Interesting experience. Is this you here: 21.0 Remote + 625 = ? - DBSTalk.Com ? I have had no problems with my two 21.0's.

I bought two 21.0's for our 625 because the TV that was on it was too new for the 6.x series TV codes. And as per DISH and my personal findings, the 21.0 will not work with the 625, they barely work with my 722. Matter of fact they barely work in IR. The best remote I have come across is the 6.4. Major problems with the earlier 6.x series range wise, are they were constantly dying. Having replaced the TV on that box I can use a 6.4. No having mash down on the buttons, the activation touch is far better than previous remotes and it works better all over the house. I use UHF remotes on 5 tuners with the 6.4's and it's the best remote that they have made that interacts with the "older" receivers. I have the two 21.0's in a box somewhere hoping to be able to use them someday. But not planing on it.

Just a while ago when they put my two dishes back, due to constant signal dropping. When the tech went to do the check switch he grabbed a 21.0 that I had out then and it wouldn't work right and he said they were crap and asked if I had another remote he could use?

I pulled up the 625 manual here: http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/user-guides/receivers/522_625_UserGuide.pdf where on the pdf page 50 the instructions are given to use UHF Pro with TV1. I think, after reading this, that the 21.0 remote will work with the key set to "2" and not "1" as I earlier explained. The 625 must not work on the UHF Pro Band B, only Band A which is what the 21.0 uses with the "2" key inserted.

Bottom line is that it (21.0) will work with the 625, as evident by the application notes for the 21.0. The earlier link in this post gives the 625 manual directions to get it running.

I had never heard that. From my experience the remotes and receivers will run both UHF Pro A Band and B Band. If they don't have a toggle(5.x and 6.x) it is determined by the code number. Also, contrary to what someone said earlier, there are 32 remote codes, you can program anywhere from 1 to 31.

I think it's a known secret that the addresses run above 16.

So, if a 6.4 Remote with Blue Key with black #2 is compatible with a receiver that comes with 21.0 with #2 key for TV2, wouldn't the 21.0 with key #2 be compatible with receivers with the 6.4 Remote with Blue Key with black #2? Specifically I'm talking about the 722k and the 625. Reference this link for the 722k; AFFORDABLE ENTERTAINMENT : Remote Wizard . This tells me the 21.0 should work with the 625.

I think it's a known secret that the addresses run above 16.

So, if a 6.4 Remote with Blue Key with black #2 is compatible with a receiver that comes with 21.0 with #2 key for TV2, wouldn't the 21.0 with key #2 be compatible with receivers with the 6.4 Remote with Blue Key with black #2? Specifically I'm talking about the 722k and the 625. Reference this link for the 722k; AFFORDABLE ENTERTAINMENT : Remote Wizard . This tells me the 21.0 should work with the 625.

Despite the obvious fallacy of that argument, comparing a higher-class receiver recognizing a lower-class remote to a lower-class receiver recognizing a higher-class remote, the 21.0 theoretically should work fine on the receiver.

Also, on a side note, I carry a 6.0 remote with me and use it on every receiver I service (excluding 922).

Despite the obvious fallacy of that argument, comparing a higher-class receiver recognizing a lower-class remote to a lower-class receiver recognizing a higher-class remote, the 21.0 theoretically should work fine on the receiver.

Despite the fallacy of the argument, you agree with it...

Several websites represent that the 21.0 will work with the 625. This being one: LINK

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)