Dish 721 error smart card not authorized...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Now my 721 has been experiencing video loss and it is associated with channel 0. When I channel up the picture comes back. The sound was screwing up too. It is not doing it tonight but it done it to me about three times the past day or two.

If Dish would exhange it for a 622 and waive the extra fees and let me own the receiver then that would be GREAT! I'd go for that in a heartbeat.

If Dish would exhange it for a 622 and waive the extra fees and let me own the receiver then that would be GREAT! I'd go for that in a heartbeat.

No schlobotnik. The ViP622 is far more advanced than the 721. ALL of us would go for that in a heartbeat. Not sure Dish could stomach the costs.

I'm declaring mine fixed. I've had no problems whatsoever for two days now. I hope everyone else is, or will be in the same boat.

Hope you are right. Mine went thru a similar period where it seemed ok - although not as long, about a day and a half. Then it resumed. My experience is that the problem is very random. It could show up any time on any channel. PiP mode seemed to make it more probable, but then maybe that's logical since both tuners are engaged and so you have twice the opportunity. It happened plenty on single tuner mode., Running the replacement reciever Dish sent now - no problems whatsoever. Very stable.

thought I'd post an update for those still struggling (if any) with the error 005 - smart card error. After contacting Dish, they sent me a 522 in exchange. I got my answer in writing - I am the owner of the 522 just like I was for my 721 and all fees unique to the 522 and others (like the dvr fee) are waived. I really could not be happier how it worked out.

So far - no problem. No blank screen or lost sound ... The 522 is different, but some of the features are better, some the same, some not quite as good - but overall I am pleased.

I was advised by Gregory Wall at ceo@echostar.com that there will be a DVR fee of $5.98 per month for the replacement 522. Here is his reply to me:

If you choose to have the 721 receiver replaced, it will be replaced with a DISH Player DVR 522. The 522 will be owned by you and you would be required to return the 721 to DISH Network. The 522 is a fee based DVR and if you activate the replacement you will incur a $5.98 per month DVR service fee.

Don't quite ubderstand why some customers were told that there will be no DVR fee.

I can see Dish Network giving all 721 owners eventually a free 522 because they will make up for the cost of the receiver with the DVR fees. The one thing about the 522 I like over the 721 is the name based recording and you can watch two different things on two tv's at the same time. To me though, if I am going to be charged an additional monthly fee then they are going to have to do better than a 522. They are going to have to get a 622/722 to me instead otherwise refund the $550 I paid for the 721 and I can buy a 622/722 for less. If they want to pay me a fractional refund for the 721 since it is used then I should still get $200-250 out of it and it would not take much more to get a 622/722.

Since they are imposing fees to activate one then they should send it for free. It would probably take threatening to cancel the account to get one and they would probably still want you to sign up for HD and want it to be a leased receiver.

I can see Dish Network giving all 721 owners eventually a free 522 because they will make up for the cost of the receiver with the DVR fees. The one thing about the 522 I like over the 721 is the name based recording and you can watch two different things on two tv's at the same time. To me though, if I am going to be charged an additional monthly fee then they are going to have to do better than a 522. They are going to have to get a 622/722 to me instead otherwise refund the $550 I paid for the 721 and I can buy a 622/722 for less. If they want to pay me a fractional refund for the 721 since it is used then I should still get $200-250 out of it and it would not take much more to get a 622/722.

Since they are imposing fees to activate one then they should send it for free. It would probably take threatening to cancel the account to get one and they would probably still want you to sign up for HD and want it to be a leased receiver.

Well, as the 721s die, they are being replaced by 522s now. I'd hazard a guess that by the end of 2010, even if nothing else changes, there will be precious few 721s in the field. I suspect that by the end of 2009 they'll retire all of them, just to reduce the programming maintenance load.

I'm hearing of a $10 credit for 721s. Sigh. What they'll really do is offer a deal on upgrading, hopefully to ViP DVRs. I suppose my just done Dish n it up will disqualify me for a year, but I'd gladly pay $75 to upgrade my 721 to a leased ViP722, even considering I'll have to start paying the DVR fee for it. Maybe sometime during the next year they'll make an EA offer to current customers.

"Imposing fees to activate one?" I'll need to activate a ViP722, replacing my ViP622, and they did not say anything about an activation fee. Do I have a surprise coming my way?

navy,

they're referring to the fact that the new DVR has the monthly fee where the 721 did not.

If I still owned a 721 I my opinion would be that what you bought was a fee-free DVR, and whatever Dish deems to replace it with should remain fee-free, since it was THEIR FAULT they can't replace it with the same model anymore.

navy,

they're referring to the fact that the new DVR has the monthly fee where the 721 did not.

If I still owned a 721 I my opinion would be that what you bought was a fee-free DVR, and whatever Dish deems to replace it with should remain fee-free, since it was THEIR FAULT they can't replace it with the same model anymore.

Yes, however this is the exact reason they've been jonesing to get rid of the 721 for so long. They couldn't colect any DVR fees from it. The tivo lawsuit just gave them the excuse, unless there really was no way to update the software on those so it doesn't infringe.

true... since it's based on dishLinux, they likely could have "upgraded" it to the same new interface as the 522/625 and ViPs without much trouble (i.e. different hardware).

I am not paying them one red cent to upgrade to a 622/722, especially since they will probably want me to lease it when I paid $550 for the 721 just for them to have me pay more in fees to swap to a different receiver. If they offer me $10 for the 721 and try to force me to lease one as an upgrade that will be the final straw and I will be switching to Directv to get a deal. I got screwed when I was a retailer, I will NOT get screwed as a customer too. The only thing that has kept me with Dish Network is the way their dual tuner DVR receivers are setup but Directv has dropped the prices on their HD DVR's now.

The 721 is faster than the 522 in the EPG. You can scroll very fast. No additional fees whatsoever. If it had name basd recording I would have all 721 receivers.

Well, you have gotten years of use out of the 721, so expecting full price credit may be a bit much. What other product that we buy would ever give full price credit toward an upgrade, years later? Everything has a reasonable lifetime.

Well, you have gotten years of use out of the 721, so expecting full price credit may be a bit much. What other product that we buy would ever give full price credit toward an upgrade, years later? Everything has a reasonable lifetime.
I'm totally disagree - the case have own merits, they are pretty simple - 721 have all functions to serve you same way as 522/625 ! There is no loss in functionality and features. Don't tell me about NBR - dish screwed DishLinux software beyond normal support, just see how they plan and their intention - they want to kill the devices by slow burn their owners. Same for 501/508.
And remember all old legacy SD receiver still working and deliver same functionality/service for more then 10 years.
The company policies are sucks when it come to us, regular users.
Proved in many occasions:SW or programming, CSR or other things :(.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)