Dish 721 error smart card not authorized...

pjmrt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
The past day I've been encountering (3 times this evening alone) a strange error on my Dish 721 reciever. On normal broadcast channels, and not doing anything (remote sitting on the table) I would get a box pop up on the reciever telling me basically my smart card is not authorized to purchase that channel. This would be a local channel or one of my other channels. Then the reciever does something squirrely. Usually I lose sound on that channel for a while. Once my PiP seemed to disappear (only to reappear later). Sound likewise eventually returns.

Has anybody else seen this? I've rebooted once and will reboot again shortly. I was theorizing that maybe with the Dish-TiVo lawsuite, maybe Dish downloaded some defective software or something. Anyway, its puzzling.

Yea, I got the same thing last night on my 721. I just changed to a different channel then back to the one I was watching, and everything was fine after that. I think it I was watching the Discovery channel when it happened. I didn't think much of it because it happens every now and then.

Mine is also getting this smart card error message(sometimes). If I wait the sound comes back but not the picture, but if I change the channel and back it returns.
It also(sometimes) after overnite update, incorrectly tries to find CNN(200),TWC(214) on 61.5 sat instead of 119 sat. I have to reboot to correct this problem.
These problems are not our recievers but something E* has done or is doing with the data stream? &/or encryption?.

Mine is also getting this smart card error message(sometimes). If I wait the sound comes back but not the picture, but if I change the channel and back it returns.
It also(sometimes) after overnite update, incorrectly tries to find CNN(200),TWC(214) on 61.5 sat instead of 119 sat. I have to reboot to correct this problem.
These problems are not our recievers but something E* has done or is doing with the data stream? &/or encryption?.

I'm lucky I have that problem also.:rolleyes:
It's some of my locals (8734-8736) that are on 61.5. But my only fix was to disconnect 61.5, I couldn't find anything else to work.

I have the same problem, but with some of my local channels. The receiver maps some of my locals off the 61.5 when they are suppose to be from the 110. After I do a reboot then in maps it correctly (from 110).

It's some of my locals (8734-8736) that are on 61.5. But my only fix was to disconnect 61.5, I couldn't find anything else to work.
Hmmm maybe I'll try that. The only reason I have 61.5 hooked up is for the HD. I have my 721 on a second dp34 switch, maybe I can just unhook the 61.5 feed into that switch :).

I'm having the same problems on my 721. For several days, I've been intermittently getting the "your smart card not authorized to view this channel" message. Then, the sound starts going out after a while, but it does not come back on mine, unless I change channels and then switch back. Now, the video will go out after a while and will only come back if I change channels and then switch back (or turn it off and then back on).

I was going to call Dish for a replacement on my 721, but after seeing this thread, it looks like it's a Dish problem. Guess I'll still call them and report it.

I rebooted several times. So far today, it has behaved relatively normal so hopefully its over whatever problem was causing it. This has to be the strangest bug yet.

I'm having the same problems on my 721. For several days, I've been intermittently getting the "your smart card not authorized to view this channel" message. Then, the sound starts going out after a while, but it does not come back on mine, unless I change channels and then switch back. Now, the video will go out after a while and will only come back if I change channels and then switch back (or turn it off and then back on).

I was going to call Dish for a replacement on my 721, but after seeing this thread, it looks like it's a Dish problem. Guess I'll still call them and report it.

They won't replace it. The 721 was one of the models that Dish can no longer activate, due to the Tivo injunction. That includes replacements. They'll send you out a 522 or a 625 as a replacement if you have a bad 721.

Apparently I spoke too soon. My 721 went out 3 times so far today, same symptom of "smart card..." error box then black screen. I don't have a dish pointed to 61.5 either. My guess is the dish tivo software has a virus....

Add anotehr person to the list. I am getting it sporadically throughout the day. I usually have the pip going. That seems to be the only thing I can tell is constant. The channel doesn't seem to matter.

They won't replace it. The 721 was one of the models that Dish can no longer activate, due to the Tivo injunction. That includes replacements. They'll send you out a 522 or a 625 as a replacement if you have a bad 721.

Not true. (unless something has changed in the last few weeks)

I had tuner 1 go out on my original 721 last month. Dish promptly replaced my 721 with a refurbished unit. There was no problem with activation at all.

Side note: I still love my 721. My original unit lasted something like 8 years with no problems. I think the 721 is one of the finest units that Dish has ever made.

I still wonder what the microphone input on the front panel was going to be used for...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)