Dish 722 Homeplug/Ethernet

mlmahon

Feb 19, 2009
SouthEast Texas
I have a question I haven't seen yet.

I have a 722 DVR connected to the internet via a Homeplug adapter to my router (works great). Can I connect my Slingbox to the internet by using a crossover cat5 cable from my Slingbox to the ethernet jack on the 722?

In other words, does my good Homeplug connection on the 722 make its ethernet port hot as well? I haven't tried it yet because I'm out of town right now.

How about the opposite. With my 722 wired to my internal network do I have homeplug on my network ? Can I add other devices with just homeplug remote adapters ?
(what's the cheapest adapter ?)

This would require the 722 to act as a repeater or a bridge. I'm pretty certain that Dish did not invest the time and effort required to pull this off. Since the HomePlug and ethernet are likely seen as two separate interfaces to the 722, it would require some coding to bridge these two interfaces.

I would not expect this to work. Besides, if someone were to hook up both, that could cause a "looping" situation. Yeah, the more I think about this the more I really don't think it would or should work.

Answer my own question.

I tried it with a crossover cable and straight cable. Doesn't work.
The Slingbox ethernet indicator comes on but won't connect, so no bridge. Oh well. It was worth a shot.

I'm using a couple of NIKO 85Mb/sec Turbo Homeplug adapters I got on ebay for $40 + shipping. Plug and Play. work great. I may buy a couple more.

I have a question I haven't seen yet.

I have a 722 DVR connected to the internet via a Homeplug adapter to my router (works great). Can I connect my Slingbox to the internet by using a crossover cat5 cable from my Slingbox to the ethernet jack on the 722?

In other words, does my good Homeplug connection on the 722 make its ethernet port hot as well? I haven't tried it yet because I'm out of town right now.

Seems that you have lots of information about the Dish Network... Do Share MORE...

You have it hooked up via Homeplug adapter? Why not use the one that is built into the 722? Then put the Homeplug on the Slingbox.

"Why not use the one that is built into the 722?"

Most of the time, it doesn't work if you're using a UPS or good power strip. I guess, he will need to plug it directly into the wall and use the Homeplug for the Slingbox as suggested.

I assumed he WAS using the built in homeplug, as he was asking if the available ethernet (there is only one) on the 722 could be used as a bridge.

I assumed he WAS using the built in homeplug, as he was asking if the available ethernet (there is only one) on the 722 could be used as a bridge.

I thought so too until he said he was using a couple of Homeplug adapters and would buy a couple of more.

What would happen if you had two E* receivers, with one hard-wired to the router and the other working over HomePlug? Would the hard-wired receiver be seen by the network as two different MAC addresses (one through the ethernet port and one through the HomePlug)? Assume both are plugged directly into the wall.

Brad

OK. Lemme splain it to you.

One homeplug adapter is connected to my wireless router and plugged in the wall outlet. (My homeplug source base supporting up to 15 remote nodes.)

Another homeplug adapter is plugged in another wall outlet and connected via cat5 to my slingbox. (Remote node)

The 722 is connected to the internet via direct homeplug through its AC power plug. (Remote node)

I'm buying 2 more adapters.

One will be used to connect my 222 receiver to the internet since it does not have built in homeplug capability. (remote node)

The other will be used as another remote node to an older non-wireless laptop in my wife's sewing room.

Now, does everybody understand??

Last edited:
I'm a newbie and i have a dvr 722.. I run a long phone cable to connect to my receiver and save the 5$ fee.. I saw a zyxel homeplug for 25$ at buy dot com .. If I buy that and connect it to my router in my computer room, will the dvr-722 automatically pick up the broadband connection from my family room using the inbuilt homeplug feautre in 722 ? Also, will I be able to schedule online dvr recordings by this above method? TIA...

thanks mlmahon... bought the zyxel powerline adapter.. plugged into wall and my receiver immediately picked up the broadband connection.. looks like dishonline no longer working and we have to use sling beta for setting up dvr recordings... was able to do that with no problems...thanks for your help...

i'm not sure what more I can reasearch with my vip-722.. can u suggest some threads for learning more about the Vip-722 features... TIA

Since the HomePlug and ethernet are likely seen as two separate interfaces to the 722.
:eureka
I think you just answered a question I asked in another thread a while back. I have my 722s power plugged into a surge protector/power strip. I paid a pretty good chunk of change for it. I wanted a good one to provide a good level of protection for my AV stuff. I use ethernet to HomePlug for my network connection. I see two IP addresses on my router for my 722. Is it possiable that one is for the built in homePlug on the 722, that maybe making a connection through the power strip, and one for the ethernet adapter connection?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)