dish 722 receiver reboot

joe/rod

Original poster
Aug 31, 2017
milford,ohio
thought I would try to get any updates available as i have notice this type issue has been going on since at least 2009 and that is the receivers rebooting themselves several times a day, a total loss of power then new signal search and back on,, i have 2 receivers(vip722/722k) doing this that were swapped out earlier this year,it sounds like there are 100's of these units out there doing this and yes I have done the add the fan thing to aide cooling and plugged directly into the wall socket tried other wall sockets and still have this issue,dish wants me to move to the hopper system and that just rubs me the wrong way,I get the impression they want everyone to move and their just circulating these receivers around to people hoping we give up and move to hopper,so having said this has anyone come up with any solutions that really work to keep these units on? thank you in advance
Joe

thought I would try to get any updates available as i have notice this type issue has been going on since at least 2009 and that is the receivers rebooting themselves several times a day, a total loss of power then new signal search and back on,, i have 2 receivers(vip722/722k) doing this that were swapped out earlier this year,it sounds like there are 100's of these units out there doing this and yes I have done the add the fan thing to aide cooling and plugged directly into the wall socket tried other wall sockets and still have this issue,dish wants me to move to the hopper system and that just rubs me the wrong way,I get the impression they want everyone to move and their just circulating these receivers around to people hoping we give up and move to hopper,so having said this has anyone come up with any solutions that really work to keep these units on? thank you in advance
Joe

Do you have an OTA antenna hooked up, and your local tv channels scanned in? If so, and the OTA tuner is tuned to a scanned in channel that loses signal, it'll cause the receiver to reboot after a bit.

IF that scenario is correct for you, temporarily delete all your scanned in local channels, and see if the receiver still reboots.

Reactions: TheKrell
Do you have an OTA antenna hooked up, and your local tv channels scanned in? If so, and the OTA tuner is tuned to a scanned in channel that loses signal, it'll cause the receiver to reboot after a bit.

IF that scenario is correct for you, temporarily delete all your scanned in local channels, and see if the receiver still reboots.
ok i can do that so are you saying my choice is a good running receiver for the sake of having all the locals? I would have to ponder that abit as we have about 60 locals that we can access and loosing those is not an enjoyable thought, as we speak i have deleted the locals and will report the outcome, i could run the local antenna directly into the tv my only miss is the dvr on locals,,, alot to ponder on

The deletion of scanned channels is just a test to see if your issues come from there. If that is the case, and I'm unsure that it is, the next step is to delete only the channels that have very low signals. Normally those low signal channels would cause a "complete signal loss" screen to come up even if you were watching a satellite channel, but not cause a reboot.

Reactions: primestar31
ok i can do that so are you saying my choice is a good running receiver for the sake of having all the locals? I would have to ponder that abit as we have about 60 locals that we can access and loosing those is not an enjoyable thought, as we speak i have deleted the locals and will report the outcome, i could run the local antenna directly into the tv my only miss is the dvr on locals,,, alot to ponder on
The deletion of scanned channels is just a test to see if your issues come from there. If that is the case, and I'm unsure that it is, the next step is to delete only the channels that have very low signals. Normally those low signal channels would cause a "complete signal loss" screen to come up even if you were watching a satellite channel, but not cause a reboot.

Bobby is correct. Deleting the local channels is simply a test. IF it solves the reboot problem, you then possibly need to improve your antenna system to give a better signal level to the channels you are watching that are causing the reboots. OR, remove the specific channel that is causing the reboots.

It's a bad bug but it exists. I've had it myself, but it is, what it is and you can only work around it as best you can.

Reactions: pattykay
Bobby is correct. Deleting the local channels is simply a test. IF it solves the reboot problem, you then possibly need to improve your antenna system to give a better signal level to the channels you are watching that are causing the reboots. OR, remove the specific channel that is causing the reboots.

It's a bad bug but it exists. I've had it myself, but it is, what it is and you can only work around it as best you can.

thankyou for that I did delete all channels and that lasted a couple hours before it rebooted,not sure i go about figuring out what channels causes it looks like i'm destin for the hopper

thankyou for that I did delete all channels and that lasted a couple hours before it rebooted,not sure i go about figuring out what channels causes it looks like i'm destin for the hopper

On your remote, press MENU, then in the menus, press in turn: SYSTEM SETUP, INSTALLATION, SYSTEM INFO.

Wait until it completes. Do you see something like "LNB DRIFT" up in the upper left "STATUS" field? Or does it say "Good"?

On your remote, press MENU, then in the menus, press in turn: SYSTEM SETUP, INSTALLATION, SYSTEM INFO.

Wait until it completes. Do you see something like "LNB DRIFT" up in the upper left "STATUS" field? Or does it say "Good"?
when i got to this point it says warning select details and when I do that it says check the following
1 weather which is sunny
2 rain which is sunny
3 blockage of dish looks open
4 dish out of alighnment ?? not sure
5 cable connection ?? tech gave ok

so you might be on to something i did have a tech out a couple weeks ago and checked the dish connections etc and found nothing however this status does not look promising

when i got to this point it says warning select details and when I do that it says check the following
1 weather which is sunny
2 rain which is sunny
3 blockage of dish looks open
4 dish out of alighnment ?? not sure
5 cable connection ?? tech gave ok

so you might be on to something i did have a tech out a couple weeks ago and checked the dish connections etc and found nothing however this status does not look promising

Yep, problem with your setup. Possibly a flaky lnb. I had one (eastern-arc lnb) go bad, and it caused reboot at random.

i have with my rv but here we're trying to hit 3 satelites so i bettter go with the so called experts thanks for your input
just an fyi after contacting dish with this info they said the lack of signal should not cause the reboot,there fix was either another refurbished 722 or move to the hopper it's obvious they want everybody to move away from the 722

just an fyi after contacting dish with this info they said the lack of signal should not cause the reboot,there fix was either another refurbished 722 or move to the hopper it's obvious they want everybody to move away from the 722

Lack of signal CAN cause your receiver to reboot, I've seen it myself with my receiver some years back. It's up to you, but if you want to keep the 722, I'd demand they send out a tech to realign your dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)