Dish 722 w Sling - There must be a way to switch to TV1

TV2 is indeed mirrored with the adapter on the dual tuners (I have seen it glitch before and not tell me that Sling is in use.)

Very interesting comment! So why is Dish denying that mirroring function to us? IMHO that devalues the Sling Adapter (further).

So you think the Sling adapter is decrypting the Dish SAT stream?

I haven't been sniffing the USB data stream, so I'm not absolutely certain that the outgoing stream to the Sling Adapter is encrypted. But when it first came out, it was described as doing a decryption, transcoding, and re-encryption of the data. This was done precisely to prevent people from capturing the original program data in all it's pristine digital perfection. ;) Now I suppose you could be right and the data stream is decrypted within the receiver, but then it would have to be re-encrypted before being sent out the USB to the Sling Adapter. Without evidence that encryption hardware exists in our receivers, I assumed :D that the original encrypted data stream remained as is and was merely switched to the Sling Adapter.

The TV2 tuner may not need to decode the mpeg stream, but I'm quite sure it is needed to "tune" to the correct transponder/channel and decrypt the signal.

Well, I'm quite sure that no decryption is needed at all to demultiplex. This is because the whole transponder is following a DVB-S standard. That is why "we" can generate the uplink report, and why you can tune to channel 101 (and years ago others) with a FTA receiver, while the rest of the channels on that transponder were encrypted and thus not viewable. Would you believe that, when I got my twinhan tuner going, I could watch not only 101, but also Angel 1 and 2, the NASA channel, and even GolTV, because they were not encrypted at that time.

Last edited:

3rd 922 and still no VOD (channels 1 or 501 never show up)

What's in the H/J box

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)