Dish Adds Another HD Channel - Food Network

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I do not want to fuel an all out war, but I agree with Charper. I love HD. I never thought it was a big deal until I saw it. I agree that Directv has fallen behind Dish in terms of HD content in general, but for me specifically, it is not a big deal. I do watch HGTV alot as I have recently purchased a fixer-upper, but I don't care if it is in HD. I want my sports in HD. I love the Sunday Ticket, i get alot of baseball in HD and now college football will be starting soon. I have HBO and Showtime HD and the only thing I watch on them is boxing. I love what Dish is doing. They are raising the bar for Directv. This makes for good competition. Directv will respond next year and Dish will respond to that, etc. I am a happy Directv sub and have bee since 1997. If they drop the ball I will consider switching in 2011, that's the start of the new Sunday Ticket contract.

bgsmallwood said:
E* also has National Geographic HD and that is the HD channel I want more than any other.
That and the better SD PQ are why I am considering leaving D*

Okay People I am tired of these threads. So for a couple Facts, everyone on the E* Board said I want this channel, I cant wait for this channel, etc. When it came, This channel is crap, why does it have to be in the highest teir, This channel only shows a COUPLE HD shows the rest are in SD. Also for you guys that Want your Movie CHannels in HD, when they came on everyone complains because its just a step up on the SD channel, meaning no bit rate, looks like a dvd according to many. Its the same old human trend want something you dont have and when you get it you are unhappy. Like I said unless things have changed, there were alot of complaints about National geographic and The movie Channel in HD when they started up.

Right on Stuart!!:up

I usually stay out of the D* vs E* threads but, your reply hit the nail on the head.

I compare these threads to the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge vs. Japan etc wars. Same thing.

I like my Grand Marquis and my D*. :D

And I'm NOT a shill for Ford or D*:exclamati

stuart628 said:
Okay People I am tired of these threads. So for a couple Facts, everyone on the E* Board said I want this channel, I cant wait for this channel, etc. When it came, This channel is crap, why does it have to be in the highest teir, This channel only shows a COUPLE HD shows the rest are in SD. Also for you guys that Want your Movie CHannels in HD, when they came on everyone complains because its just a step up on the SD channel, meaning no bit rate, looks like a dvd according to many. Its the same old human trend want something you dont have and when you get it you are unhappy. Like I said unless things have changed, there were alot of complaints about National geographic and The movie Channel in HD when they started up.

Yeah, we don't need HD anyway. It's over rated. Don't know why anyone even buys those
expensive HD televisions anyway. Only a few channels are in HD.

SD is good enough for anybody for the next couple of years, right?

bgsmallwood said:
Yeah, we don't need HD anyway. It's over rated. Don't know why anyone even buys those
expensive HD televisions anyway. Only a few channels are in HD.

SD is good enough for anybody for the next couple of years, right?

Ummm No! LOL, I want HD, but I am willing to wait until next year, so Directv has room to add it, but I see what you are saying, Let HD mature a little and get quality channels? I like being a guinea pig, but yes alot of people are in that boat with you, wait a couple years, SD is good enough for me(not me personally I am a huge sports fan and there is nothing like sports in HD,thats why I came to directv!).

hd

Whats so great about D ,Ive been with E for ten years now and it sure beats cable. I keep looking at d and i see another cable co, at least E they are trying with all there new hd choices . harv

Forget the BS if you like HD and spent the money on it. Then have the best of
all three worlds DTV-Dish and D Cable. I will just keep enjoying all my HD .
Let the best man win!

DirecTV is behind on HD and will be for awhile.

There was a posting a few months back showing the estimated launch dates and such for DirecTVs new birds - which will bring them up to speed.

Dish will also probably be adding INHD in the near future (30 days). They already have the channel uplinked and Scott G. from SateliteGuys says he has herd that it is not rumor and will be happening!!!

At this rate and the current PQ of the HD ch's that are on and being added....I hav e lost interest in the HD that is being provided by both Directv and Dish. I sub to both providers and really haven't watched or been compelled to watch any HD for a long while. I am looking foward to replacing my HD receiver with either a B-Ray or HD DVD player.....so I can finally watch some movies. This is just my opinion, but the HD that is being offered now has lost its WOW factor.

Food HD is so compressed it looks like DirecTV HD. Such a shame. Mpeg4 on both providers looks like crap compared to the source. Had a big group over for the ND game tonight and I flipped between ABC on D*, E*, and OTA. No comparison. It's so sad. :-(

God I hope better mpeg4 encoders come out over the next year and that D* stops downrezzing when the new sats get in place.

wouldn't it be more feasable for D* to NOT downrex the mpeg4 channels since it is on a different sat? Why would they do it? I thought they could fit more channels on the new sats and the mpeg4 would allowthe channel to pass while using up less bandwith? what am i missing?

scooby2 said:
Food HD is so compressed it looks like DirecTV HD. Such a shame. Mpeg4 on both providers looks like crap compared to the source. Had a big group over for the ND game tonight and I flipped between ABC on D*, E*, and OTA. No comparison. It's so sad. :-(

God I hope better mpeg4 encoders come out over the next year and that D* stops downrezzing when the new sats get in place.
Absolutely, the ND game on OTA blew away the picture quality offered on E* and my DishHD now looks just as bad as the HD channels on D*. Will thing get better in 2007? We can only hope! IMO, things will only get better once the telcos deployment of fiber/IPTV reaches critical mass.

Madtown HD Junkie said:
wouldn't it be more feasable for D* to NOT downrex the mpeg4 channels since it is on a different sat? Why would they do it? I thought they could fit more channels on the new sats and the mpeg4 would allowthe channel to pass while using up less bandwith? what am i missing?
Assuming D* is using similar encoders as E* and/or AT&T then they are not able to encode full rez 1920x1080i HD to mpeg4 in real time. MPEG4 is not ready for prime time yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)